CamBelt Disaster

Associate
So to set the scene purchased a cambelt kit and water pump for my focus mk2 1.6 a while back which my brother in law was going to fit for me since he is a mechanic but families being families things turn sour so asked a garage i use regulary if they would fit parts etc and the cambelt needs doing its an 07 plate but has only done 67K and recently passed its MOT with no defects. They agreed to do the work it went in on thursday and works should have been completed that day called about 4pm to see if it had been completed but got some bad news, they apparently fired up the car it turned over and worked fine then they switched it off all seemed good, then later they went to turn it over again to move it out of the bay this time it wouldnt turn over, on inspection it seems the timing belt was loose and quite possibly has slipped they swear that the pulleys and tensioner were good the first time they started it but now its loose. I have a good relationship with the garage so I trust them to take some responsibilty for this even if I supplied the correct parts. What do you reckon the chances are no damage has occured I'm thinking slim but heres to hoping.

Soldato
Oof. Sounds like they totally ballsed the job up. Engine will more than likely be toast - although I got very very very lucky on a 1.4 TDCi were I slipped the cambelt and had no interference.

Quick google and a chap on PassionFord had it happen to his MK1 - not sure if it is the same 1.6 as I know the TiVCT model became popular around that time versus the old Zetec lump.

I'd whack a spanner on the crank and see if it spins freely. If you get that far, then see if you got lucky and whack a new belt and tensioner on.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm kinda going with the whole idea of the valves have been destroyed, luckily we can afford a new car if needed but I like my Focus it only had 15k on it when I bought it on 2017, I suppose it depends on how much an engine rebuild would be if we consider it worthwhile or not

Soldato
Yeah I'm kinda going with the whole idea of the valves have been destroyed, luckily we can afford a new car if needed but I like my Focus it only had 15k on it when I bought it on 2017, I suppose it depends on how much an engine rebuild would be if we consider it worthwhile or not
The 1.6's are two a penny - when I had my 1.4 TDCi calamity I pinged the local Ford breaker who said he'd do a swap for £800 labour included. This was about 13 years ago tho.

Edit: Definitely see if you got lucky by throwing a new tensioner on though...

So you want us to guess what damage has been done.... Make a poll maybe? Pancake?
:confused: you having a bad day sweetie?

Soldato
You mnay have got lucky. HOWEVER, no matter what they're liable, if the tensioners weren't on and it's slipped a cog that's their fault and they're liable so ensure that whatever damage they pay for.

Soldato
You mnay have got lucky. HOWEVER, no matter what they're liable, if the tensioners weren't on and it's slipped a cog that's their fault and they're liable so ensure that whatever damage they pay for.
Are they though.
Parts not supplied by them.

Garage has a way out if their crafty

Soldato
They have to prove the parts were faulty.
You talk like you know this for a fact but I very much doubt any garage would have liability that extends to proving fault with Customer provided parts. Maybe in dream land but in the real world? Unlikely.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Mainly because they would prefer to supply and fit from someone they know, so if they are indeed faulty, garage has a chance to lodge a claim with the supplier... versus chappy's ebay purchase (or wherever).

Associate
You talk like you know this for a fact but I very much doubt any garage would have liability that extends to proving fault with Customer provided parts. Maybe in dream land but in the real world? Unlikely.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Mainly because they would prefer to supply and fit from someone they know, so if they are indeed faulty, garage has a chance to lodge a claim with the supplier... versus chappy's ebay purchase (or wherever).
this

however you say you have every faith in the garage they may try and look after you by helping sort it out. you need to know first of all what actually failed a part or the fitting.

Caporegime
I had thought the responsibility for parts quality is transferred to the garage, when they agree, verbally or otherwise, to use the parts you supplied?

Which is why many tyre fitters don't fit part worns, and sometimes don't even fit new tyres you bring along yourself.

I'm sure a garage would refuse to fit a second hand cambelt rather than taking an "oh well if its breaks its not my problem" attitude

If a customer supplies new parts, surely the garage saying they will fit them, is an admission that they think the quality is good enough?

Last edited:
Soldato
I had thought the responsibility for parts quality is transferred to the garage, when they agree, verbally or otherwise, to use the parts you supplied?

Which is why many tyre fitters don't fit part worns, and sometimes don't even fit new tyres you bring along yourself.

I'm sure a garage would refuse to fit a second hand cambelt rather than taking an "oh well if its breaks its not my problem attitude"

If a customer supplies new parts, surely the garage saying they will fit them, is an admission that they think the quality is good enough?
The problem is it makes an otherwise black and white case of a dodgy job very subjective.

I'd argue the parts were totally fine and the garage just ballsed the job up. The problem is that there is room to manoeuvre on both sides. The official guidance is not to bother with customer supplied parts for this very reason.

Back
Top Bottom