Replacment 48" TV

Associate
I've started having issues with my somewhat aging Samsung UE48JU7000 developing several large purple spots in various places across the panel. My googling tells me this is a pretty common fault. Handily I bought the TV from Richer Sounds so despite it being 5.5 years old its still just inside it's 6 year warranty. I've jsut had the confirmation that they've matched it to the Sony KD49XH9505BU and I'll be receiving a voucher for £899 that I can use to purchase this. To say I'm elated is somewhat of an understatement! Assuming it all goes to plan it's going to be about the best warranty exchange I'll have had.

However, where I'm seeking advice is if this is the right TV to go for? With it being a voucher I can use it towards a TV that's more expensive should I wish and I think I've narrowed it down to two.

The first is simply sticking with the Sony KD49XH9505BU as a direct swap and I'll be able to do this at essentially zero cost.

The other option is to go for the LG OLED48CX5LC which will cost me £400 after using the voucher.

Based on reviews I think either are going to be a huge upgrade for me, but I wonder what others in my position would do. Whilst I've always been impressed by OLED on the brief demos I've seen them is it going to be worth the £400 upgrade cost over the sony? It's worth mentioning I don't currently have space to fit anything larger than a 50" so I can't step up to a larger size.

I primarially use the TV for watching films and tend to value colour accuracy / realisim over hugely vibrant overblown images. Whilst the TV is occasionalyl watched during the day for anything serious it would normally be used in a relatively dimly lit room or with curtains closed.

I do use the TV for gaming as well and currently have an xbox one x connected to it. This will probably be swapped for a series X in the future.

Thanks for your help :)

Man of Honour
I understand size could be a key issue for you, hence the reason to look at the 48" OLEDs. However, I think the LG represents poor value compared to the cheaper 55".

As much as I like OLED, I personally wouldn't go for the 48". Stick with the Sony.

Last edited:
Soldato
Such a shame you can't squeeze in a 55", you could have picked up the 55" LG BX6LB for £999, would only cost you £100 with your voucher.

Associate
OP
I've done a bit more research and I think I am actually going to be able to squeeze the 55 in. Width will be tight but it was actually always height that was the issue. My TV hangs on a built in stand with a cabinet style unit below and my current 48" already skims the top of my speakers blocking probably the top 10% of the driver but its the best I can make it fit. When I've been doing my digging I've discovered that these LG's in paticular seem to have Vesa mounts that are only 200mm high. My current tv is a 400*400 vesa and is right at the limit of what I can fit on my stand. With the LG's effectively having much smaller bolt patterns I think I'm going to be able to mount it considerably higher on the stand than my current TV (a good 20cm if I wish). I think that will give me the extra height I need to play with meaning that even though the TV is taller I should be able to mount it high enough that it wont block my speakers at all, and I might even clear them better than my current 48.

I'm currently leaning towards the cheaper LG BX though annoyingly it's gone up £100 since posting this but I'm now doing a bit more digging into 55s :)

Soldato
I'm currently leaning towards the cheaper LG BX though annoyingly it's gone up £100 since posting this but I'm now doing a bit more digging into 55s :)

I think for price/performance you should stick to OLED for your new TV, it's great that you can fit in a 55" as you're not just spending the extra on a panel upgrade but a size upgrade too.

Even if you need to faff around with your furniture a little, you were willing to spend another £400 on a TV according to your earlier posts. So what's the issue with getting a screen-size upgrade and maybe a change in your wall mount for less than you were considering? It means you get a bigger OLED.

Associate
OP
It is, its the entry level LG OLED55BX6LB you suggested that's currently my favourite.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I dont really want to spend £400 if I can help it, where as putting £100-£200 is a bmit more palatable. I'm pretty confident it will fit from the measuring I've done (though I wish I could find some sort of technical diagram just confirming the rear dimensions in respect to the vesa mounting holes but it doesnt seem to exist anywhere) but your point is fair that if I've got it wrong I could always just replace the TV stand.

Caporegime
It is, its the entry level LG OLED55BX6LB you suggested that's currently my favourite.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I dont really want to spend £400 if I can help it, where as putting £100-£200 is a bmit more palatable. I'm pretty confident it will fit from the measuring I've done (though I wish I could find some sort of technical diagram just confirming the rear dimensions in respect to the vesa mounting holes but it doesnt seem to exist anywhere) but your point is fair that if I've got it wrong I could always just replace the TV stand.
My good man, please heed my advice and just get the 55" LG CX OLED for the cheapest price you can find and enjoy it for the next years. Do not quibble over a couple of hundred quid with a long-term TV purchase, because it rarely is ever worth the savings.

The CX with the current discounts is a steal and buying anything else like the BX (as good as it is) just to save that small difference is a false economy when weighed against the life of the TV and the joy it will give you. The CX is a superior set and even if it costs 300-400 vs 200 for the BX then that is still stonking value.

The thing is, having not owned an OLED before you don't really understand what you are missing... I was the same until recently. However, now I have one I know what I have been missing, TV and gaming has entered a whole new level and I can never go back to an LED.

OLED has ruined my ocular orifices left me wanting more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom