Lockdown PC setup

Soldato
OP
@shaank dopey question but how did you fix the kitchen work top to the cabinets? Is it just freestanding or....?

I’m thinking of getting an ~85cm deep worktop and using it for a desk and just using table legs, but your solution looks so good I’m temped to copy you!!

Edit - also, do the doors still open if you don't put on the feet?

Hi mate, yeah so the worktops are heavy enough to just rest, however.... just to keep everything neat they are screwed in with two small screws at each end, from the inside of the cupboards. Easy to quickly undo if I need to get behind something - though the 3m section isn't exactly light!

the doors still open, even over the carpet - I just had to adjust the hinges and play about with them so they gave the required clearance. That said, it's not actual kitchen, not opening these constantly, even some touching on the carpet is fine by me.

Man of Honour
Hi mate, yeah so the worktops are heavy enough to just rest, however.... just to keep everything neat they are screwed in with two small screws at each end, from the inside of the cupboards. Easy to quickly undo if I need to get behind something - though the 3m section isn't exactly light!

the doors still open, even over the carpet - I just had to adjust the hinges and play about with them so they gave the required clearance. That said, it's not actual kitchen, not opening these constantly, even some touching on the carpet is fine by me.
Just a quick update to say I’ve ordered some cabinets and will doing a worktop job... thanks for the inspiration :)

Soldato
OP
Just a quick update to say I’ve ordered some cabinets and will doing a worktop job... thanks for the inspiration :)

Looking forward to seeing the results, make sure you post a wee pic here! Happy to have inspired :) If you want any close up pics of any particular parts of the desk build let me know!

Soldato
OP
that is a fancy room but I think you need another 4 computer setups in there so you can have a little lan party ! looks like there is room ! :)

i love the icue lighting too

LAN parties of old, I miss those. Every saturday / sunday mates would be over when we were kids, quake, warcraft 2, diablo, red alert, x-wing vs tie fighter..... oh man the memories! :D

Associate
It's clear you've put a lot of time/effort/money into this!

What mount did you use for the monitor? Did you have to get a sparky to install power socket behind it? Is there a gap between desk and wall and hence Hue strips shining through?

Many thanks.

Soldato
OP
It's clear you've put a lot of time/effort/money into this!

What mount did you use for the monitor? Did you have to get a sparky to install power socket behind it? Is there a gap between desk and wall and hence Hue strips shining through?

Many thanks.

Just seen your comment now Alex. Monitor mount is just a cheapo one from the rainforest.... nothing fancy. And yup sparky added a power socket in behind the wall as I had hidden the cables, but it's obviously not cool to put a power cable back behind there :)

Re the hue strips, they are just stuck onto the back of the desk 'top' - there's a 1" gap all the way around.

Soldato
OP
Also rig update....

full watercooling all ordered up - annoyingly one part is on back order so patiently waiting for OCUK to get it and send it out ;)

Associate
Just seen your comment now Alex. Monitor mount is just a cheapo one from the rainforest.... nothing fancy. And yup sparky added a power socket in behind the wall as I had hidden the cables, but it's obviously not cool to put a power cable back behind there :)

Re the hue strips, they are just stuck onto the back of the desk 'top' - there's a 1" gap all the way around.

Thank you for the responses!

Soldato
OP
Just completed some more upgrades - full watercooling this time! Uploading all the pics now, first time having done this, some parts are scary lol :D

Mostly Corsair components, and an Alphacool GPU block for the 3090 FE.

Here we go:

3090 FE stripped down....

PXL-20210620-154432173-1.jpg

Test fitting parts

PXL-20210620-175807349.jpg

New thermal pads....

PXL-20210620-161345879.jpg

Test fit.....

PXL-20210620-164314017.jpg

Horrible cables

PXL-20210620-185400735.jpg

Radiator, CPU block and Pump fitted....

PXL-20210620-191820705.jpg

Some tubing....

PXL-20210622-184732192-PORTRAIT.jpg

Almost done!

PXL-20210622-230500709.jpg

And, other than some cable tidying and getting some more blanking plates so you can't see through the rear, I think it's done!

PXL-20210624-095700647.jpg

PXL-20210624-095714942.jpg

PXL-20210624-095641087.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom