• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could Intel be the mid range budget gaming saviour this year?

Associate
With Raja Koduri, ( love Raja btw ) leading the charge and the development of the Intels new Xe DG2 well under way and on schedule for this year release. This could be the perfect break that the industry needed.

With the new big player coming online and entering straight into the deep end. With its own fabs, manufacturing and distribution, Intel can flood the market with a decent MID range cards in great quantities and the same time undercut the competition.

With six cards slated top of the range :-

512 EU Intel Xe DG2 could be touching 6800 / 3070 ( 512eu 256bit 8/16GB )
384 EU Intel Xe DG2 touching the 6700xt / 3060ti ( 384eu 192bit 6/12GB )
256eu 128bit 4/8GB
192eu 128bit 4GB
128eu 64bit 4GB
96eu 64bit 4GB

Also possibility of a 960 EUs card which may mix it up at the top end of the scale.

I cant bring myself to say it. But intel might be the MID range saviour, to this crazy 2020/1

;););)Arrival is slated for Q2 2021 - APRIL to JUNE

Last edited:
Soldato
If these cards can mine, they won't last 5 seconds on launch day and for the rest of the year.

Would be nice to see another big player on the market to compete though and keep those prices in check. Consumer wins in the end, just not right now... we're losing badly lol.

Associate
OP
If these cards can mine, they won't last 5 seconds on launch day and for the rest of the year.

Would be nice to see another big player on the market to compete though and keep those prices in check. Consumer wins in the end, just not right now... we're losing badly lol.

they probably will be good miners, as Raja likes his GPUs to have good compute units, like his Vega and VII series.
This in turn "could" release some pressure from AMD / NVIDIA side, making sku's more available to the average gamer.

Soldato
they probably will be good miners, as Raja likes his GPUs to have good compute units, like his Vega and VII series.
This in turn "could" release some pressure from AMD / NVIDIA side, making sku's more available to the average gamer.
I really hope so, in relieving the pressure that is but i know of a few miners that are looking at expanding their setups meaning 20-30 cards in 1 household, dedicating entire lofts and bedrooms for it.

I can't see this mining crisis ending unless the gov intervenes and starts putting bigger taxes on it or theres a big crypto crash again. In particular with the incoming economic climate, Mining might become a permanent way of income if people lose their jobs etc.

Soldato
Just can't see it helping. There is also the price. As has been mentioned, Intel is not known for its budget pricing. If this were to be of any use at present they would have to supply by the bucket load and they are just not in a position to do that, nobody is.

Soldato
Pretty certain I recall Intel saying DG2 will be produced on external node last year. While they have not confirmed who rumours since it will be on TSMC, not inhouse in there own fabs. So while in theory they could have built up supply on there own fabs if they went that route, given how massively popular TSMC is right now for plenty of chips, may not be a whole lot of capacity they have acquired. Still a third party into the mix would be most welcome.

Associate
OP
Just can't see it helping. There is also the price. As has been mentioned, Intel is not known for its budget pricing. If this were to be of any use at present they would have to supply by the bucket load and they are just not in a position to do that, nobody is.

Just because intel is not know for budget pricing in well established areas of the market doesn't mean anything in this instance.

They are going to be the new kids on the block when it comes to dedicated GFX cards. I think intel will be going for market share rather than profits with the first round of these cards. Hence why i think their pricing policy will be a lot more aggressive than people think or realise.

Associate
Simply. No.

People complain about drivers, intel make drivers once a year. Then game developers have to make adjustments for this new stuff aswell. At best 4 years before they are going to be good.

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Presumably Intel will have a large R&D cost to recoup as a new entrant so you'd imagine these aren't going to be priced cheaply especially if competitors are struggling to supply.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see them succeed but I guess you could class me as a pessimist hoping to be pleasantly surprised rather than someone betting my house on it.

Soldato
I really hope so, in relieving the pressure that is but i know of a few miners that are looking at expanding their setups meaning 20-30 cards in 1 household, dedicating entire lofts and bedrooms for it.

I can't see this mining crisis ending unless the gov intervenes and starts putting bigger taxes on it or theres a big crypto crash again. In particular with the incoming economic climate, Mining might become a permanent way of income if people lose their jobs etc.

If they banned crypto tomorrow you still wouldn't be able to buy a 3xxx series GPU, so I'm not sure what you're hoping for.

Back
Top Bottom