First Open Loop Build

Associate
I'm trying to play my first open loop build and I'm getting stuck in a indecisive loop as to what to do. I've bought my an Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Case (how original I know), and I'm trying to work out what's the best setup. I was put off the XL as I was trying to get away with a slightly smaller case, and the 011 Dynamic just seems to get a good review and support.

In terms of what I need to cool, a 5800x, plus whatever GPU I can eventually land. Looking for quietness more than overclocking overhead but it would be nice to be able to turn the dial up a bit too. Currently in a Dark Base 700 with a Alpenföhnl AIO. Temps are ok... but not special. Idle around 50, averaging mid-60's when doing anything and can peak at 80 during gaming. Plus the fan noise is pretty loud (3 x 120mm on the Rad, 1 x 140mm Exhaust, 2 x 140mm at the front). I think the restricted airflow at the front doesn't do the case any favours.

First decision point is between a front or side distro plate. I can't quite decide, and there seems to be conflicting advice between the D5 and DDC pumps. If I went side plate I was thinking 2 x 360mm Rads, bottom set to pull, top set to exhaust. Would that give me enough airflow for cooling?

If I went front plate I was thinking top 360 rad exhausting, bottom 240 rad (as I don't think a 360 will fit?) potentially also set up to exhaust, and then 3 intake fans on the side.

I'm not wedded to EKWB for the plate, but they do seem to have the best rep. Also would love any suggestions on where to buy kit, based in the UK and it seems hit and miss what's available. Wary of buying from EKWB direct, not so much because of import duty, more the potential delay to shipping if it gets stuck in the customs queue.

Any advice welcome!

Associate
Just FYI - if you get a front distro you can fit a 360 rad in the side. I put a Hardware Labs LS360 in there without having to mod the case at all (now wish I'd got the LX360 as I reckon it would have taken a thicker rad).

I didn't use the EK distro though so you'd need to check the clearance for fans.

Associate
I would consider a D5 over a DDC just from a reliability standpoint. I've watched a couple of YouTubers who have a lot more tech experience than most state that D5s far less often cause issues than DDCs.

I would recommend clear fluid and opaque tubing just to make maintenance easier - but then this is a very personal style choice.

EK are fantastic - their customer service are fantastic.

I'm sure you are already aware of these, but just in case your are as brazen as I was:-
- Leak test before running the machine with everything turned on
- Never use a tool to tighten anything - only use your hands; you will more than likely break the fitting and or the block/Res/rad if you use a wrench
- If you're going soft tubing - Tube cutters are worth the £5; they make life a LOT easier

Associate
I would consider a D5 over a DDC just from a reliability standpoint. I've watched a couple of YouTubers who have a lot more tech experience than most state that D5s far less often cause issues than DDCs.

I would recommend clear fluid and opaque tubing just to make maintenance easier - but then this is a very personal style choice.

EK are fantastic - their customer service are fantastic.

I'm sure you are already aware of these, but just in case your are as brazen as I was:-
- Leak test before running the machine with everything turned on
- Never use a tool to tighten anything - only use your hands; you will more than likely break the fitting and or the block/Res/rad if you use a wrench
- If you're going soft tubing - Tube cutters are worth the £5; they make life a LOT easier

As a recent first timer I agree with the above and would also add an air leak testing tool. Gives a lot of confidence doing that before the first fill.

Back
Top Bottom