Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
With the 128 v 135 they are essentially both 2 litre turbo FWD cars - the 135i being able to shift power towards the rear if conditions dictate.
...which is seemingly one of the biggest criticisms of it - this makes it too capable for it's own good and thus boring and unengaging to drive. Similar criticism that the Golf R has had.

Throw in some suspension tweaks to make it a bit more involving still and I can see why some are describing it as the engineering team 'fixing' the disappointing M135i.

From what I've read, opinions seem to err on the side of 'why buy the M135i when the 128ti exists?' rather than the other way around.

Pistonheads for example:
A front-wheel drive BMW might make as much sense to some as a chicken sausage or cinnamon Coke, but there's no arguing with the results. At the manufacturer's first attempt (leaving aside the Minis which share a smaller variant of the 1 Series platform) the 128ti is immediately competitive with rest of the front-drive hot hatch field - and makes the M135i seem a little unnecessary in the process.

Top Gear
The 128ti is every bit as good to drive as the VW, it’s far less of a touchscreen assault on the inside and it’s a more intriguing prospect - and a more convincing effort than BMW’s own 4WD M135i.

Last edited:
Associate
Evo magazine compares the 128ti with the new Golf GTi Clubsport and rates it more highly.

The 128ti is definitely fun to drive and does what we wanted perfectly so we are happy. The styling is not for everyone (you can delete the red bits for free when you order) but we like it as it is a bit different. Yes the cost is not far different from the M135i but the residual forecasts appear good according the dealer. I would have bought either but my sales guy, whom I trust, reckoned it is a better car for day to day. And it is easier to keep under 40k retail price if that is important to you. the comments we have had so far from people seeing it in the flesh are very positive so far!!!

Caporegime
...which is seemingly one of the biggest criticisms of it - this makes it too capable for it's own good and thus boring and unengaging to drive. Similar criticism that the Golf R has had.

Throw in some suspension tweaks to make it a bit more involving still and I can see why some are describing it as the engineering team 'fixing' the disappointing M135i.

From what I've read, opinions seem to err on the side of 'why buy the M135i when the 128ti exists?' rather than the other way around.

Pistonheads for example:

Top Gear

Why buy the 128ti when the mini cooper s exist. Surely they must be much of muchness. In fact the JCW has I presume the same engine as the 135i whilst being FWD.

According to mini's basic config you can get a hatch JCW with a manual for 27k rrp. That's nearly 5 grand cheaper than the rrp of the BMW whilst being very similar cars.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why buy the 128ti when the mini cooper s exist. Surely they must be much of muchness. In fact the JCW has I presume the same engine as the 135i whilst being FWD

Because they are very different cars. I have an F56 Mini - the boot is absolutely tiny to the point where even a reasonable food shop can sometimes mean its full (You definitely wont fit two suitcases in for example). The interior is quirky and fun and well specified for what it is, but what it is is an F Series BMW generation car*. The new 1 Series has a much more modern and refined interior with more space for passengers, more up to date infotainment, etc etc.

*Alright technically so is the new 1 Series but only the physical platform itself, the electronics system etc is all up to date and current.

I'd never replace the Mini with a 1 Series because it's just not the same sort of car. For the same reason, if I could only have 1 car I'd have the 1 Series over the Mini. They are different.

Caporegime
Because they are very different cars. I have an F56 Mini - the boot is absolutely tiny to the point where even a reasonable food shop can sometimes mean its full (You definitely wont fit two suitcases in for example). The interior is quirky and fun and well specified for what it is, but what it is is an F Series BMW generation car*. The new 1 Series has a much more modern and refined interior with more space for passengers, more up to date infotainment, etc etc.

*Alright technically so is the new 1 Series but only the physical platform itself, the electronics system etc is all up to date and current.

I'd never replace the Mini with a 1 Series because it's just not the same sort of car. For the same reason, if I could only have 1 car I'd have the 1 Series over the Mini. They are different.

I understand that as if someone was buying a cookie cutter 1 series but surely the type of person who wants a hot hatch is looking more to the performance side of things. The Clubman JCW provides space whilst boasting a more driver focused experience for the same price if not less.

If interior space and quality infotainment is of more a buyer needs then just get a 3 series with a slightly less powerful engine.

