• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

todays price hike on 30 series stuff?

Associate
Complain less and try harder.

Cards can be bought for reasonable(ish) prices if you put the time and effort in.
I'm not looking to buy a 3000 series card, they're not worth it. I just want this situation to end so we can move on. Also your reply suggests this situation is acceptable if I just "put the time and effort in", which it isn't. Not by a long shot. It shouldn't involve any more effort than adding to cart and checking out. That's the whole point.

Associate
I'm not looking to buy a 3000 series card, they're not worth it. I just want this situation to end so we can move on. Also your reply suggests this situation is acceptable if I just "put the time and effort in", which it isn't. Not by a long shot. It shouldn't involve any more effort than adding to cart and checking out. That's the whole point.
And then ordering parts for a mining rig, building it, installing Phoenix Miner and setting it to send ETH to your wallet. You forgot that part of the chain that is working harder than the purely gaming side.

Soldato
I remember when the best AIB cards only cost 20% more than the basic cards, eg my ASUS strix 970 reviewed at £300. I have seen the 3060 strix go for over £500 compared to MRSP of £299.
You also used to be able to buy last gen cards at a big discount when they came end of life, I bought the 970 brand new for £180, a vega 56 down from £349 to £235
I can see people's point of view about-face the current situation

I remember the good old days also, it was easy and relatively affordable to get into PC Gaming.

The only value these days is getting lucky with a FE card, but you need to always be ready to go for those, but a random Captcha check can destroy that chance if you're unlucky.

I see how people are drawn to sell these cards as you can make significant profit (double what you payed) on the likes of a 3080 FE.

Sad times, but even though I got lucky 2-3 weeks ago, there's a lot more people now trying for cards and less drops coming at the various stores this last week. It's become notably harder, but perseverance is key.

Soldato

'Acceptable' is an emotional view and the market doesn't work that way.

It's a new world these days with many more people at home, crypto mining being profitable and simple to get into. There's supply and demand fun bringing in non-gamers who just want to buy these up and scalp gamers for double their investment also, these are the worst or the lot but if people buy the cards at these silly prices then that feeds the vicious 'merry go round'.

It's not going to change with the supply issues throughout the supply chain. My point is, you either adapt and put some effort in to get a card, then game away, game at a lower res on an older or less powerful card, or just move away from PC gaming altogether.

Graphics cards now have new uses, PC gamers are not privileged people who deserve a GPU over anyone else just 'bcos gamer'.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Does make you wonder as that huge profit doesn't come out of thin air

They just used the oldest trick in the books.
Gain a monopoly on the market (it's only Nvidia and AMD making PC gaming gpus).

Then seriously overcharge for each gpu, so if a 3090 costs £500 , charge 3 times that £1,500.

This across the card range will easily get you $5billion plus profit.

Now the issue is ensuring people buy at these rubbish prices and, that is where they have used their monopoly and pandemic issues to make this happen. They also created an ambiguous gaming laptop market now to prevent you from getting one that competes with the full blown cards.So they are now sold out of gpus.

The concern is how they are going to treat us next! We should be very worried. These greedy companies and retailers will carry on.

You just need to look at the ambiguous laptop situation where a laptop with an rtx 3080 cannot even compare with a Full rtx 3070. The product is all wrong. False labelling weaker way forward. Pretty much no 4k gaming with these laptops like their full blown model counterparts as you will get bad fps at max settings. Rubbish, Web cams in 2021. 1tb storage, that will fill up in 1week for gaming, poor temps, nothing cutting edge we have not really seen before with these 3 series laptops. The list can go on.

Last edited:
Associate
Believe it or not but they are producing more GPUs than ever at the moment. I'll leave you to decide where they are going.

When just one mining farm in Iceland uses more power than all the residential homes in that country it shows an example of the scale of mining. However, pc gaming is also growing massively. Supply isn't keeping up with the demand from miners and pc gamers combined.

Permabanned
When just one mining farm in Iceland uses more power than all the residential homes in that country it shows an example of the scale of mining. However, pc gaming is also growing massively. Supply isn't keeping up with the demand from miners and pc gamers combined.

That's true, during the pandemic, PC gaming has increased. Tech has made huge profits.

The mining farm in Iceland that uses more power than their whole country's electricity bill is insane. But Iceland is the world's largest green energy producer. About 85% of the their energy supply is derived from domestically produced renewable energy sources. So it would likely be profitable for them to mine on that scale. Doubt that would be happening in say US or UK etc. Electricity here costs a kidney.

Associate
That's true, during the pandemic, PC gaming has increased. Tech has made huge profits.

The mining farm in Iceland that uses more power than their whole country's electricity bill is insane. But Iceland is the world's largest green energy producer. About 85% of the their energy supply is derived from domestically produced renewable energy sources. So it would likely be profitable for them to mine on that scale. Doubt that would be happening in say US or UK etc. Electricity here costs a kidney.

Spot on. I understand that most mining takes place in China, in part owing to low energy costs. I believe I have read that mining in total uses more power than Argentina. I understand that Texas has some mining as they have reasonable energy costs. This guy has gone solar, interesting how far some people have developed mining, https://youtu.be/GrQ3-q2K03Q

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I'm might have visited that farm. :D

It's an ideal place to do it tbh. Cheap geothermal energy, natural air cooling and just happens to be one of my favourite countries...but most mining is done on foreign shores and that's why we block overseas orders.

Last edited:
Associate
What with the final lockdown in the UK coming to an end, me thinks gaming demand will dry up. ETH price has levelled off. Also, Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) 1559 (https://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-improvement-proposal-1559-london-hard-fork) will reduce mining profit by 30% in July. People will want to spend money on Summer holidays. It looks to be around July that we could have a GPU market crash.

Even my 'bullish' mate who recently bought six 3070s from OcUK thinks he might be a bit late to the mining game.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
It looks to be around July that we could have a GPU market crash.

and by crash do you mean crash or a slow 6 months drag where prices get back to within rrp ? as dont forget people who already own the gpu's wont be suddenly selling up as they have already paid for them if they are miners come july, now if etherium crashes hard then yeah we could possibly see a glut of 2nd hand cards and new retail cards pricing dropping faster but honestly im still expecting it to be end of year before rrp cards are a thing again.

Associate
and by crash do you mean crash or a slow 6 months drag where prices get back to within rrp ? as dont forget people who already own the gpu's wont be suddenly selling up as they have already paid for them if they are miners come july, now if etherium crashes hard then yeah we could possibly see a glut of 2nd hand cards and new retail cards pricing dropping faster but honestly im still expecting it to be end of year before rrp cards are a thing again.
I'd probably say a 6 month drag down to RRP or MSRP as you say.

Back
Top Bottom