• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K Review: Blasting Off with Rocket Lake

Soldato
Those are some impressive power consumption and heat figures for AVX512 usage, 292w peak power and 104c.

The cooler we’re using on this test is arguably the best air cooling on the market – a 1.8 kilogram full copper ThermalRight Ultra Extreme, paired with a 170 CFM high static pressure fan from Silverstone. This cooler has been used for Intel’s 10-core and 18-core high-end desktop variants over the years, even the ones with AVX-512, and not skipped a beat. Because we’re seeing 104ºC here, are we failing in some way?

Permabanned
Seriously "the best cooler on the market", how about the Noctua D15/15S (both dual stacks) and no stuck on 120mm.

Soldato
Omg haha 290w and 104c right out of the box, HOT HOT HOT and wow much gaming performance, slower than a 9900ks and slower than the 10700k

AMD is scared in its boots

Soldato
OP
Yup basically a disaster, but I tried to leave it off the main post and let you guys read it, the power use is just insane, basically 2X for less performance than a 5800x. Intel better get their act together quickly.

Soldato
Honestly, I'm not impressed. The 19% IPC gain is FP only, and that figure was exaggerated as well, and the cores still fall behind Zen 3 and Apple Firestorm, both of which now approaching mid-life. Both Apple and AMD will likely be releasing another generation of their microarchitecture before Intel releases theirs, so I expect this gap to be widened.

ydaUr5k.png

Power consumption and efficiency was not impressive either. In short, AMD still leads in performance (single or multithreaded). People who bought Zen 3 will not be regretting their decisions.

Caporegime
See how much headroom the 5800X actually has when the GPU is taken completely out of the equation... its a lot faster than you'd think when you're just testing the performance of the CPU in games.

I know its not a popular thing to test at very low resolutions but i'll say the same thing now that i said when Intel were leading by these sort of margins, a couple of years down the line when your latest GPU is this much faster this will matter.

18Uhc5S.png
VFO2myw.png
Qu319qc.png
DFXrkyM.png
eEOJc45.png

Permabanned
Humbug and his charts, getting kind of long in the tooth (in every thread). :rolleyes:

Again I will wait on AlderLake if they can do this on old process then it should be far better and efficient on newer one.

Soldato
Seriously "the best cooler on the market", how about the Noctua D15/15S (both dual stacks) and no stuck on 120mm.

Yeah I thought that too, a random ass cooler I've never heard of, named "the best cooler" lol :D Anandtech are a bit out of touch in their reviews, especially not even using a 3080/3090 for testing a pci gen4 motherboard/CPU.

Results are as expected, as this is a pre-release UEFI/microcode. I expect the official launch reviews testing with 3080's/3090's to match/best the 5800x in gaming across the board, especially the i9 with 5.3Ghz.

Worth noting the 291W peak power draw is only when running AVX-512 code, something Ryzen isn't capable of even doing. For applications that use it, it has a huge advantage, though don't expect it in any games.

Back
Top Bottom