• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 crashes - anyone getting them?

Associate
All core PBO -25

All cores get to 4.85 whilst gaming and 4.750-4.775 during CB20 @ 100% load.

Stunning chip.

Matt

Hi buddy,

what cooling do you have?

My settings are -5 for the best 2 cores and -10 for the rest and that is limiting to +75Mhz speed otherwise I get random crashes! I left PBO power settings to auto (so AMD defaults) as motherboard settings produces crashes.

Currently running 2x8gb of Samsung B-die ram at 3800 16-16-16

Associate
I purchased a 5950X from OCUK and had problems from the moment I got it. The quick succession of BIOS updates made it difficult troubleshooting the problems, but I do have to admit that the later BIOS released in Jan of this year seemed to massively improve stability. That said, I still got WHEAs, and general protection faults with a few spontaneous reboots each week. Issues largely surfaced on rebooting the machine. The issues happened at stock or XMP/DOCP. I did not overclock otherwise, with exception of a week of putting up the core voltage to see if that brought stability, which it did. Also installing windows could be a painful experience, as often these happened when I was trying a fresh install.

From memory my original 5950x processor was a week 46 batch from 2020.

I put in for an RMA via AMD and got a replacement in just over a week (sent to and from the Netherlands to the UK). Whilst I was down for that week, the new processor (a week 39 processor believe it or not!), was sent out only 2 weeks ago, and I've yet to see any of the previous errors. Things have been completely stable, in fact boringly so.

Idle temps are in the low 40s, and under stress it goes up to high 60s (Cinebench23, prime95, etc). There are some strange background tasks and programs that whilst they don't stress the system do cause temp spikes in mid to high 70s (I'm looking specifically at you Corsair with your really rubbish software which you fail to update, despite complaints over many years). Disabling that software causes me not to see those spikes, so I'm not clear why these show up when half the cores are asleep. Otherwise the replacement processor is really boringly stable.

The replacement on Prime95 at XMP/DOCP, but with everything else set to auto shows an all core clock speed of around 4.5Ghz, so I am sure if I do a little playing around, I might get quite a bit higher. Cinebench23 goes to around 4.375 all core).

The previous processor did not achieve those levels so something was definitely off about it. AMD also was very quick to confirm the RMA, so I do wonder if there were a few known batches with issues.

I should point out that I did get phantom spontaneous reboots showing sometimes in the logs. If I have requested my machine to reboot, sometimes it thinks it did not reboot cleanly causing an error. That said, I think I found a fix and that was to issue the following via Windows Terminal:
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Never seen the issue again since doing the above, so it was definitely something hanging around and strongly suggests the new processor is 100% fine.

I should finally state that in order to confirm the processor was the issue, I did change PSU and memory. Neither made the slightest bit of difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had the odd issue here and there (with 3700x, not a 5000 series) but don't know if it's down to AMD or just luck, maybe a handful of times. I think I've had just a couple of BSODs as well, the last time i had it the PC was on for over 20 days.

Some days ago i was just browsing and my keyboard suddenly stopped working. The Num Lock LED was lit but it literally wouldn't take any inputs, it seemed like it was just frozen, so i had to unplug it and plug it back in and then it started working again. This is a USB keyboard, i can't think of what could have caused it other than the AMD USB connection issues I've been hearing about. My mouse still worked fine though. Lately I've been using my PC only for watching videos and browsing, and letting it mine in the background.

Soldato
Hi buddy,

what cooling do you have?

My settings are -5 for the best 2 cores and -10 for the rest and that is limiting to +75Mhz speed otherwise I get random crashes! I left PBO power settings to auto (so AMD defaults) as motherboard settings produces crashes.

Currently running 2x8gb of Samsung B-die ram at 3800 16-16-16
I sounds to me like it's you're memory that is causing the crashes. I've experienced no crashes at all in relation to tweaking the curve optimiser and most I've seen here are capable of going down to -25 without issue. CL 16 timing is quite hard to achieve stability with at 3800, is that the XMP / DCOP profile they came with? I'd be tempted to either lower your RAM frequency or increase the timings to CL 18 and see if that allows you to increase your curve optimisations and max boost speed.

