Declining Terms and Conditions on a TV

Associate
OP
A good projector maybe?

When I bought my current TV my intent was to use it as a dumb unit, but it still has SMART features as it's literally impossible to find anything without. That said, you don't need to set up Wi-Fi if you don't want -- I did for firmware updates mainly.
Ironically my projector bulb just blew, impressively 30 mins ago, off to the service centre tomorrow... Benq W1400, about 5 or 6 years old...

Soldato
I never connected my upstairs samsung to the wifi. Every time I use it I get to use it without any adverts or 'smart stuff' appearing. It's a wonderful thing. TV downstairs though is on the network (vlaned inet only) and the amount of hits it genereates to samsung services and things is incredible, 10's of thousands. And it pumps ads and thing in to the user interface. It's disgusting.

Associate
OP
Tha
I never connected my upstairs samsung to the wifi. Every time I use it I get to use it without any adverts or 'smart stuff' appearing. It's a wonderful thing. TV downstairs though is on the network (vlaned inet only) and the amount of hits it genereates to samsung services and things is incredible, 10's of thousands. And it pumps ads and thing in to the user interface. It's disgusting.
Thanks, I will definitely try it without wifi, as has been said, if it never connects to the internet, it can never phone home....

Associate
OP
Well, my wife seems to be of the opinion we should stick with a projector, but get something like the Samsung Premier short throw laser.... Apparently every time our (her) friends come over they love our projector setup and want to replace their TV's.... not sure if projectors are starting to go smart though... the high end ones at least.

Soldato
Everything is going smart slowly but surely. If you are really that worried connect it for setup use a SPAM bucket email address and false details for anything that requires a signup and then disconnect it from the internet. You are going to have to get used to these things as everything from TV's to freezers is going online to light bulbs is going online!

Soldato
Well, my wife seems to be of the opinion we should stick with a projector, but get something like the Samsung Premier short throw laser.... Apparently every time our (her) friends come over they love our projector setup and want to replace their TV's.... not sure if projectors are starting to go smart though... the high end ones at least.

Given you already have things set up for an overhead and given the money you're spending, would you not be better off with something like the Sony VW270ES?

Soldato
some tvs wil not work unless you submit to the devil. Same as these cheapo chinese smart devices that NEED all your details to create and account to turn a light on and off.
They don’t need any of your details they need a spam trap email a made up name etc. You choose if you are giving out your real details or some utter junk.

Back
Top Bottom