Soldato
3 series isn't really any bigger or a hot hatch. FWD UKL Platform on the 1 series now affords a reasonable amount of space inside. Some men just wont go near MINI for example.

BMW and Mini is hardly case in point. Golf, Leon, A3...

Weird how different people like different things

Man of Honour
For a lot of people all of those things are important. A hot hatch is intended to be a brilliant all round car, as at home on a dull drive as it is on a fun one.

This idea on this forum that people either want a car that's fun to drive and quick or that's nice inside but never both is strange. There are plenty of cars that offer all of these things now.

Soldato
Why buy the 128ti when the mini cooper s exist. Surely they must be much of muchness. In fact the JCW has I presume the same engine as the 135i whilst being FWD.

According to mini's basic config you can get a hatch JCW with a manual for 27k rrp. That's nearly 5 grand cheaper than the rrp of the BMW whilst being very similar cars.

The Mini appeals to a totally different market to the 1 series. A Mini Cooper S or JCW is nowhere near the same comparison as 128ti vs M135i. I'd happily consider a 1 series as a replacement 'small car' were I to swap the Octavia (and not look to move up a class etc.). I wouldn't even entertain the Mini because the weird 'quirky' design ethos does absolutely nothing for me - I don't like the dash, I don't like the weird union flag motifs all over the car, it feels like it's still trying too hard to be some sort of retro throwback styling gimmick for my tastes. If the 1 series didn't exist BMW wouldn't have a car in the class that interested me as a buyer where VW have 4 different models/brands in the same space.

The point of the 'why buy a M135i when the 128ti exists?' comment is to address the idea that a 128ti is simply an M135i made worse - more popular opinion seems to be that the 128ti is the M135i made better, certainly in terms of those that want something more akin to a typical hot hatch.

OcUK Staff
To be fair I preferred the V6 to the V8 F Type purely because the V6 tended to howl more. Loved that car

Yep weirdo! :p

Driven nearly all the F-Types, the V6 is a good car, but the V8 is better, admittedly the early V8 RWD were wild but in fairness on better michelin rubber they are better behaved and the V8 AWD cars are simply in another league. :)

Soldato
Nothing wrong with front wheel drive at all. A Honda Civic Type R or Renault Sport Megane etc. will out drive a lot of rear wheel drive cars. Certainly the Megane 265 Cup I had before my 130i was by far a better handling and faster car.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with front wheel drive at all. A Honda Civic Type R or Renault Sport Megane etc. will out drive a lot of rear wheel drive cars. Certainly the Megane 265 Cup I had before my 130i was by far a better handling and faster car.
That wasn’t my point.

Associate
And of course many buyers (not on here!) have no clue and don't care what wheels are driven. They like the look or price or brand maybe? I went with BMW because I like the brand and have a good relatinoship with the dealer. When they released the 128ti it ticked all the boxes for us. The M135i was over 40k rrp and I am just not liking the Mk8 Golfs. And more importantly my wife like this one!!!

Caporegime
The Mini appeals to a totally different market to the 1 series. A Mini Cooper S or JCW is nowhere near the same comparison as 128ti vs M135i. I'd happily consider a 1 series as a replacement 'small car' were I to swap the Octavia (and not look to move up a class etc.). I wouldn't even entertain the Mini because the weird 'quirky' design ethos does absolutely nothing for me - I don't like the dash, I don't like the weird union flag motifs all over the car, it feels like it's still trying too hard to be some sort of retro throwback styling gimmick for my tastes. If the 1 series didn't exist BMW wouldn't have a car in the class that interested me as a buyer where VW have 4 different models/brands in the same space.

The point of the 'why buy a M135i when the 128ti exists?' comment is to address the idea that a 128ti is simply an M135i made worse - more popular opinion seems to be that the 128ti is the M135i made better, certainly in terms of those that want something more akin to a typical hot hatch.

Don't want to stray too far off topic but the mini seems better in the hot hatch definition whereas the BMW 128ti just seems another fast "premium" car in an already saturated market. It isn't as focused as the JCW but somewhere between the two. You already have the 135i but it seems BMW have tried to make a more driver focused hot hatch with the 128ti but they already have that with their mini range of cars.

The real crying shame is that BMW has lost it USP of having a small RWD car. Yet now it is in a sea normality.

Back
Top Bottom