Confirm my worst fears - damaged frame

Soldato
I gave the bike a quick clean today and noticed what appears to be a hole behind the bottom bracket between the seat tube and the chain stays. At first, I thought it might be some weird drainage hole or something similar that I'd not noticed before, but I think that is just wishful thinking. I'm guessing something got wedged in the tyre and was then flung with a crazy amount of force and just tore a hole straight through the carbon :(. I've not had a crash, I didn't even hear any loud bangs/dings either. It's a Vitus Vitesse Evo CRi.

Do you think it's crazy dangerous to ride in this condition, or do you think it should be ok temporarily while I wait for a replacement?

Absolutely gutted as riding my bike is about the only thing I look forward to at the moment, and funds aren't looking too good at the moment :(

3FlTL3a.jpg

XxYt4hR.jpg

Soldato
OP
Wow, thanks for all the quick and helpful replies.

I've had the bike for 18 months now and have never noticed it before, but yes it certainly looks like a clean hole (as if pre-drilled), perhaps there was a bung that sat quite flush which I didn't notice.

It's in exactly the same spot as the image Dis86 has linked, so I think resurgam could be right in that in that it's for a cable.

Thanks again guys. I can sleep a bit easier at night having spent the last few minutes looking at the price of frame sets :eek:

Soldato
That's pre-drilled - it has a draft on it. On a carbon frame it would likely have cracks or a ragged edge as the failure mode. It may be a good idea to see if anyone can supply a rubber bung to stop water and general debris getting inside the frame.

Back
Top Bottom