• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best bang for buck 2nd hand GPU right now?

Caporegime
Mind you, mobile GPUs are a total minefield this generation.

Not really. Sure some are gimped but that's likley to help with cooling or bad yields. Possibly battery life too.

I'd still rather get a 3060 decent species laptop for £997 than spend £600 on a desktop 3060. Least you can sell your desktop parts on at inflated prices.

I just checked and a 1650 super sold on eBay for £400. That's more than double it's RRP.

Soldato
Not really. Sure some are gimped but that's likley to help with cooling or bad yields. Possibly battery life too.

I'd still rather get a 3060 decent species laptop for £997 than spend £600 on a desktop 3060. Least you can sell your desktop parts on at inflated prices.

I just checked and a 1650 super sold on eBay for £400. That's more than double it's RRP.

Depends, you can get a desktop card at a reasonable price if you keep your ear to the ground. Just because they're selling cards at silly prices on eBay and some retailers it doesn't mean you have to buy one. That said I see the situation with the laptop parts has improved since last time I checked and listing the full specs, TGP, etc. is now a requirement so you're less likely to be caught out by a lower performance model than you were expecting.

I'd still say that someone looking at a laptop specifically in lieu of a gaming desktop isn't going to be massively happy with greatly reduced framerates that make it more like a desktop GTX 1660 or something just because their battery life is a bit longer.

Totally agree that £600 is silly money for a desktop RTX 3060 though.

Associate
I believe the 1080 TI is still to be had at "reasonable prices" in a gone-mad market. One of my friends got a high end model 1080 Ti that was well looked after for £300, yes it's not a 3080/3090 but it still runs the majority of the games at decent enough FPS and quality especially since he's still on 1080p.

I think key with second hand is find someone who you know looked after their products and know what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom