Upgrade from S10e?

Soldato
I've got an Exynos chipset S10e which I'm looking to move on and I'd like a bit of an upgrade in the process. I'm not quite sure what the options are at the moment as manufacturers seem to be making new releases in very short timescales and with several variants.

I know the S21 Ultra is a huge step, but that price tag is laughable (so let's assume I'd like to stay under £800 at least).

The OnePlus 9 look promising but price TBC - The 8 Pro also looks good but I would want to wait for a price drop that will hopefully come with the launch of the 9.

The S21 FE gets good reviews for the performance/price balance but I'm not sure how it would compare to the S10e.

Are there any other options I should be looking at, and any guidance on my shortlist above please?

Caporegime
Do you have any particular priorities? Display, camera, sound, battery life, storage, etc.?

Or is it just an all rounder?

Personally I'm on a bashed about Note 8 and am intending on doing the same as you, ie OnePlus 8 Pro or 9 Pro depending on price.

Pixel 5 and Xiaomi Mi 11 (when out) might be options too.

Soldato
I went from S10e to S20 FE (via OnePlus 7T Pro) and for my money I wouldn’t bother. Other than the 120hz refresh rate the S20 FE offers very little by way of meaningful upgrade. In fact the panel on the S20 FE almost feels like a step down from the S10e - it’s not Samsung’s top of line offering and to be honest it shows. The Mrs still has her S10e so I was able to do a side by side comparison.
The FE is also considerably bigger than the S10e and a little boxier so if you value the compact size of the S10e I’d bear that in mind.
As mentioned above if I was in that range and looking to upgrade now I’d probably go Pixel 5 and that’s what I’ve been recommending to any friends or family who have asked lately.

Sidebar, if you fancy jumping ship entirely then the iPhone 12 would be an excellent choice.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. Definitely don't want to join Apple, got to be Android. I deliberately went slightly more compact with the S10e and I have to say that I wish it was slightly bigger so that's a consideration. Just after an all rounder really, a nice display and excellent responsiveness would be top of my list, sound is a low priority, storage would be over 64gb which seems to be anything these days, and as long as the battery lasts a day then I'm happy.

Soldato
The battery in the S20 FE was good when I had it, but make sure it’s the 5g version and not the frankly rubbish 4g Exynos version. Mine would make it to end of day with around 30% from memory.
The other thing I would say (and have done on other threads) is definitely do not pay RRP for the S20 FE. It isn’t worth anywhere near £699 and having used it I’d be hesitant to spend anything over £500 on one. If you can find one for around that price then I’d say that’s fair enough. Between £600-£700 there are so many better alternatives.

As mentioned above, the 8 Pro is a good shout especially since it’s currently on offer for £599 over at the rainforest (and possibly other outlets but I haven’t checked).

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks both. Definitely don't want to join Apple, got to be Android. I deliberately went slightly more compact with the S10e and I have to say that I wish it was slightly bigger so that's a consideration. Just after an all rounder really, a nice display and excellent responsiveness would be top of my list, sound is a low priority, storage would be over 64gb which seems to be anything these days, and as long as the battery lasts a day then I'm happy.

Consider the 128Gb Pixel 4a 5G, its the "big" screen (6.2") version of the current Pixel line up with great battery life (3800).

I consider the Pixel 5 as the best all rounder, but you want a bigger screen.

Back
Top Bottom