Windows 10

Permabanned
Anyone had any issues on the latest update? I've had audio drivers crashing and issues with restarting/shutting down the machine not actually working, it'll switch my monitor off but the computer keeps running...

Just had a system remotely where upon update it stuck a yellow exclamation mark beside it in device manager saying the audio could not be loaded. Microsoft need to stop messing about with audio.

Wasn't on my machine though so it makes it ok lol.

When systems are working and peoples systems are breaking once they do an update people are going to be peed off at Microsoft, fully understandable. Drives people mad when they do this.

Though I understand they can't test all configurations but then they shouldn't update systems when they work unless it's to do with security.

Caporegime
0CJHk0l.png

Got this update this morning. On laptop and desktop.

Yeah massive bug fix patch, its not optional, they never are, as they always force themselves on if you just leave them sitting there (probably be forced through on Patch Tuesday), so you may as well just take the hosing, and install it now, get the bugger over with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sigh - turned on a system I haven't used in a few days - 100% CPU activity, can't pair with a bluetooth device because some AppX deployment task running in the background keeps resetting it every 20 seconds or so (along with causing the desktop icons to refresh), try pausing updates but the system is busy so it takes for ever to have effect and then randomly un-pauses itself anyhow (WTF?).

If I could put Windows 7 on all of my systems I so would - utter muppets working on this OS.

Soldato
Sigh - turned on a system I haven't used in a few days - 100% CPU activity, can't pair with a bluetooth device because some AppX deployment task running in the background keeps resetting it every 20 seconds or so (along with causing the desktop icons to refresh), try pausing updates but the system is busy so it takes for ever to have effect and then randomly un-pauses itself anyhow (WTF?).

Windows 10 Windows Update had nothing to do with it. AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) is a service support deployment and update Microsoft Store apps in background. Everytime desktop icons refreshed mean Microsoft Store is installed apps updates after downloaded it. You could try turn off "Update apps automatically" in Microsoft Store settings. If you still see 100% CPU activity, try clear Microsoft Store cache or reset Microsoft Store to fix it.

If I could put Windows 7 on all of my systems I so would - utter muppets working on this OS.

It no way I could put Windows 7 on all of my systems if I would back in 2009 - utter muppets worked on Windows 7!!!!

I told you years ago on NVNEWS.NET forum about how unstable Windows 7 was with many issues. I remembered tested Windows 7 earlier beta builds for months on my desktop and my dad's laptop, I was very impressed it was very stable. The last time it was very stable, very fast, search files came up instantly, snappier, very responsive, no BSODs, dad's stock sidebar app worked fine and everything worked properly was build 7260.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_7_build_7260

After Microsoft signed off Windows 7 build 7600 as RTM, I downloaded iso from Technet and installed just fine on my desktop and on my dad laptop but 1 week later Windows 7 on my desktop PC gone very sluggish, slower to crawl, search files took forever, not snappier, apps unreponded everytime, Memory Management BSODs every few days and Windows 7 froze, unresponded for 1 hour with 100% CPU activity every few days then dad came to me told me stock app not worked. The next time Windows 7 froze for 1 hour, I managed to moved mouse cursor every few mins attempted to opened task manager found 100% CPU activity was caused by searchindexer.exe. Been tried cleaned installed Windows 7 and played 1 game for days without drivers installed but only 1 Nvidia driver installed so all these same issues still occured was absolutely my worst nightmare ever. You suspected my memory sticks or motherboard was faulty but I found either not faulty after tried dual booted Windows Vista and everything worked fine on Vista, no Memory Management BSODs and no freezes with 100% CPU activity. I opened Resource Monitor to monitored on searchindexer.exe for a week and very surprised to found it only used about 3% CPU lasted for a few mins but NEVER 1 hour!

Hmmm I decided to installed Windows 7 build 7260 over Vista and surprised everything was very stable after a week with no Memory Management BSODs, searchindexer.exe used 3% CPU lasted for a few mins and no freezes with 100% CPU activity. Then I installed Windows 7 RTM build 7600 and all issues still occured after few days so I thought maybe upcoming cumulative update on 22 October 2009 will fix it but sadly it did not fixed all the issues, no amounts of cumulative and security updates will fixed it. Windows 7 SP1 and the latest Windows Update up to 2019 did not fixed it. All solutions found on internet never fixed all issues too.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_8_build_7700

Fast forwarded to around 29 January 2010 when Wzor leaked Windows 8 build 7700, I downloaded and installed it, after a week I was very surprised build 7700 was very stable with no issues, no Memory Management BSODs and no freezes with 100% CPU activity, opened Resource Monitor to monitored on searchindexer.exe found it only used about 3% CPU lasted for a few mins. I ditched Windows 7 after about 6 months and used Windows 8 build 7700 full time.

