Logitech Powerplay - Worth the premium?

Soldato
I have the G502, had it for awhile but hate connecting the mini usb cable to charge and got a feeling its gonna wear it out eventually.

Are the powerplay mats worth the premium price? Ive seen a few places selling them for under £90 now but i can't get my head around how much i need to pay for a charging mouse mat!

Whats your experience with it? Reliability? Softness/hardness?

Thanks

Associate
I've had mine for almost 2 years now and it's still going great, no fraying at all.

I'd say it feels about halfway between and soft and hard mat.

I know it's expensive but for me at least it was well worth it to get away from either wires or having to remember to charge a mouse.

Associate
I've just this second ordered one as per the reasons given by the OP (and the wife playing WoW draining the mouse).

Is it worth it, no idea. Does it sound like a goodish idea, sure. I plan to cut down my OcUK mat, as I like it, and slide the charging pad under it. By all accounts that should work.

Permabanned
My cloth matt took 2+ years to fray as it will eventually and I swapped to the included hard surface which I actually prefer, the only issue is both the mouse pad and powerplay pad can slip about easy so I followed a good tip and bought some musicians "Gorilla Snot for Guitar Pick and Drumstick Grip - Green"

IMO buy one or use a magnetic USB charger for your mouse like many do.

G502 Lightspeed magnetic charger : LogitechG (reddit.com)

Those magnetic USB cables are perfect for the G915! : LogitechG (reddit.com)

Anyone have thoughts on using the SuperLight with magnetic USB cable? : LogitechG (reddit.com)

Would it be dangerous to use third party magnetic charging cable like this? Cause i find this very convenient : LogitechG (reddit.com)

G915 + G502 with Magnetic Cables : LogitechG (reddit.com)

Last edited:
Associate
Then don't buy it. I'm happy with my choice.

Exactly, mine's cost me about £1 a week so far and is still going strong so I think that's great value for money considering I no longer have to think about charging my mouse.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine :)

Permabanned
Some mats will effect its charging level or even stop it charging, it has a blue ribbed surface on the rear of both matts like so:

logitech-powerplay-image-5b931.png

I have no clue why my older matts all stayed put and this slides all over the place both the part on the desk and the matt to charging base, but as I said above I sorted that with that Gorilla Snot, easy to remove and clean once per year during spring cleaning as I just clean around it weekly.

Also you need to get it to sit just right or you get a red/sore wrist where the 2 layers sharp edges rub you (I have it near the edge of desk so I rest on it not desk/it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cool to know which mats will work and not work, how about you try both and see if the software tells you its charging the same or less?

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys for all the info, convinced the wife to get it me for my bday. She was abit meh with the whole price thing for a mouse mat but she can sorta see my point with the charging haha.

Will give my feedback when i get it in a few days time. Quite excited to receive a mouse mat lol.

Soldato
OP
So tempted to get the powerplay as I intend to upgrade to the 502 wireless but that magnetic cable mod is a great idea.
I looked at this as i use the same magnetic cable for my iphone when im not using my wireless charger. Does work rather well but i want to eliminate the cable altogether.

Got my Powerplay coming today, looking forward to trying it out :D

Soldato
Is it really worth spending hundreds of pounds to avoid the hassle of having to plug your mouse in once a week or so to charge! Each to their own....:o

Man of Honour
It’s great. Bought one in a sale. Never have to charge the mouse, monitors the battery to keep it in the optimum window, year and a bit later and still as good as new. Lovely surface for the mouse to glide on too.

Permabanned
Is it really worth spending hundreds of pounds to avoid the hassle of having to plug your mouse in once a week or so to charge! Each to their own....:o

Why you even in this thread, it cost £89 and come with 2 matts (soft /hard) some normal mouse pads are half that price on their own as they are "fashionable brands"

Last edited:
Soldato
Why you even in this thread,

Just for the reason that I hadn't heard of "Logitech Powerplay" and was curiious what it was! That and to question the value proposition of a £100 mouse mat once I found out! :)

I agree that many of those micro-USB interfaces feel like they may break after repeated use. Though for the price of this mouse mat you could literally buy a replacement mouse in the event anything happens to it.

Personally I'd just buy one of the large gaming surfaces from another premium brand for £20-30 but it's the OP's call! Not looking to pick a fight over it :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice piece of tech! Was surprised at how big it was! For some reason i was expecting something a lot smaller so was shocked when i saw the box!

Easy to install, more or less plug and play. I wasn't aware that i needed to remove the usb receiver for the original mouse and let the mat take over as the receiver. Had to google as the RGB light was just flashing blue no matter what i did only to learn that i needed to do that bit. Once thats done, it just works. Ghub picks it up no problem, overall very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom