• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K Review: Blasting Off with Rocket Lake

Soldato
I'm sticking with my 6700K until 'insert random lake name here' comes along.

Going to see lots of variations of the above being spouted, and people claming to be experts with zero first hand knowledge or experience once again of the products they trash or celebrate.

Soldato
Yeah I thought that too, a random ass cooler I've never heard of, named "the best cooler" lol :D Anandtech are a bit out of touch in their reviews, especially not even using a 3080/3090 for testing a pci gen4 motherboard/CPU.

Results are as expected, as this is a pre-release UEFI/microcode. I expect the official launch reviews testing with 3080's/3090's to match/best the 5800x in gaming across the board, especially the i9 with 5.3Ghz.

Worth noting the 291W peak power draw is only when running AVX-512 code, something Ryzen isn't capable of even doing. For applications that use it, it has a huge advantage, though don't expect it in any games.
Yeah I thought that too, a random ass cooler I've never heard of, named "the best cooler" lol :D Anandtech are a bit out of touch in their reviews, especially not even using a 3080/3090 for testing a pci gen4 motherboard/CPU.

Results are as expected, as this is a pre-release UEFI/microcode. I expect the official launch reviews testing with 3080's/3090's to match/best the 5800x in gaming across the board, especially the i9 with 5.3Ghz.

Worth noting the 291W peak power draw is only when running AVX-512 code, something Ryzen isn't capable of even doing. For applications that use it, it has a huge advantage, though don't expect it in any games.

11900k 5.3ghz? So 400w then.

And yes it's while running avx-512 it's also significantly higher power draw than the last two generations used in the same loads. As for Ryzen, very few things use avx-512 and games never will and avx-512 has been added to the upcoming Zen4

Soldato
You don't need unreasonable thinking to have a giggle at the chip chucking the "TDP" out the window.

We'll see if AMD takes the same approach of outrageous power draw on AVX-512 workloads.

Soldato
Intel are in a very bad place, why even release this thing, releasing of product should be on a when its ready basis instead of schedule, hate rapid release schedules.

microcode wont fix a bad chip either, microcode updates are for fixing erratas.

Associate
I don't think I have ever been so uninterested in a CPU release than this Rocket Lake line when I first heard it was still going to be made on the older 14nm process.
And judging from the 11700K review I would still pick a 5800X over this, so Intel really needs to get the price right or their rocket won't even take off the ground :D

Soldato
What a train wreck. I see our resident Intel fanboys Dave and Dg are already running damage control. Better up your post rate to spin this one, guys. It's a big ol' stinker! :D

Caporegime
He seems to use the same Thermalright cooler for his recent Intel reviews. It wasn't the 'best cooler on the market' in 2008 when it came out and is definitely nowhere near the best air cooler in 2021. I'd hazard a guess that his temperature readings are going on for ~10c off from if he did use a current air cooler like the D15 etc.

I agree that Rocketlake is a bit of a dud but his testing methodology leaves a lot to be desired.

It's an odd choice of cooler but it's not terrible by any means (it's a ginormous copper beast with plenty of airflow) a 10 degree difference seems optimistc.

Last edited:
Associate
We shouldn't be laughing tho.

Regardless of any hatred for Intel (that clearly exists here in spades), a non-competitive Intel isn't good for consumers.
On the other hand Intel are still making by far the most profit and have the biggest marketshare in the x86 market.
For consumers, the best would be if Intel and AMD compete to prevent prices rising, possibly with Intel's products remaining slightly behind but not enough to enable AMD to raise prices again outside a few niches (16 core mainstream when Intel is stuck at 8 or 10, certain Threadripper models, and some high margin server parts).
That way prices won't rise for mainstream consumers, but the marketshare head away from Intel controlling over 80% towards a far healthier 50:50 split.
This should enable both companies to afford a decent R&D budget and keep reach other on their toes.
As opposed to Intel having an other Conroe moment (and AMD again making the mistake of overpaying for ATI and then having no more money for research) and then being the only game in town for a decade.
As for hatred of Intel... I think that is a bit too strong a word, but there are a number of things at play there:
  1. Everyone loves the underdog (and no Intel isn't the underdog - yet).
  2. People were not happy with Intel drip feeding quad core with minor improvements for so long.
  3. People with very long memories remember the kind of anti competitive stuff Intel pulled.
  4. People with very very long memories remember what a nightmare x86 was back in the days and still resent how Intel's truly awful 8086 design ended up dominating (but those people are hardly likely to be AMD x64 enthusiasts and more like to pin for ARM or RISC-B)
  5. The occasional AMD shareholder (but there probably are the same or higher amount of Intel shareholders on forums too).
There are probably other reasons too.

Soldato
19% ipc increse not making much diffrence in gaming is a BIG blow for gamers.

Agreed, in fact, 19% and it can't seem to beat Intel last gen in any situation.
Little bit odd that.
It loses to 5800x in virtually everything with an occasional draw.
The only good thing about this launch for anyone wanting to stay on Intel is it will drop the price of the previous gen and you might get a 10900k for significantly cheaper.
500 quid for this seems like shockingly bad pricing, consider the mobo cost is going to be significant also, given that the 5800x is less than 400 quid on OcUK at the mo, and should become even cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom