Euro 7, Big brother cometh...

Soldato
So the EU are currently planning Euro 7 standards and expect to have finalised them by the end of the year and implemented in 2025.

At the top level of proposals are the following:

Removal of OBD
24/7 live monitoring of your car's emissions
MOT revocation if those emissions go out of manufacturer specs (so even if your car reports less emissions, bye MOT)
Emissions testing for MOT to be done by the above system only
Forced full electric mode for hybrid vehicles based on location.

It may be a cliche but the EU seems to think 1984 is an instruction manual not a warning.

We may no longer be in the EU but you can bet your bottom dollar the UK will follow.

EDIT: Sorry thought I posted the link too

LINK

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Removal of OBD

Really? I thought it was EU specifications that mandated universal access to OBD in the first place?!

Edit: It turns out its an options paper, of which there are 3 suggestions. This is simply the most extreme of the suggestions. Option 1 looks like the most likely outcome, which isn't really anything groundbreaking.

Man of Honour
Seems to be somewhat along the lines of the same kind of stupid thinking, with an inability to grasp the problems where a computer system can take executive action without real world context awareness, that underpins the problems with so many systems (none the least Windows 10) these days.

I wish people would pull their heads out the behinds when it comes to things like this.

Albeit some potential good ideas in a more basic implementation - in a more permissive manner location based utilising electric mode has merit.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if it ends up as anything other than evolution of Euro 6.

Not much point going to weird extremes like live monitoring of emissions etc. when you'll be trying to push people to zero emission vehicles at the same time anyway.

Soldato
So the EU are currently planning Euro 7 standards and expect to have finalised them by the end of the year and implemented in 2025.

It may be a cliche but the EU seems to think 1984 is an instruction manual not a warning.

We may no longer be in the EU but you can bet your bottom dollar the UK will follow.

I reckon we should be in this EU thing so we can get a say in what we are obliged to go along with.

Soldato
I reckon we should be in this EU thing so we can get a say in what we are obliged to go along with.

It's fine, we can build our own cars and then only sell them in this country. I heard that's how the global economy works. Sovereignty.

I'd be surprised if it ends up as anything other than evolution of Euro 6.

Not much point going to weird extremes like live monitoring of emissions etc. when you'll be trying to push people to zero emission vehicles at the same time anyway.

Especially the UK with it's aggressive timelines.

Also connected cars are already here. All new cars are pretty much monitored. Additionally storing some emissions info is nothing. Things like mileage readings and fuel tank levels are already stored, not difficult to work out MPG from that info.

Associate
Meh... I can't see myself buying another ICE car, or at least, a newer ICE car than I have now before I buy an EV, I imagine I'm not alone.

Meanwhile I shall continue to not drive to car hating cities and towns as they bring in ICE bans.

The hilarious part of all this is that we are in this position due to the direct market intervention of the EU and national governments pushing diesel through regulations and tax incentives over decades. Meanwhile the ECJ is likely to fine the UK for Nox emissions, a lot of which are caused by cheating German cars which break the Euro standard.

I do wonder where petrol and electric cars would be now if manufacturers hadn't been pushed down the diesel path by governments. None of this is to do health or the environment, it's simply the elites deciding it was a bad idea to ever let the plebs own cars in the first place.

Soldato
Unless they have some kind of fully integrated system you could just disable it and no one would notice, there just won't be any data sent back. They might notice at MOT time when they check it in person, but too late when you've already gone a full year.

There are no plans to change the MOT system in the UK so I guess it would be redundant here. Some EU countries are very anti-tuning so it's probably the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most do already to some extent with NOx sensors plus many temperature sensors and monitoring of the CAT/DPF/SCR/GPF, with the standard Oxygen sensors etc that have been on cars for a long time.

It isn't very accurate though. The sensors on the car are pretty simple and cheap.

Anyway reading news on it from a few years back it says the OBD port will be kept. It was argued for by a British MEP saying it would limit owners to only using dealers for faults. Maybe after we left they decided to go all stasi.

Last edited:
Associate
Those euro 7 options seem excessively big brother controlling. Is euro 7 even needed considering the race to EV?

I reckon I’ve bought my last ICE car and will run the 2 I have as long as I can now.

EV will likely be the next one , but they need to come down in price or be more available generally.

Soldato
They need to pretty much halve in price. They are very poor value atm. You get a pile of batteries, an ipad and car with absolutely nothing interesting about it to carry it in.

Last edited:
Soldato
They need to pretty much halve in price. They are very poor value atm. You get a pile of batteries, an ipad and a mundane car to carry it.

You wanna see the price of EV halve?

Governments have been sponsoring these overpriced EVs and the more they are taken up the less tax gets collected from ICE.

At some point the support will be removed and tax will be fully charged on EV.

Soldato
You wanna see the price of EV halve?

Governments have been sponsoring these overpriced EVs and the more they are taken up the less tax gets collected from ICE.

At some point the support will be removed and tax will be fully charged on EV.

Well long term they want to force people on to public transport. Even though public transport only get more useless and more overpriced. But they can control it and dictate where people can go (and sit on the boards of the transport companies).

Once everyone gets EVs they will complain about electricity usage, tyres, electrical fires, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom