A friendly reminder to all of us who work on cars at home

Man of Honour
Having learnt my trade as a mechanical engineer in the RAF it's automatic for me to chock the wheels and also to always use axle stands when jacking the car up. A lot of people can't be bothered with the hassle though and that's when things like this happen. There is a garage in Elgin that I usually cringe at when we go past as 9/10 they have a car, often one of these huge 4x4 pick ups, jacked up with all the wheels off and no axle stands underneath. The jacks are usually at maximum elevation too. Someone is going to have a serious accident there one day.

Caporegime
Terrible news :(

Reminds me of the time I was putting a new set of alloys on my A4. I was doing this on my crappy driveway, using the silly jack that came with the car’s tool kit.

My mate who was supposed to be helping me, was indoors watching the rugby. I was putting on the last wheel when the jack toppled over and the car fell towards me. Luckily I had positioned the wheel up against the hub (just about to put the bolts in), so when the car fell off the jack, the brake disk landed on the inside of the rim, which took the weight of the car. I crapped my pants, but was unhurt.

That was over 10 years ago and I still shiver when I think about it. Idiot.

Similar happened to me and a Clio. The jack snapped within about 2 minutes of jacking the car up, whilst I was getting the stands from the garage. Always think would have happened if I was under it etc. Sorry to hear about your neighbour JRS. :/

Soldato
I never forget the day i jacked up a machine and put concrete breeze blocks underneath it with a 20mm steel plate on top of them and i just started to go under the machine when one the concrete blocks basically just exploded and of cause the machine dropped i had a hard hat on at the time and i was that close my hard hat was caught and crushed

Last edited:
Soldato
Similar happened to me and a Clio. The jack snapped within about 2 minutes of jacking the car up, whilst I was getting the stands from the garage. Always think would have happened if I was under it etc. Sorry to hear about your neighbour JRS. :/

One of those basic wind up jacks? I find they're incredibly flimsy.

Soldato
the rare time i've ever been under a vehicle to work on it i've always been so very concious of the methods of propping said vehicle up. even the likes of jack stands terrify me with thoughts of tipping.

sorry to hear the fella didn't make it :(

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP

Back at'cha bud.

Might sound daft but don't be afraid to seek help if it really does start getting to you.

Yea, it’s very much ok to not be ok after seeing something like that.

Cheers guys. I'm in the fortunate position of having a decently robust support network with family and friends locally.

And to reiterate...

Use. God damned. Chocks.

Use a brick. Stack wheels underneath. Repurpose a tree trunk cutting. Anything. Quite apart from the damage it can do to you if things go wrong, think about the damage losing you is gonna do to your family.

Soldato
I hope you’re ok pal. This thread has resonated with me quite deeply. Even if just one person thinks twice when they’re next working on their car after reading it, it will be a positive impact in light of a horrible tragedy.

Soldato
Awful news, really sad and I hope you are okay JRS.

I have many a time debated doing work on my cars but I have a horrendous feeling of paranoia about things like this so I have always avoided it.

Back
Top Bottom