BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Yeah I had assumed it's in the same place as my current Plusnet details are?

The lady on the phone said it's a Frizbox 7530. It doesn't matter anyway, it looks like it's difficult to use as modem only so I'll just keep it incase my USG and/or AP develop a fault. By the way, what's the USG Pro like on 900 Mbps FTTP?

I only ran the USG Pro for a short time but it had no issues passing the full line speed until you switched on the IPS at which point it would vary from about 450Mbps to 750Mbps depending on the traffic going through it. That was a modified 8Gb RAM USG Pro. The standard 2Gb units only pass 350-400Mbps with IPS turned on. I'm currently running Untangle on a QNAP QGD-1602P Guardian. It also runs my Unifi controller, my NAS backup (to an 8-bay slave drive array), my surveillance system, and it's also my personal Windows machine (as a VM). On paper it was bloomin' expensive. In truth, it replaces so many other systems that it will save it's own cost in electricity over it's expected 3-year lifespan.

Soldato
Had my price rise email from BT, 900BM fiber going from £52.99 to £55.37 with a 4.5% price rise.

Hate these mid-contract price rises, wish they'd just keep me on the same price for the duration of their already ridiculously long contracts!

Soldato
I keep checking the BT Openreach site but nothing has been added since the start of last year, trying to see when they are rolling out my way, closest I can see is Bedford which is 30 mins from my town Letchworth :(

Soldato
My town was never on the list, but I now have FTTP available. Not in a rush to get it as I cant get an install though due to lockdown but it’s there for when I can.

Associate
Hopefully a quick question to those on 900mb/s FTTP, is the technical max speed actually 1gb/s but marketed as 900mb/s just for Ofcom reasons? Or is it capped at 1gb/s?

Is FTTP possible to go faster in the future above 1gb/s? I know that day is a long way off but what happens after 1gb/s becomes the norm and people want faster? Would they need to relay new cabling down for faster speeds or are these cables theoretically capable of going above 1gb/s?

Also is there a reason why the speeds are not symmetrical? Is it down to Openreach's network as I would have thought the cables themselves can go 1gb/s either way?

Soldato
The physical link speed is 1Gbps but with PPPoE overheads, TDM and all the rest of the it they rate it at 900Mbps. The highest download speed I've seen on my connection is about 930Mbps.

The technology that Openreach FTTP is delivered on is called GPON - Gigabit Passive Optical Network. There is also XG-PON - 10 (X) Gigabit Passive Optical Network. So to get > 1Gbps they need to roll out XGPON. That's not as involved as the initial GPON rollout as the cabling can be reused. The GPON splitters (mine is under the pavement right at the end of my driveway) would need to be replaced as would the ONT.

There's a diagram here which explains the setup quite well.

Associate
The physical link speed is 1Gbps but with PPPoE overheads, TDM and all the rest of the it they rate it at 900Mbps. The highest download speed I've seen on my connection is about 930Mbps.

The technology that Openreach FTTP is delivered on is called GPON - Gigabit Passive Optical Network. There is also XG-PON - 10 (X) Gigabit Passive Optical Network. So to get > 1Gbps they need to roll out XGPON. That's not as involved as the initial GPON rollout as the cabling can be reused. The GPON splitters (mine is under the pavement right at the end of my driveway) would need to be replaced as would the ONT.

There's a diagram here which explains the setup quite well.

Thanks for this, very informative

Associate

The splitters shouldn't need replacing, all that needs replacing is the ONT and the OLT, but the XGS-PON (which is what Openreach is going with, not XG-PON) OLTs can run parallel on the same PON as the GPON OLT as they use different frequencies. Problem is the ONT's aren't plug and play so going to need an engineer visit to do, guess it keeps the engineers employed :) Openreach has already got some XGS-PON services available in the test areas, but they are aimed at business side as XGS-PON is symmetric so can fix the low upload issue that makes GPON not great for a lot of business cases.

Caporegime
The splitters shouldn't need replacing, all that needs replacing is the ONT and the OLT, but the XGS-PON (which is what Openreach is going with, not XG-PON) OLTs can run parallel on the same PON as the GPON OLT as they use different frequencies. Problem is the ONT's aren't plug and play so going to need an engineer visit to do, guess it keeps the engineers employed :) Openreach has already got some XGS-PON services available in the test areas, but they are aimed at business side as XGS-PON is symmetric so can fix the low upload issue that makes GPON not great for a lot of business cases.
I suspect many businesses will find they won’t ever get symmetrical as this would highly impact Openreach’s much more lucrative leased line Ethernet services.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be so sure, I think the arrival of competitors will force a business-grade symmetric FTTC service onto the Openreach portfolio. Leased lines have several advantages over 'broadband' services and they will be differentiated based on the SLAs, contention, options for layer 2 services, 10Gb bearers, percentile-based billing, diverse routing options etc. I would expect to see the effects of contention on GPON deployments over the next few years as everybody is pushed towards taking 900+Mbps services.

Ok so sales teams will have to update their knowledge and stop selling based purely on speeds, but I'm sure they will cope.

Associate

is there any additional settings needed for it to work.

I've already tried the below as username with bt as password but no dice.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Check that you're adding in the VLAN 101 tag.

What modem are you using?

Do I need a modem? the router is connected directly to the single port ONT.

The bt supplied router that is faulty according to the engineer is the smarthub 2, the light

does not turn blue and stays at amber color.

Currently usb tethering to my phone and sharing it at home using bluetooth connected to BT-wifi.

Back
Top Bottom