Spec me a van to convert please.

Soldato
......uprated to 3.9 - 4.5t just by getting the paperwork changed but then you need a 7.5t licence to drive it

......and have it limited to 56mph, and install a tachograph.[edit: as Scania has pointed out tachograph may not be required] And learn the tachograph rules.

And if your horsey antics could as commercial you need an O License and an a CPC.

Trying to stay under 3.5t is a good idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah...Don’t think you need a tacho for up to 7.5t horseboxes private use...for actual 7.5t trucks you need a tacho fitted after a certain age (ie they’ll be fitted anyway) but still don’t need to use the tacho if it’s private use only.
I’m no sure about the tacho rules on uprated vans for private use but imagine it’d only be needed for commercial use.

everything else tho is why the 3.5t are so popular...you get much more for your money with an actual 7.5t horsebox but the limiter/plating/license puts people off

Caporegime
From the sounds of it you are at best going to be borderline on the weight limit for such a vehicle.

There is a very good reason most horse transporters are at least 7.5t MGW.

You don’t need an operators license for a privately used 7.5t nor tachograph so long as the vehicle is not used for hire or reward.

I’d advise you sign up here and ask around.

https://www.horsenetwork.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20889

Man of Honour
Yeah be careful with weights, a lot of box vans get caught out with this as they're mostly only 3.5t and with a tail lift installed and 3 burly lads in the front seats the actual payload they can legally carry is amazingly small, like 800kg sometimes.

Make sure you do the sums and fully understand GVW and MAM etc as its very easy to get caught out, i've heard of a lot more people getting stopping and sent to weigh bridges over the last couple of years.

Yup - we had a manager in disbelief and totally upset their day/plans when we figured out the max payload legally was around 650kg (I think we under calculated it a little but had to err on the side of caution) for one setup as they were expecting at least 1500 and it was going to need 2x the vans they'd envisioned.

Man of Honour
Not an engine I'm familiar with but seems reasonable on paper - OK amount of torque which is what is going to count.

Associate
Would an LDV 55 plate be any good?

If its a late model Convoy, avoid. The Convoy was a facelifted Sherpa/Freight Rover and was more or less unchanged from the 70's vans it was based on, and it really showed. All were absolute poverty spec. Horrid to drive, gutless, noisy and most were ready for scrap the moment they left the factory.

If its a early model Maxus they are much better. These were a whole new van from LDV and were reasonably realiable with decent amount of power and speed. Surprisingly nice to drive. I always thought the cabin felt quite roomy compared to the competition but unfortunatly the build quality really let these down compared to Transits and Sprinters of the same era. The ergonomics of the dash and button placement was poor, and the plastics were cheap and fell to bits if you breathed on them. Exterior bodywork seemed OK though. I wouldn't go for one unless its a super bargain price. That said, China are still churning the Maxus out to this day and even import them to Europe under the SAIC brand.

As others have said, with a horsebox body and 2 nags you may struggle to stay under 3.5t. Personally I would look for something with GVW over 4.5 tons post conversion just for peace of mind. I'm assuming you passed your driving tests after 1997, so would need a C1 license? Even so, it would probably be worth it.

Soldato
^^they don’t sound great...I’m no sure on the vans themselves but you don’t see many LDV Horseboxes...

I don’t think there’s a fibreglass pod/aero kit available for them so it’s going to be a conversion (still looks like a van) or built more like a traditional Horsebox with flat/square shaped luton.
Or if it’s the really old looking type it’s the same as a transit box van with ladder frame chassis and a box mounted on top, so high centre office gravity/steep ramp
No idea on payloads...

stick with a Renault Master (or Vauxhall’s, Nissan)style or Fiat Ducao (Peugeot, Citroen)style I’d say

Last edited:
Associate
Why do you want a van ?
What is it that you need from it that you cant achieve with a horse trailer + suitable towing vehicle ?

Its something I looked at quite seriously a while back. At the time, we had a large 4x4 + ifor trailer. The idea behind looking at a van was that it would give use somewhere usable as a sitting space for the longer times we spent at events and various wastes of hours. When it came down to it, we found that a lot of sub 3.5t van setups didn't really offer much of a usable sitting space etc ... in fact in reality, a lot less comfortable space than you really had with the 4x4. Then there was the weight issues as mentioned, and a lot of smaller setups may skimp on what could be serious issues, such as strengthened bulkheads. ( In a crash, you dont want 600+kg of mass going straight through the bulkhead. ) The 3.5t market just didn't really do it for me. I felt safer with the 4x4 + trailer.

The weight thing had me looking at 7.5t small lorries instead. There is a reason they are so common ... you get decent space with them. Trouble it its easy to go too big, a fault my friends did.

The suggestions of a larger van is what I personally had in mind at the time. Something like an Iveco 6.5t daily, which could pull double duty as a horse van and maybe something like a camper if needed. Never got round to it though due to horse injury.

Soldato
OP
Why do you want a van ?
What is it that you need from it that you cant achieve with a horse trailer + suitable towing vehicle ?

Its something I looked at quite seriously a while back. At the time, we had a large 4x4 + ifor trailer. The idea behind looking at a van was that it would give use somewhere usable as a sitting space for the longer times we spent at events and various wastes of hours. When it came down to it, we found that a lot of sub 3.5t van setups didn't really offer much of a usable sitting space etc ... in fact in reality, a lot less comfortable space than you really had with the 4x4. Then there was the weight issues as mentioned, and a lot of smaller setups may skimp on what could be serious issues, such as strengthened bulkheads. ( In a crash, you dont want 600+kg of mass going straight through the bulkhead. ) The 3.5t market just didn't really do it for me. I felt safer with the 4x4 + trailer.

The weight thing had me looking at 7.5t small lorries instead. There is a reason they are so common ... you get decent space with them. Trouble it its easy to go too big, a fault my friends did.

The suggestions of a larger van is what I personally had in mind at the time. Something like an Iveco 6.5t daily, which could pull double duty as a horse van and maybe something like a camper if needed. Never got round to it though due to horse injury.

These are all good points, trust me I've sat around at many a show wishing I could just chill somewhere, perhaps have a kip, and I may look at something bigger, but at the end of the day it won't be me driving as I have shrugged that scene off so it leaves my missus to drive. She won't drive with a trailer full stop, nothing will get her interested in another trailer. She would be happy in a van although I may look at some smaller 7.5t vans as I think you have a good point.

Associate
I also never really understood the need for 2 horses in the vans. I saw so many folk with a custom van and only 1 horse.

i figured it would be better to have a single horse space and make it such you had a larger sitting space rather than losing a horses amount of space that went unused.

best solution... a heavy duty van camper that could tow a horse trailer !

Back
Top Bottom