Recommend a small/med car £10,000 keep a long time

Soldato
We are looking to move on our 2001 golf which we've had forever and replace it with a fiesta to focus sized car. We anticipate keeping it 5+ years.

5 door
Petrol (10k miles per year absolute max)
Not dog slow like the 70hp Golf is (say 100hp as a flexible minimum)
preferably automatic (if it's a good automatic box)
ideally rear parking camera and tech that is probably standard these days like sat-nav and bluetooth, air conditioning.
Reliable

Not very interesting requirements but it just needs to drive my partner to work and around town and the occasional longer trip. I have a bigger car for longer distance driving. No big pets or kids. My car does the tip runs.

The technology and "nice place to sit" is probably the most important factor.

The budget seems to get us Focus' from 2016 and Fiestas from 2018 or 19. Civic and Jazz' are a bit older for this price bracket. Weirdly the Fiestas have more autos available than Focus'

What sort of models would you look at or are they all much of a muchness these days. I'm currently leaning towards the 2018 125ps Fiesta. But there are also a few 2016/17 1 series' about which look nicer places to sit and I would imagine would have more buttons (touchscreens?) to press.

Soldato
15 year old range rover
x2 at that budget.

2017 Fiesta is a great shout. If that is the latest shape it isn't an issue (they'll all be £150 road tax) but if it's the MK7.5 then look carefully as the 1.0 EcoBoost (100hp) fall either side of the tax rule change (free on some 17 plates).

Caporegime
We are looking to move on our 2001 golf which we've had forever and replace it with a fiesta to focus sized car. We anticipate keeping it 5+ years.

5 door
Petrol (10k miles per year absolute max)
Not dog slow like the 70hp Golf is (say 100hp as a flexible minimum)
preferably automatic (if it's a good automatic box)
ideally rear parking camera and tech that is probably standard these days like sat-nav and bluetooth, air conditioning.
Reliable

Not very interesting requirements but it just needs to drive my partner to work and around town and the occasional longer trip. I have a bigger car for longer distance driving. No big pets or kids. My car does the tip runs.

The technology and "nice place to sit" is probably the most important factor.

The budget seems to get us Focus' from 2016 and Fiestas from 2018 or 19. Civic and Jazz' are a bit older for this price bracket. Weirdly the Fiestas have more autos available than Focus'

What sort of models would you look at or are they all much of a muchness these days. I'm currently leaning towards the 2018 125ps Fiesta. But there are also a few 2016/17 1 series' about which look nicer places to sit and I would imagine would have more buttons (touchscreens?) to press.

Lexus CT 200h f sport

Make sure it's the f sport as you get it fully loaded. Electric heated leather seats. Sat Nav, Bluetooth, steering controls, cruise, front and rear sensors and parking camera.

Does 400 miles of city driving for £35 petrol.

£0 road tax as it's a hybrid.

Lexus = bulletproof. It's also a much nicer place to sit than a ford fiesta.

It's essentially a Toyota Prius in a Lexus bodykit. So that means you can buy Toyota parts and get them fitted for cheaper.

Make sure you always stick it into sport mode. Don't use it in eco or normal if you want bit to be quick. It makes zero difference to mpg just responsiveness.

All hybrids are automatic as standard too.

Soldato
Lexus CT 200h f sport

Make sure it's the f sport as you get it fully loaded. Electric heated leather seats. Sat Nav, Bluetooth, steering controls, cruise, front and rear sensors and parking camera.

Does 400 miles of city driving for £35 petrol.

£0 road tax as it's a hybrid.

Lexus = bulletproof. It's also a much nicer place to sit than a ford fiesta.

It's essentially a Toyota Prius in a Lexus bodykit. So that means you can buy Toyota parts and get them fitted for cheaper.

Make sure you always stick it into sport mode. Don't use it in eco or normal if you want bit to be quick. It makes zero difference to mpg just responsiveness.

All hybrids are automatic as standard too.
I can only see 2014 models with a reasonable mileage at this budget. When do the batteries start to go?

Caporegime
I can only see 2014 models with a reasonable mileage at this budget. When do the batteries start to go?

Batteries are fine. It's the same as the Prius. They last for a long time the Prius has been around since 1997. So all the battery issues have been ironed out over the last 24 years.

You can buy a reconditioned one for the prius and shove it in the CT for £600. It's the exact same battery. Probably cheaper if you shop around that's the first one I found on eBay. Probably cheaper if you get one locally. It's a simple swap it's much like changing the battery in an RC car just a lot bigger.

So even if it does fail £600 for a new battery isn't a huge deal.

Vehicles from the early 2000's lasted 12-15 years on average. A vehicle from 2014 should be lasting 15-20 years on average.

So a 2014 model should last until 2029 minimum. And then cost £600 to replace.

The only weak point on the car is the egr valve. They recommend getting that replaced with new parts or cleaned properly every 100k miles.

Soldato
what about a Hyundai Ionic ?

2016 / 2917 model 30K for around 10K may be a little more ?

This ^^

14k will get you a full BEV version (28kWh), doing 10k miles on mostly short/medium trips will save you circa £900 per year in fuel costs and servicing is cheap and warranty on battery is 8 years/125k miles.

Or look at one of the PHEV's but they seem to be expensive, there are obviously other options as well. Residuals on the car will be likely much better after 5 years as well, especially for someone looking for a cheap run about that lives in a city centre where ICE is banned. :)

Underboss
Batteries are fine. It's the same as the Prius. They last for a long time the Prius has been around since 1997. So all the battery issues have been ironed out over the last 24 years.

You can buy a reconditioned one for the prius and shove it in the CT for £600. It's the exact same battery. Probably cheaper if you shop around that's the first one I found on eBay. Probably cheaper if you get one locally. It's a simple swap it's much like changing the battery in an RC car just a lot bigger.

So even if it does fail £600 for a new battery isn't a huge deal.

Vehicles from the early 2000's lasted 12-15 years on average. A vehicle from 2014 should be lasting 15-20 years on average.

So a 2014 model should last until 2029 minimum. And then cost £600 to replace.

The only weak point on the car is the egr valve. They recommend getting that replaced with new parts or cleaned properly every 100k miles.

£600 isnt that bad ! i thought it be 2 to 3 times that lol

Caporegime
£600 isnt that bad ! i thought it be 2 to 3 times that lol

They are even cheaper in America you can buy them online shipped to.your door for 750 dollars.

I watched a guy on YouTube do his and he linked the website.

I'm sure if you looked around there will be a similar service. I haven't bothered looking as it won't be an issue for us. Looking to sell it well before 15 years old. It will be gone within the next 2-3 years.

You have to remember it's a Toyota Prius underneath all the luxury of a Lexus.

Underboss
not sure what you have decided on ?

just to let you / others know about Hybrids

yesterday whilst i was at work, we had a lot of police presence at home, because there were a lot of Thefts of Catalytic converters in the village in just one day

its's put me of getting one as its on the rise

Soldato
not sure what you have decided on ?

just to let you / others know about Hybrids

yesterday whilst i was at work, we had a lot of police presence at home, because there were a lot of Thefts of Catalytic converters in the village in just one day

its's put me of getting one as its on the rise

Someone steals part or all of your car. It’s inconvenient. Insurance buys you a new part. Sorted. Definitely a 1st world PLUS issue.

Back
Top Bottom