Associate
I sounds to me like it's you're memory that is causing the crashes. I've experienced no crashes at all in relation to tweaking the curve optimiser and most I've seen here are capable of going down to -25 without issue. CL 16 timing is quite hard to achieve stability with at 3800, is that the XMP / DCOP profile they came with? I'd be tempted to either lower your RAM frequency or increase the timings to CL 18 and see if that allows you to increase your curve optimisations and max boost speed.

Safe setting from dram calculator for ryzen.

The memory is rated for 3200 14-14-14 (TG 8 Pack)

Soldato
Safe setting from dram calculator for ryzen.

The memory is rated for 3200 14-14-14 (TG 8 Pack)
Mmm ok. I think I would still see if using timings of 18-21-21-12-40 or thereabouts would allow for more aggressive curve optimisation and max boost frequency. In latency terms it should only cost around 10 ns but this could well be offset in terms of overall performance by gains from better curve optimisation and max core boost. I say this based on my own experimenting since I got my 5800X and new RAM. Worth having a go...

Associate
Mmm ok. I think I would still see if using timings of 18-21-21-12-40 or thereabouts would allow for more aggressive curve optimisation and max boost frequency. In latency terms it should only cost around 10 ns but this could well be offset in terms of overall performance by gains from better curve optimisation and max core boost. I say this based on my own experimenting since I got my 5800X and new RAM. Worth having a go...

I might give it a go, thanks for the advice. I guess you believe that I am putting too much pressure on the memory controller and that it is not allowing a more aggressive curve opt; It makes sense.

I think it could be also my basic cooling using a 120mm AIO (Kraken M22). I have a more suitable corsair 280mm in a box, I might try it but just been lazy and to be honest, I feel I have more power than I need :)

Soldato
Jinxed it
"A fatal hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 6"

My mate is getting these same errors on his 5800X, stock.

Tried following so far:

1. Replaced RAM with known working modules
2. Replaced PSU with known working PSU
3. Replaced GPU (long shot, but had a Nvidia gt 710 handy to try

Only things we haven't changed are motherboard and CPU.

We're considering just trying a CPU RMA, haven't seen many motherboard failure reports, mostly just the CPU's.

Did you get yours fixed?

Soldato

Tried following so far:

We're considering just trying a CPU RMA, haven't seen many motherboard failure reports, mostly just the CPU's.

Did you get yours fixed?
I dont know if your trolling or not but
Ok what motherboard has your mate got and can you post a pic of what settings hes useing i know you said stock but will be handy to see if anything is suspect in the settings

Associate

Tried following so far:

Did you get yours fixed?

This is what I got with the 5950x. I also tried all steps above. RMA with AMD directly sorted it.

Associate

Tried following so far:

Did you get yours fixed?

You have mates that use AMD, would have thought you would want nothing to do with anyone with AMD in their system. Did you not manage to convince him with all your BS to wait for Rocket Lake

Soldato
You have mates that use AMD, would have thought you would want nothing to do with anyone with AMD in their system. Did you not manage to convince him with all your BS to wait for Rocket Lake
I think hes trolling again to be honest last week he was thinking of getting one was his post in this very thread but the crashes had put him off no mention of a mate haveing a 5800x then now this week its his mate lol

Associate
I think hes trolling again to be honest last week he was thinking of getting one was his post in this very thread but the crashes had put him off no mention of a mate haveing a 5800x then now this week its his mate lol
Lol, definately wins troll of teh year award

Associate

Tried following so far:

Did you get yours fixed?
Sent mine back for a refund as i found a 5900X.

Associate
95% of the time the WHEA errors pointed to APIC 8 (5th Core), which is actually what Ryzen master designated as my best core. Even at +5 it would still crash. With HWInfo reporting that sometimes the voltage would drop to 0.2V at idle I wouldn't think that's a CPU issue as such, more of a power delivery one.
I'm happy enough with turning off Global C-States for now at least.

I would still get the odd crash with just C-State disabled although it did improve stability. My RMA 5900X is scheduled to arrive today so will report back, not bad turnaround tbh less than two weeks from contacting support.

Associate
Since I went back to 2x8gb of memory (instead of 4x8gb), I don't have any more crashes! Having said that, 4x8gb at 3200Mhz was stable, the crashes came for clocking the memory at 3600 and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom