Repointing cost

Associate
Hey,

I got a quote from a roofer to repoint a full chimney stack, came to 4.5k for just repointing and fixing the flashing. The chimney runs up a gable end wall, so approx 2 stories + loft height. That's including scaffolding/vat.

I was expecting around 2.5k - maybe 4.5 for the full gable end wall + chimney. Does that sound crazy? Would my luck improve going to a bricklayer rather than a roofer given that's 90% of the job here or is that price not far off the mark these days (Bath area)?

Thanks

Permabanned
Sounds way too much to simple old me. Scaffolding is really not that expensive and pointing, while boring, is really not that time consuming.

Permabanned
Sounds way too much to simple old me. Scaffolding is really not that expensive and pointing, while boring, is really not that time consuming.

Associate
OP
Thanks, is there a good way of doing it when you need both a roofer and a bricky, lining up the scaffolding dates between tradesmen or finding a generic builder maybe?

Associate
I'd also recommend getting some more quotes. That sounds very expensive. I'd guess the scaffolding was quite a chunk of that £4.5k?

It's also worth bearing in mind that lots of trades at the moment are busy so they will be putting a premium onto their rates.

Soldato
As a general rule of thumb avoid roofers like the plague :D

I had a tiny piece of brickwork repointed and they were here for about 20 minutes. It is a super simple job.

Try and get a bricky and arrange your own scaff.

Soldato
Recently got a load of quotes in myself for similar work.

Cheapest was £850, he said he'd do it off ladders. And most expensive was £5k. And had lots of quotes in between.

Associate
make sure it is done right. How old is the property as it might need a lime mortar mix?

Most amateurs use concrete and this destroys the bricks. The lime mix allows moisture out through the mortar and not the brick. It really kills the bricks over the years...

Soldato
As a general rule of thumb avoid roofers like the plague :D

I can second that. I paid a roofer £280 to replace some fallen slates a few weeks ago. He was here for less than an hour and didn't use any new slates, just reused to fallen ones. Now a few weeks later one has already fallen off again meaning he hasn't done the job properly.

Asked him twice to come back and sort but so far he's making excuses about being super busy and that I'm on the list.

Strange how he wasn't super busy when he quoted and came 2 days early to do the initial job. Plus at the time I recommended him to someone else where he also turned up to them the same day they called him.

Back
Top Bottom