LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Caporegime
Did you watch this video
quite interesting.
It's an interesting video thanks for posting it and I do get that it is mostly HDR that benefits from this increased brightness in order to attain realistic scenes. However I do certainly think there is a definite subjective and personal element to it and an OLED with HDR maxed in a dim room is at my personal comfort limit and still look amazing to my eyes. I think that LED technology in general has really put me off bright displays due to the glare I got and maybe only Micro LED will change my mind on this in future if it is easy on the eyes as OLED. :)

Caporegime
Just wondering has anyone compared connecting using 5Ghz wifi vs the 100Mbps fast ethernet network port?
I haven't but doubt you notice the difference 99% of the time, subject obviously to your WiFi hardware and range etc.

Are you looking to have your TV somewhere that there's no ethernet? Or free up a router slot for something else?

Soldato
Just so you know the network port on the CX is limted to 100mbps. Ive always used wifi on lg oleds, never had an issue.

I'm using 2.4G wifi and no problems streaming 4k content, Amazon, Netflix, iPlayer etc all fine.

As someone trusted me about the clearance on the Vogels 405 wall mount, might as well share on here. Leaves you exactly 6cm from the top panel to the wall.

jXEOJGn.jpg

Lampshades are being delivered today, before anyone asks :p

Soldato
I haven't but doubt you notice the difference 99% of the time, subject obviously to your WiFi hardware and range etc.

Are you looking to have your TV somewhere that there's no ethernet? Or free up a router slot for something else?

I was just wondering. I have it already connected using Ethernet cable. But, I also have a spare Wifi 6 router that I could setup. But, it seems like there isn't really much point.

Associate
I've got a couple of questions I am hoping people can help with.

Since the TV arrived I haven't changed any of the picture settings, it is currently in ECO Mode and I've got used to it, it's bright (although it may be a little too bright) I've tried both ISF modes and it certainly brings the picture into a more natural look and definitely not as bright.

This thread has some very useful information. I see people mention the "HDR" and "Dolby Vision" video modes, When I checked the Picture modes, I don't see a specific entry for Dolby Vision? I see "HDR Effect" and Film Maker"

A couple of other questions:

I have Disney+ and Amazon Prime Subscriptions, should the TV switch to the appropriate modes?

When not watching movies, most of the content is HD / SD from SKY, what mode is recommended the ISF's?

Soldato
I've got a couple of questions I am hoping people can help with.

Since the TV arrived I haven't changed any of the picture settings, it is currently in ECO Mode and I've got used to it, it's bright (although it may be a little too bright) I've tried both ISF modes and it certainly brings the picture into a more natural look and definitely not as bright.

This thread has some very useful information. I see people mention the "HDR" and "Dolby Vision" video modes, When I checked the Picture modes, I don't see a specific entry for Dolby Vision? I see "HDR Effect" and Film Maker"

A couple of other questions:

I have Disney+ and Amazon Prime Subscriptions, should the TV switch to the appropriate modes?

When not watching movies, most of the content is HD / SD from SKY, what mode is recommended the ISF's?

DV / HDR kicks in automatically when you play content that has it, Disney + will have loads.

For SD content ISF dark or bright as well as filmmaker are most accurate picture modes, so I would try them, just adjust oled light to your preference

For DV, cinema is most accurate or cinema home which is ideal for brighter room setting.

And take it out of eco mode, you don’t buy an oled and leave it in eco mode:D

Caporegime
I agree, must say though I’ve read more issues with people using wired connection on the cx, I’ve had LG B6 and now cx and WiFi has been rock solid.
If WiFi is solid for you that's good to hear, sadly I am not sure mine wold cut the mustard. So far I have had no issues with the ethernet port yet... just tried playing a 30GB rip of Interstellar from my NAS and it was smooth, because believe it or not Plex says it is only a 25.3Mbps bitrate even for a file of that size! To saturate the 100Mbps connection you would need a huge file I think.

