• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - RAYTRACING ON

Caporegime

In its Where Gaming Begins Ep. 3 broadcast yesterday the Radeon RX 6700 XT was officially announced, however, AMD confirmed that Resident Evil Village will feature support for Ray Tracing and FidelityFX on PC as well.

While the company did not reveal any additional details but you can see that Capcom will make use of Ray Tracing technology to improve reflections and lighting in its next horror game by way of raytraced reflections. Now being an AMD-sponsored title, we can assume for now it will not be compatible with DLSS 2.0. AMD still has no hardware accelerated answer towards NVIDIA's ML supersampling techniques, which they could have really used in combo to increase RT performance overall.

BTW if you had not noticed it, AMD had a good look at NVIDIA's RTX ON marketing, you can see that AMD is now marketing their solutions as "Raytracing ON". More of the same, really. In the presentation from yesterday just go to minute 9:42 of the video you can see the implementation of this technology in Resident Evil Village.

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/a...lage_will_have_ray_tracing_support_on_pc.html

:p

Soldato
Meh?

Maybe start with the raytracing at whatever level of implementation being usable and worth turning on.

Not requiring the most expensive cards would also make it worth doing the work for.

Soldato
Meh?

Maybe start with the raytracing at whatever level of implementation being usable and worth turning on.

Not requiring the most expensive cards would also make it worth doing the work for.

I'm sure the game was developed on the new consoles so will be supporting RT which should run well on a 6700XT at least. I doubt it will run at 4K 60 though.

Caporegime
Sure and I've got a leprechaun hiding my pot of gold in the back yard

Utterly clueless. Dirt 5 has a more minimalist approach to ray tracing which amd performs well and is one of their sponsored titles, you really think they can't do the same in Resident Evil considering it's a feature they're advertising? If their performance was going to tank in it i highly doubt they would be showing videos of it during the 6700 series launch talking about ray tracing and fidelity fx.

Associate
Sure and I've got a leprechaun hiding my pot of gold in the back yard

Check another game that AMD helps devs with and it has RT. Free preview can be downloaded and benchmarked by anyone. It's on Steam: Riftbreaker. It has built-in benchmark and devs described on their blog how and why exactly they use RT, for what etc. Lots one can learn reading that.
In any case, it works very very well on my 6800 in ultra-wide 1440p resolution - I get way over 100FPS on benchmark with RT on Med, without the need for any DLSS. And it looks very good, I have to say. Ergo, RT can be done right, when it makes a difference and sense to use, without killing FPS and without the need for up-scaling tech.

Soldato
i barely noticed the difference other than the reflection in the floor...i am not sold on RT in games.

In rendering, there may be some benefits to give more photo realistic images but dont need an expensive card to do that. RTX20 can do that (take a bit longer to render)

Caporegime
i barely noticed the difference other than the reflection in the floor...i am not sold on RT in games.

In rendering, there may be some benefits to give more photo realistic images but dont need an expensive card to do that. RTX20 can do that (take a bit longer to render)

That's the main issue with it, currently it really does take a scene to be comically exaggerated to really notice much difference one way or the other. Cyberpunk seems to have some areas that are doing specifically that, when it comes to a dark moody game like RE the differences are more subtle.

Associate
Utterly clueless. Dirt 5 has a more minimalist approach to ray tracing which amd performs well and is one of their sponsored titles, you really think they can't do the same in Resident Evil considering it's a feature they're advertising? If their performance was going to tank in it i highly doubt they would be showing videos of it during the 6700 series launch talking about ray tracing and fidelity fx.

Sorry Gerard, got to disagree with you here. Dirt5 looks a bit crap mate, looks like a badly ported playstation 4 game.
RT is just not AMD thing this generation, same like RT was not really ready for turing generation.
I think there is nothing wrong with that.

Soldato
Sorry Gerard, got to disagree with you here. Dirt5 looks a bit crap mate, looks like a badly ported playstation 4 game.
RT is just not AMD thing this generation, same like RT was not really ready for turing generation.
I think there is nothing wrong with that.
RT is not really there for nvidia yet either and is only really doable if used with DLSS, we are still a couple of gens away from having decent RT performance in games.

Caporegime
RT is not really there for nvidia yet either and is only really doable if used with DLSS, we are still a couple of gens away from having decent RT performance in games.

It's gonna take a while for either camp to have the performance to a level where it's an afterthought in terms of performance hit. Antialiasing took many many years and many iterations to get to a point where the performance hit was minimised, this is something similar and might well take longer.

Antialiasing got more or less introduced in 2001, 3dfx with super sampling and nvidia with multisampling, it's only really in the last few years that it's got to a point where the performance impact is negligible and its an option you turn on without giving it much thought, in some instances it can still really kick a gpu square in the balls if you have a game where super sampling is an option (War Thunder being a good case example).

Associate
That's false.

At 1440p my 3090 can do fine with RT on. 4k you really need DLSS.

AMD is one gen behind on RT and DLSS.
Infront for simple rasta workloads.
Behind on heavy rasta workloads.

Back
Top Bottom