Logitech Z607 + Soundblaster Z am i being stupid?

Soldato
suddenly decided i must have surround on my PC,

I don't anything amazing, I could blow £200 (more if i wanted) but i'm a tight ass so want to spend as little as possible,

Is there a down side to using the logitech via blue tooth? do i need a sound card, is there a better go to speaker system around the same price,

Soldato
Bluetooth tends to add latency, besides using lossy compression.
And even worser Bluetooth is limited to stereo sound...
Which would be OK for music, but instead of gaming speaker sets you would want active monitor speakers for better sound quality.

As for need of sound card there might not be much need, if motherboard's integrated Realtek doesn't suffer from EMI.
Such multimedia speakers certainly aren't the most acurate and then room acoustics (/lack of it) further affects the sound.
It's headphone use in which separate sound card has more benefits like providing binaural sound simulation.

If your head shape is close to average, good headphones and HRTF are actually good and affordable way to get to good level of immersion.
(of couse headphones can't match subwooder in bass)

Soldato
OP
Bluetooth tends to add latency, besides using lossy compression.
And even worser Bluetooth is limited to stereo sound...
Which would be OK for music, but instead of gaming speaker sets you would want active monitor speakers for better sound quality.

As for need of sound card there might not be much need, if motherboard's integrated Realtek doesn't suffer from EMI.
Such multimedia speakers certainly aren't the most acurate and then room acoustics (/lack of it) further affects the sound.
It's headphone use in which separate sound card has more benefits like providing binaural sound simulation.

If your head shape is close to average, good headphones and HRTF are actually good and affordable way to get to good level of immersion.
(of couse headphones can't match subwooder in bass)

thanks for the reply, head phones are out I'd never use them, comments about latency in BT put me off that idea

Associate
Logitech Z906 would be an option, though unless you get them on sale (seen these for as little as £145 from a competitor) they're slightly over budget. They're the replacements for the Z-5500 (that I have and adore) and from what I can gather from reviews they're almost as good, if a little lacking on the bass side.

Associate
Logitech Z906 is what I have been using for years and I always find them to be great, loads of inputs and can be had for a song, put them in your watchlist on the rainforest, they come on offer a lot on there, not cheap at the moment.

Soldato
Sorry to barge in, but have just been looking at the z607 myself. My z680 woofer/amp just made some popping noises, and now there's a smell coming out the back where the amp is. Guessing it's just gone. I can pick up another woofer/amp for £70 on ebay, but seeing as the z607 isn't much more, it makes more sense to go new I think. I guess I could even just wire in the z680 speakers if I wished?

From what I can tell, you don't have to use the z607 with bluetooth, it can all be wired as well, just bluetooth is an option, so plugged into the PC, but bluetooth on phone if I fancy it etc?

What would be a good price for z906 new and used?

Soldato
I had the Z5500 for about 10 years with its excellent sound and bass, not quite as deep as my Velodyne sub but still a classic sound. After the control pod started playing up I just ended up using my Mrs' £50 Z506 5.1 speakers and still am as the sound is amazing for their price and it still gives a great bass thump which belies their size and cost.

The Z506 have been replaced now so only available on the bay for a fair bit more than I bought them for. The Z607 looks like a worthy replacement/upgrade so I would be inclined to give those a try before splashing out much more for the Z906.

Back
Top Bottom