Also, if the network port has problems I read on Reddit that this specific Gigabit ethernet USB adapter works fine in the USB port of the CX and will at least provide around 500Mbps (limit of USB 2.0 port bandwidth) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
If WiFi is solid for you that's good to hear, sadly I am not sure mine wold cut the mustard. So far I have had no issues with the ethernet port yet... just tried playing a 30GB rip of Interstellar from my NAS and it was smooth, because believe it or not Plex says it is only a 25.3Mbps bitrate even for a file of that size! To saturate the 100Mbps connection you would need a huge file I think.

Also, if the network port has problems I read on Reddit that this specific Gigabit ethernet USB adapter works fine in the USB port of the CX and will at least provide around 500Mbps (limit of USB 2.0 port bandwidth) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I read about that USB adapter, as you say though 100mbps connection should be fine for most, don’t think any streaming services on tv would come close to maxing out the connection.

Associate
DV / HDR kicks in automatically when you play content that has it, Disney + will have loads.

For SD content ISF dark or bright as well as filmmaker are most accurate picture modes, so I would try them, just adjust oled light to your preference

For DV, cinema is most accurate or cinema home which is ideal for brighter room setting.

And take it out of eco mode, you don’t buy an oled and leave it in eco mode:D

Thanks! I'll have a look, sorry if this is another stupid question, but you mention Dolby Vision will kick in, what is the profile name within the presets? (if I wanted to amend the settings)

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Soldato
Did you watch this video
quite interesting.

the video, does, first thing acknowledge that dynamic tone mapping algorithm, on panasonics since 2018,
rather circumvents the problem of limited nits on cx/oled, restoring your abilityto see missed shadows/shades.

I thought the 2018's had dynamic tone mapping too, like the panasonics, to use when you were not using dolby vision, so just hdr10.

On the 2019's the hdr tone map calibration option looks interesting too, is that accesible by users, in the menus ?
since, you could control how the oleds 800nits are allocated to the films mastered at 4knits or 1knits.

Soldato
Thanks! I'll have a look, sorry if this is another stupid question, but you mention Dolby Vision will kick in, what is the profile name within the presets? (if I wanted to amend the settings)

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

You have to running a dolby vision video for it to show the presets. Which you can then adjust.

Soldato

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

When you play something in Dolby vision, likewise for standard HDR10 content you will see a pop up in top right corner saying Dolby vision or HDR if it’s just standard hdr.

for Dolby vision content you have a few presets such as DV cinema or cinema home and hdr10 you have filmmaker and some others but cant remember the names.

Caporegime
Yeah I read about that USB adapter, as you say though 100mbps connection should be fine for most, don’t think any streaming services on tv would come close to maxing out the connection.
Streaming services of course not that's self-explanatory, but streaming high bitrate content on your own network is where the hiccups can arise. But then that has to be really high bitrate 4k HDR HD audio stuff.

The problem with buying such a good TV as an LG CX is that you need to feed it higher quality to get the best experience. With my old Samsung LED's worse quality content was ok because the picture quality was so inferior. :D

When you play something in Dolby vision, likewise for standard HDR10 content you will see a pop up in top right corner saying Dolby vision or HDR if it’s just standard hdr.

for Dolby vision content you have a few presets such as DV cinema or cinema home and hdr10 you have filmmaker and some others but cant remember the names.

I have been viewing some HDR and Dolby stuff and 100 OLED brightness and 100 contrast just seems too much. Maybe I need to get used to it.

Soldato
I have been viewing some HDR and Dolby stuff and 100 OLED brightness and 100 contrast just seems too much. Maybe I need to get used to it.

Yeah don't go adjusting any of the brightness settings for HDR, leave them at default, if you find it a little bright try some different picture modes like cinema which is a little dimmer than say cinema home but is actually more accurate.

Caporegime
Yeah don't go adjusting any of the brightness settings for HDR, leave them at default, if you find it a little bright try some different picture modes like cinema which is a little dimmer than say cinema home but is actually more accurate.
Well you can always tweak it to your own tastes, that's the joy of having your own TV. :p

And yes, currently I have it on my favourite profile Cinema Home but I will experiment with others as you suggest. I think I just don't like very bright images on displays in general from so many years of monitor usage and avoiding eye strain.

PS: terrestrial TV (BBC One HD etc) look notably worse than my Samsung so I need to figure out the best settings for that.

Back
Top Bottom