Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Finally got my wife a new car. Seems a lot of fun to drive and very well equipped. I feel quite deflated posting it after the Lambos and RB though!!!

BMW-128ti-front.jpg

Caporegime
Did you get this off the fb market place or group? I remember seeing one like this for quite cheap money and forgot to send you it.

A friend had it, I was talking to him about it before the ad went up. Got it a fair bit cheaper than it was up for as well. Just as well really cos the alternator lasted about 12 minutes. :o

Finally got my wife a new car.
BMW-128ti-front.jpg

Did I not lower the tone enough? :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not sure I really understand the 'Ti' sub brand. Is it for people who want a car that's basically an M135i made worse but without much of a saving in ownership cost?

Soldato
I'm not sure I really understand the 'Ti' sub brand. Is it for people who want a car that's basically an M135i made worse but without much of a saving in ownership cost?

It's for the same sort of people who would rather buy a Golf GTI than a Golf R.

Considering it seems to be getting wide spread praise for actually being enjoyable to drive, unlike the M135i, which I think evo described as 'curiously forgettable', it's probably not the worst idea BMW have had recently.

Associate
Finally got my wife a new car. Seems a lot of fun to drive and very well equipped. I feel quite deflated posting it after the Lambos and RB though!!!

BMW-128ti-front.jpg

Is she wearing the sunglasses so no-one recognises her driving it? :p

It's a controversial colour scheme, but should be fun car car to nip about in!

Man of Honour
Considering it seems to be getting wide spread praise for actually being enjoyable to drive, unlike the M135i, which I think evo described as 'curiously forgettable', it's probably not the worst idea BMW have had recently.

They are virtually the same car, so how can they be so different? I agree they are getting good reviews but I can't understand why they are seen so differently.

It's like buying a 320i instead of a 330i, same engine same interior same car less power.

Soldato
They are virtually the same car, so how can they be so different? I agree they are getting good reviews but I can't understand why they are seen so differently.
AWD vs FWD, 80kg of weight shaved off and a relatively heavily revised suspension setup designed to make it more lively.

It's a bit different to 320i vs 330i as I understand it.

Soldato

It's like buying a 320i instead of a 330i, same engine same interior same car less power.
This might help you understand.
You have been posting for years that xDrive is pointless in the UK -this doesn't have it. It also has the same engine as the 135i, so tuning it up to 135i power/torque levels shouldn't be too challenging

Soldato
Is this similar to the Scirroco R and Golf R I guess, ones more lively and hence more of an experience with FWD. its back to the ethos of a hot hatch isn’t it. Explore it on the road rather than a over capable hyper hatch you can drive at 60%

also costs less.

some weirdos prefer an F Type V6 to the V8 aswell.

Man of Honour
You have been posting for years that xDrive is pointless in the UK -this doesn't have it

It isn't conventional xDrive though, it's a Haldex type system on a front wheel drive platform. It therefore isn't quite the same as the difference between an xDrive and RWD 3 Series. Ditch the xDrive on a 3 series and you get one of the most balanced platforms around, the same isn't true of the 1 series.

With the 128 v 135 they are essentially both 2 litre turbo FWD cars - the 135i being able to shift power towards the rear if conditions dictate.

They are very similar price wise given the discounts available on the 135 and the 135 is likely to be residually stronger, too.

Soldato
Is this similar to the Scirroco R and Golf R I guess, ones more lively and hence more of an experience with FWD. its back to the ethos of a hot hatch isn’t it. Explore it on the road rather than a over capable hyper hatch you can drive at 60%

also costs less.

Exactly - more fun at less speed :)

Soldato

also costs less.

To be fair I preferred the V6 to the V8 F Type purely because the V6 tended to howl more. Loved that car

Back
Top Bottom