Unable to boot OS after changing Ram speed

Associate
This week I rebuilt my system to with a Ryzen 5600x, on a Strix 570x - f board with Corsair APX 32gb at 3600mhz and a Samsumg 970 nmve m.2 drive as my new boot drive. I've kept my old case and I believe is a pretty decent corsair 750 watt psu and 1080ti gpu. Managed to get all built with ease, installed windows on the new drive and kept a on hdd as it was.

Used all evening and it as just fine. Booted in the morning without issue, then went back to bios to change ram speed but I did not change the profile DOCP instead just changing straight from 2666mhz to 3600mhz. Obviously not a great idea. Posted fine, afterwards black screen and no longer boots windows.

So far I've tried reseting the bios with the reset pin, CMOS, taking the ram out and switching them around and it has not helped. Curiously I plugged in my windows install usb and manually booted to it from bios and managed to reinstall without issue.. Rebooted and it no longer goes past bios.

I'm going to attempt to take the ram out and reset the motherboard after their removed and possibly try with just one stick installed. I find it quite perplexing that i can manage to reinstall windows multiple times but upon reboot I'm stuck.

I believe at this point I'm out of my depth and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Associate
OP
Taken ram out, reset CMOS pins and battery and tried individual sticks of ram, gets to bios but no boot to windows. I could flash the bios or tear the whole system down and start again. I've checked that connections for the drives and they are visible still on the bios.

Associate
OP
This is a really long shot but you could try moving the nvme drive down to the second slot to see if makes any difference?

I can give that a try, I did ponder doing this already but the screws on the shield for the second m.2 drive are ridiculously tight.. And I just managed to get it to boot by plugging the windows usb installer in, going to advanced options and exiting to windows. What kind of diagnotistic can I do at this stage?

Did you increase the voltage of the ram to 1.35v?

I didn't, definitely seems to be where my problem started.

Associate
I can give that a try, I did ponder doing this already but the screws on the shield for the second m.2 drive are ridiculously tight.. And I just managed to get it to boot by plugging the windows usb installer in, going to advanced options and exiting to windows. What kind of diagnotistic can I do at this stage?

If moving the nvme is an issue, how about removing it altogether and trying a sata drive (if you have one) in the meantime, just to rule out the m.2 drive altogether.

Regarding the memory, I would have thought that clearing the cmos would set the ram speed back to 2666 and you shouldn't need to mess with any voltages at those speeds.

Edit: I think you can run a memory test from within the advanced options you mentioned. Also, you try removing the cmos battery for 5 mins or so, just in case the button holding method you tried earlier didn't fully clear the settings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Going to try a few more things tomorrow, after getting windows running via the usb drive updated and restarted and it now seems to be boot to windows realiably. Windows can't see the hdd drive currently so I'll investigate that next and come back to setting the ram up properly. Could I have damaged the motherboard or ram and thats led this odd set of occurances?

Associate
Could I have damaged the motherboard or ram and thats led this odd set of occurances?

I'd be very surprised if the settings you changed caused any damage. If it happens again, take note of the Q LEDs at the top right of the board to see if it gives you any clues to which part of the boot process might be failing.

Soldato
This is why i never mess with Memory speeds unless its just an XMP profile, it can cause a whole cascade of issues when it goes wrong. I did this recently when i tried to overclock my 3200mhz ram to 3600mhz. Booted in fine but then bluescreened... thought damn settings aren't good so went back to bios and just changed it back to xmp. Rebooted and now Icue won't see the Ram properly, it'll detect it for about 30 seconds then i'll get the red triangle warning marker on the icue layout and icue itself will crash or freeze. Thankfully the RGB i've set will hold on every reboot so i've not had to mess with it since but icue will not detect my ram for longer than 30 seconds no matter what i do, tried reinstall of icue, reseatting ram, trying 1 module at a time, it almost seems like theres some driver thats loading or disconnecting thats causing the ram to lose connection to the icue software. Very weird!

Associate
OP
So it booted fine this morning and I've continued to update windows fully, and set the docp settings for the Ram which switched the voltage up to 1.35 as suggested earlier. Everything seems to be fine. I can only think that when I did a fresh install of windows I didn't let it fully update and restart when asked.

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I never want to touch anything in bios ever again if I can help it.

Back
Top Bottom