Amazon Supermarkets

Soldato
Amazon launched 'Amazon Fresh' in Ealing yesterday with Amazon branded food and some of their gadgets, regular branded food, and Morrisons branded food. No tills, just a phone app, tons of surveillance cameras and you walk out like a shoplifter. Interesting concept but their prices are more expensive than the likes of the big four grocers. Will be interesting to see how it develops, they could easily afford to bring prices down and beat the big supermarkets. For now though, I'll stick to Tesco.

Caporegime
Lots of people will be willing to pay a little bit extra to avoid standing in a queue and hassle of a checkout.

You can do this at tesco, asda etc with the bar scanner things. Best thing to be brought into my local tesco. Well aprt from it never scans my club card right.

Caporegime
They may open a few stores around the country, mainly the centre of London, but they’ll end up selling the technology to major supermarkets for a fortune. They have arrived too late at the party to challenge the big supermarkets.

Caporegime
Going in, picking stuff up, and walking straight out is the future of bricks and mortar food shopping.

You can do this at tesco, asda etc with the bar scanner things. Best thing to be brought into my local tesco. Well aprt from it never scans my club card right.
You can do exactly the same at Tesco, Asda, etc. with the tiny qualification that you must also use a bar scanner thing.

Soldato
OP
They may open a few stores around the country, mainly the centre of London, but they’ll end up selling the technology to major supermarkets for a fortune. They have arrived too late at the party to challenge the big supermarkets.

Surely with the £ billions that Amazon have they could stomp over the big supermarkets?

Caporegime
It’s good, but I hate it when you’re selected for a random check and they start rifling through your nicely packed shopping :mad:

My local aren't too evasive tbf, normally only check 5 or so items. Better than queuing or the self scan crap. Why does the wireless scanner work better than the self scan? :confused:

Associate
TBH, i suspect that's their aim, have enough stores to make people aware that the tech is out there and want it to be in other stores. Then just wait for the others to knock at their Alexa operated door.

Back
Top Bottom