Windows 8 first build 7700 was only 100 build higher than Windows 7 RTM build 7600, I never found changelog for Windows 7 build 7600 so I never knew what Microsoft developers changed made since Windows 7 build 7260. Wished Microsoft would extended Windows 7 test for 6 months and signed off Windows 7 build 7700 as RTM back on January 2010 then I would not encountered all these nasty bugs in build 7600. I never had a single BSOD on RTM of Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 but Windows 7 was the worst ever with BSODs ever few days, Windows XP was not that bad with few BSODs every month with nvidia display driver infinite looping errors. It was incredible Vista fixed that nasty bug. :)

Man of Honour
Windows 10 Windows Update had nothing to do with it. AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) is a service support deployment and update Microsoft Store apps in background. Everytime desktop icons refreshed mean Microsoft Store is installed apps updates after downloaded it. You could try turn off "Update apps automatically" in Microsoft Store settings. If you still see 100% CPU activity, try clear Microsoft Store cache or reset Microsoft Store to fix it.

Yes and no Windows update was also making things a misery but the AppX process seemed for some reason to be responsible for breaking my bluetooth functionality - it seems something has gone very wrong with it as I've left it going unattended for awhile and it shouldn't be updating automatically but it is constantly using lots of CPU and refreshing desktop icons every few minutes forever sigh - yet another thing I'm going to have to find some time to fix. (I don't even use any of the store stuff).

It no way I could put Windows 7 on all of my systems if I would back in 2009 - utter muppets worked on Windows 7!!!!

I told you years ago on NVNEWS.NET forum about how unstable Windows 7 was with many issues. I remembered tested Windows 7 earlier beta builds for months on my desktop and my dad's laptop, I was very impressed it was very stable. The last time it was very stable, very fast, search files came up instantly, snappier, very responsive, no BSODs, dad's stock sidebar app worked fine and everything worked properly was build 7260.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_7_build_7260

After Microsoft signed off Windows 7 build 7600 as RTM, I downloaded iso from Technet and installed just fine on my desktop and on my dad laptop but 1 week later Windows 7 on my desktop PC gone very sluggish, slower to crawl, search files took forever, not snappier, apps unreponded everytime, Memory Management BSODs every few days and Windows 7 froze, unresponded for 1 hour with 100% CPU activity every few days then dad came to me told me stock app not worked. The next time Windows 7 froze for 1 hour, I managed to moved mouse cursor every few mins attempted to opened task manager found 100% CPU activity was caused by searchindexer.exe. Been tried cleaned installed Windows 7 and played 1 game for days without drivers installed but only 1 Nvidia driver installed so all these same issues still occured was absolutely my worst nightmare ever. You suspected my memory sticks or motherboard was faulty but I found either not faulty after tried dual booted Windows Vista and everything worked fine on Vista, no Memory Management BSODs and no freezes with 100% CPU activity. I opened Resource Monitor to monitored on searchindexer.exe for a week and very surprised to found it only used about 3% CPU lasted for a few mins but NEVER 1 hour!

Hmmm I decided to installed Windows 7 build 7260 over Vista and surprised everything was very stable after a week with no Memory Management BSODs, searchindexer.exe used 3% CPU lasted for a few mins and no freezes with 100% CPU activity. Then I installed Windows 7 RTM build 7600 and all issues still occured after few days so I thought maybe upcoming cumulative update on 22 October 2009 will fix it but sadly it did not fixed all the issues, no amounts of cumulative and security updates will fixed it. Windows 7 SP1 and the latest Windows Update up to 2019 did not fixed it. All solutions found on internet never fixed all issues too.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_8_build_7700

Fast forwarded to around 29 January 2010 when Wzor leaked Windows 8 build 7700, I downloaded and installed it, after a week I was very surprised build 7700 was very stable with no issues, no Memory Management BSODs and no freezes with 100% CPU activity, opened Resource Monitor to monitored on searchindexer.exe found it only used about 3% CPU lasted for a few mins. I ditched Windows 7 after about 6 months and used Windows 8 build 7700 full time.

Windows 8 first build 7700 was only 100 build higher than Windows 7 RTM build 7600, I never found changelog for Windows 7 build 7600 so I never knew what Microsoft developers changed made since Windows 7 build 7260. Wished Microsoft would extended Windows 7 test for 6 months and signed off Windows 7 build 7700 as RTM back on January 2010 then I would not encountered all these nasty bugs in build 7600. I never had a single BSOD on RTM of Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 but Windows 7 was the worst ever with BSODs ever few days, Windows XP was not that bad with few BSODs every month with nvidia display driver infinite looping errors. It was incredible Vista fixed that nasty bug. :)

Any level of muppetry involving the development of Windows 7 is vastly less than that involved with Windows 10. Windows 8 had some significant improvements at the kernel level but some serious short-sightedness and laziness sadly at the shell level (I'm actually posting from a Windows 8 device right now - for all its shortcomings it never gets in the way of me carrying out a task).

On my main two Windows 7 systems + laptop with Windows 7 I've been running the same Windows 7 installs for 7-8 years two of those systems have never had a single BSOD the other has only BSOD'd due to me doing something silly and/or bugs in 3rd party device drivers which I've had to revert/change to other versions. They've never been sluggish in normal operation, randomly become busy in the background, not been ready when I needed the OS or interrupted me mid task.

Back
Top Bottom