My new gaming laptop is underperforming

Soldato
Hi

I recently bought the ROG Zephyrus GA502DU. Out of the box, I updated the chipset drivers, graphics drivers and bios. I've set it to use the 1660ti and not the integrated gpu.

On metro 2033 I am gettting around 80fps on max settings, around 120 on lowest settings. This game is 11 years old, I should be getting much better performance than this.

I tried some recent games - Civ VI, AOE2 and 3 DE, Dying Light. Similarly I'm getting around 60 fps, at times it's dropping to 30 fps :confused:

The laptop gets very loud when gaming but not particularly hot.

All of this is while the laptop is on charge. On battery I get 20 fps on all games, even with 'high performance' enabled in battery settings.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What were you expecting? 60fps on a laptop 1660ti max-q sounds pretty reasonable (https://youtu.be/rCrCV71x8G0?t=319). On battery, gaming performance will be nerfed compared to being plugged in.

Thanks for the reply.

A 2019 £1000 gaming laptop should be able to play a 2010 game and get more than 60-80 fps.

The video you linked showed that the 1660Ti gets 58fps average in Metro Exodus, which was released in 2019.

Something is limiting my laptop's performance

Associate
The 1660ti in the video is a max-p variant (80w) compared with your max-q (60w) version so you need to factor in that within the numbers (roughly a 25% drop).

You have a thin and light laptop with a low powered variant of the gpu, the performance you've described doesn't sound unreasonable imo.

Soldato
OP
Ah thanks, I didn't realise this when I bought it. Performance is probably about right then :)

Seems like a waste to give this laptop a 144hz screen when it will never be able to hit anywhere near that.

Caporegime
Ah thanks, I didn't realise this when I bought it. Performance is probably about right then :)

Seems like a waste to give this laptop a 144hz screen when it will never be able to hit anywhere near that.

144hz is nice to use for desktop use to be fair.

For gaming though you're right the GPU is on the weaker side and probably thermally limited too. You won't be hitting 144FPS on anything GPU heavy.

Have you got Vsync on? That might be hurting your FPS.

Soldato
I’ve just spend over a grand on a Asus rog zephy G14 with a 1660ti and your performance sounds about right. I bought it because it’s thin, small, good looking and doesn’t look like a gaming laptop. If I’d wanted a gaming laptop I could have saved myself some money and bought a Gigabyte G5 with a 3060 which should have better performance, but I couldn’t live with the plastic and the lack of rigidity so it’s horses for courses.

I think it’s worth realising that even the best gaining laptop in the world is going to be handily beaten by a lower spec desktop equivalent just because of the vastly and I mean vastly better cooling and power useage.

Soldato

exactly the same with my laptop, the 560x isnt a terrible mid range gpu, but with a laptop that can do super resolution plus 120hz it certainly can't hit high frames in a lot of games, but 120hz and freesync is so smooth, its a small sacrifice. Mad max gets me 50fps on high 1080p @ 120hz, its nice and smooth.

i suppose just enjoy what performance it offers and not get too optimistic and enjoy smooth screening

Permabanned
I’ve just spend over a grand on a Asus rog zephy G14 with a 1660ti and your performance sounds about right. I bought it because it’s thin, small, good looking and doesn’t look like a gaming laptop. If I’d wanted a gaming laptop I could have saved myself some money and bought a Gigabyte G5 with a 3060 which should have better performance, but I couldn’t live with the plastic and the lack of rigidity so it’s horses for courses.

I think it’s worth realising that even the best gaining laptop in the world is going to be handily beaten by a lower spec desktop equivalent just because of the vastly and I mean vastly better cooling and power useage.

MSI do some metal builds. Quality laptops compared to last year, in 2021. Allbeit , overpriced .

Back
Top Bottom