Coming 2 America - Out Now

Soldato
Damn. I knew I should have stayed away from here. Knowing that kind of spoilt the anticipation. Oh well.
They are not all bad, I'm not reading the text for fear of spoilers but a 4/5 review from the Evening Standard is titled 'Coming 2 America review: Eddie Murphy sequel is a dazzlingly knowing rom-com'.

In fact most UK ones seem positive it is the American ones that are against it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They are not all bad, I'm not reading the text for fear of spoilers but a 4/5 review from the Evening Standard is titled 'Coming 2 America review: Eddie Murphy sequel is a dazzlingly knowing rom-com'.

In fact most UK ones seem positive it is the American ones that are against it.
I will try and go in ignoring those. I mean we all knew it would be unlikely for it to be as good as the original anyway. I just hope it is not cheesy and crap. These days everything is becoming so cheesy.

Soldato
It was alright, some good moments. A few digs at the PC brigade, even a jibe at movie sequels being worse than the original, which was fitting and accurate imho.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah i liked it, wont be as good as 80s stuff, never can, ppl arnt like that anymore, directors dont do films like that anymore PC stuff too etc. Shame but. For what it is, it isnt a bad attempt at a sequel i guess. Didnt like some of the characters tho. Had some very surprising bits in tho which was cool.

Associate
Really enjoyed it and was a lot better than I thought it would be, lots of good references to the original and lots of nostalgia for fans.

Amazon Video was a bit choppy though - my connection was fine, but got a few pauses and reduced bit rate - maybe loads of people watching the film?

Soldato
Was ok but felt like more of a tribute/fan service than an actual movie.

Certain moments when an original/star characters appeared, I almost expected to hear the audience clap, had a very Saturday Live Night vibe to it.

Ruined it for me they called it 'private parts' instead of vagina, in the bathing scene

Last edited:
Associate
It's not great but better than you'd think for over 30 years between a sequel, worth watching if you liked the first one.

Wesley Snipes and Tracy Morgan are good fun in it hamming it up. Can't believe James Earl Jones still has a commanding presence at 90, now looking younger than Morgan Freeman in scenes with him who is 83.

James Earl Jones seems like he's been an old man in movies for at least 40 years now, been a real cinema legend (most all will know this, but he's also the voice of Darth Vader), I wasn't even sure if he was still alive, so it's great to see him in this.

Huge amount of time and change between the movies, but it still worked overall for me.

Back
Top Bottom