• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Lose More Market Share To Nvidia - Now Only Got 18%

Caporegime
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...re-_-Discrete-Graphics-Cards-_-Q4-2020-_1.jpg

**Do Not Hotlink Images **

When looking at the discrete graphics segment, the market segment saw gains with NVIDIA gaining a 2 point market share lead over AMD. NVIDIA GeForce GPUs now account for 82% of the overall d GPU market share while AMD Radeon graphics cards account for 18%. That's a huge increase when compared to the previous year where NVIDIA was sitting at 73% discrete and AMD at 27%. NVIDIA not only released high-end GeForce RTX 30 GPUs but has also introduced more mainstream GPUs in Q1 2021 which should also help them raise the market share in the upcoming results.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gained-discrete-gpu-market-share-in-q4-2020-versus-amd-radeon/

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Thats got they have no bloody stock anywhere to be seen! You can see it on Discord, where people are watching both nvidia and amd gpu's and they'll have whichever they can get their hands on. Since Nvidia does more drops its no doubt Nvidia market share is up!

Caporegime
Thats got they have no bloody stock anywhere to be seen! You can see it on Discord, where people are watching both nvidia and amd gpu's and they'll have whichever they can get their hands on. Since Nvidia does more drops its no doubt Nvidia market share is up!

This.

And factor in that from their ces event shows a couple months back there, amd couldn't give a **** about PC now when they got their fingers in many other more lucrative markets now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Add in the consoles and there share of onboard then i doubt they are overly worried. If they had stock of there discrete boards it would probably look way different. Got to think the majority of that share loss is to miners as well. As long as AMD are selling everything they can produce they are most likely happy atm.

Soldato
Probably someone ignorant enough to not know the backstory and take the graph at face value.
The thread on the PC Gaming subreddit was celebrating it because AMD are "greedy" for setting prices anywhere near Nvidia's cards, and full of people saying they'd never buy AMD because of their "lower quality" and "driver issues". One highly-upvoted post said that AMD would have to provide better performance than Nvidia at half the price before they'd even consider buying an AMD card.

That's the kind of mindshare they're up against. I think Nvidia have surpassed Apple in terms of the cult-like following they have. Nobody ever really liked Intel to begin with. There was just no other option.

Caporegime
The thread on the PC Gaming subreddit was celebrating it because AMD are "greedy" for setting prices anywhere near Nvidia's cards, and full of people saying they'd never buy AMD because of their "lower quality" and "driver issues". One highly-upvoted post said that AMD would have to provide better performance than Nvidia at half the price before they'd even consider buying an AMD card.

That's the kind of mindshare they're up against. I think Nvidia have surpassed Apple in terms of the cult-like following they have. Nobody ever really liked Intel to begin with. There was just no other option.
Pretty much!

I went with nvidia this gen purely because there was zero chance of getting a 6800xt for MSRP (lesser ray tracing perf. and no dlss alternative did sway me too).

But in my experience, amd offer FAR better drivers in every way possible compared to nvidia, it's a joke that it takes a solid 10 seconds to start up nvidias control panel.... thankfully not like I go in there often though.

Caporegime
Last time I checked, AMD basically only had two cards for sale - one costing £1000 (RRP +£400) and one costing £800 (RRP +£300).

So it's not really difficult to understand why they're currently losing market share.

nVidia have cards as low as £500 (major LOL), only RRP +£200.

Soldato
Pretty much!

I went with nvidia this gen purely because there was zero chance of getting a 6800xt for MSRP (lesser ray tracing perf. and no dlss alternative did sway me too).

But in my experience, amd offer FAR better drivers in every way possible compared to nvidia, it's a joke that it takes a solid 10 seconds to start up nvidias control panel.... thankfully not like I go in there often though.

I agree. The Nvidia hype is basically hot air. I got my RTX 3080FE a few days ago and I can honestly say the AMD drivers are far better. When I first opened the control panel it was like I had gone back in time. Absolutely amateur hour.
I have a dual boot system and so far the Linux OS has been trashed when I installed the Nvidia driver and just hangs in the login screen. Windows is ok for now but I did have a crash in Ark Survival which froze the system.

Those spouting the age old 'AMD drivers are bad' don't know what they are talking about or simply regurgitating the meme to troll.
Even the much praised DLSS is an anti-climax since it introduces slight softness to the image at 1440P. It might be better for 4K users but I certainly won't be using it except maybe in RT titles. The 6800XT would have been the better card but sadly lack of supply is a huge problem.

Last edited:
Associate
This.

And factor in that from their ces event shows a couple months back there, amd couldn't give a **** about PC now when they got their fingers in many other more lucrative markets now.
Well, going by the word lucrative consoles can't be one of them.
About the only way AMD could get less per TSMC wafer than console margins would be if they gave stuff away.
One 300mm 7nm wafer yields around 100 XBX dies or over 600 Zen 3 chiplets.
No idea how much they charge Microsoft or Sony, but doubt they make more $100 over cost while each Zen 3 chiplet most be close to $150 profit on its own. So $100 versus $ 900 or so.

Soldato
Well, going by the word lucrative consoles can't be one of them.
About the only way AMD could get less per TSMC wafer than console margins would be if they gave stuff away.
One 300mm 7nm wafer yields around 100 XBX dies or over 600 Zen 3 chiplets.
No idea how much they charge Microsoft or Sony, but doubt they make more $100 over cost while each Zen 3 chiplet most be close to $150 profit on its own. So $100 versus $ 900 or so.
Except they are going to sell over 150 million units across the console life cycle and had RDNA 2 development bank rolled by Sony and Microsoft.

Soldato
Except they are going to sell over 150 million units across the console life cycle and had RDNA 2 development bank rolled by Sony and Microsoft.

I was just about to post this :p

Also over the 3-5 year lifetime of the console the cost of a 7nm wafer will drop significantly increasing profit margins.

Associate
Okay, that is true. (And it makes any "are Microsoft or Sony selling the consoles at a loss" calculation harder as it's not just about the BoM since development cost so much.)
Doubt that the savings of wafer prices decreasing factors into it as I though one of the main reasons Nvidia are out of consoles was because they didn't pass those cost saving on, so I assume the current contracts are clear on who and how such savings would be shared out.

Back
Top Bottom