New build keeps rebooting, need some help!

Associate
Hi all,

I've just put together a build and it's being a right pain, this is first PC I have built since about 6 years of using a laptop, really not enjoying the experience so far! Having all new components and few spare parts is making diagnostic a pain!

The build is:
  • Ryzen 5600
  • MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz
  • AMD R9 270X
  • Corsair MP510 NVME
  • be-quiet 600w
The first issue I had was in getting anything to install, as soon as I tried to run a windows or linux server install the PC would restart. I narrowed this down to the back plate on the mobo shorting, I had that happen once a long time ago, it was quite annoying as I had optimistically built everything and cable managed and then had to rip it all out again! After removing the plate everything installed fine but I still had some reboots during the final setup phases of windows when selecting privacy options and creating a user.

The issue I have now is that the PC will randomly reboot. I can leave it on the desktop for some time without issue but browsing the web for a few mins (only driver pages / forums) will make it reboot, it is very intermittent. Launched cpu-z and it restarted, did it again after reboot and it was fine.

Things I have tried:
  • Replaced the 270x with a basic low profile ati card I had from an old work machine! Still get the reboot. Glad of this as I bought it used due to horrible prices at the min and thought had been sold a dud!
  • Moved mobo out of case to rule out any other shorting going on. No joy.
  • Updated bios to latest version.
  • Installed single stick of ram at a time (mem tested and passed). Still get reboot.
  • Tried PSU on different machine, however the old PC does not boot into windows so haven't ruled this out, my old PSU doesn't have 2 4 pin for the CPU to be able try the other way around. I might try and see if I can get that PC working and then retry the PSU.
One thing I didn't check was the RAM compatibility, the msi site does not list my ram as compatible :| I thought it wouldn't of mattered and would just run lower speeds without issue but maybe I was wrong to assume that?? The ram defaults to 2133mhz with tighter timings (15-15-15-36) than what the ram is rated at 3600mhz (18-22-22-42) but again would expect that? I have noticed the PC is more stable when I run at 3200mhz with timings set to 18-22-22-42 (not sure of this is coincidental) but I didn't get the reboot as frequently but it does still happen!

Any thoughts or suggestions?! I'm was thinking PSU or bad memory compatibility but with mem test passing then memory should be fine? In which case I'm back to PSU or perhaps the mobo itself?

Last edited:
Soldato
  • Moved mobo out of case to rule out any other shorting going on. No joy.
Presumably without any case connectors too, and you jump the start pins?

Any thoughts or suggestions?! I'm was thinking PSU or bad memory compatibility but with mem test passing then memory should be fine? In which case I'm back to PSU or perhaps the mobo itself?

Don't discount the CPU either. Can you go into BIOS and give it a bit more voltage and test? I remember some issues with a few older 2600/2600X where they ran more stable with boost or xmp boost or something which also fed the CPU more voltage, and replacing CPU confirmed the originals were faulty. Jury's still out somewhat on these newer 5000 series but there are accounts about more dodgy ones than normal. Thing is that Intel's marketing practices need taking into account when it comes to these stories as well.

Associate
OP
I removed all but the power connector, just removed that now as well but still no difference. The board is on anti-static packaging it came in, which itslef is on a plastic lid ontop of the case.

Good point, I have for some reason! I will try that thanks and report back.

Changing memory config still seems to have some effect but again it may just be coincidence. If I set to SPD speeds I can barely load the browser before reboot, if I try to adjust to closest compatible ram config from msi site seems I can use for longer but this may again just be coincidental, I need to try and replicate a few times to make sure not just random chance, first will double check CPU.

Associate
Somewhat unrelated to the issue you are facing but you should never place electronic components on the anti-static packing.

Yes I have heard that the outside of the bag isn't good for the board, just the inside. I would place it on some cardboard.

Have you tried in the bios selecting OC settings on the left of the screen, then in that screen disabling xmp and going down and selecting 3000 as the ddr setting. This is usually a fairly stable speed

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Somewhat unrelated to the issue you are facing but you should never place electronic components on the anti-static packing.

Oh my, never thought about it really, well you learn something every day..it is now off the bag!

So I have update to the issue, I ran some stress test using aida64:
  • CPU/FPU test, 1h no issue.
  • System Memory, 1h no issue
  • Cache, 1min 30 seconds..reboot!
@Danny75 Not sure if this means it's the CPU as I'm not entirely sure what gets tested by the cache, is it just the cpu cache or involves memory as well.

Edit: Looking at resources when running "cache" test CPU@100% and memory@50%

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you tried in the bios selecting OC settings on the left of the screen, then in that screen disabling xmp and going down and selecting 3000 as the ddr setting. This is usually a fairly stable speed

Yep that's what I have running at the moment, I had thought this had made it more stable but it rebooted within 2 minutes of startup :(

Soldato
Can you get it to reboot using just a USB bootable version of Mint or similar? Take the m.2 drive out as well once you've tested with it in, I've had a few faulty MP510s.

Associate
OP
I suppose that is the other component that I haven't thought about, did your faulty MP510s cause reboots? I thought it would probably be an all or nothing with those? I will try that thanks, although it is looking like this could be memory related after all, that said memory controller is on the CPU right so who knows?!

I ran the dedicated cache and memory test and not the stability check it fails every time on the memory test. First time it got to the "copy" stage and rebooted, next time failed within 2 seconds of the read stage which is the first stage. It is never getting to the CPU cache tests which are after the memory test. Soo the aida64 system memory test and memtest 86 from flash pass without issue but this particular mem test is failing.

Associate
OP
Can you get it to reboot using just a USB bootable version of Mint or similar? Take the m.2 drive out as well once you've tested with it in, I've had a few faulty MP510s.

I am on ubuntu live now, browsing has not caused any issues except for my eyes...why are the fonts still this bad! I am running some benchmarks now but I can't get aida64 so not able to run same test. Time for bed, I will keep this running and see what happens, I may install windows onto an old drive and check that also, thanks for suggestion.

Soldato
I am on ubuntu live now, browsing has not caused any issues except for my eyes...why are the fonts still this bad! I am running some benchmarks now but I can't get aida64 so not able to run same test. Time for bed, I will keep this running and see what happens, I may install windows onto an old drive and check that also, thanks for suggestion.

Sorry didn't see your reply.

It was just a suggestion to take the software out of the loop, plenty of memory tests/stress tests that can be done in Linux. As you rightly pointed out it could be, RAM, CPU (Mem controller) firmware, etc.
You've got your RAM in the correct slots I assume? (A2 + B2) Running it at 2133/2400 is always a good idea when looking for faults elsewhere. you should also ensure that literally nothing else is connected that doesn't need to be , e.g no expansion cards, extra USB devices, or spare HDD's just literally get it to the lowest number of parts you can, then if it is still failing you can start pointing fingers more easily.

Oh and your old PSU should work with just the 4-pin in the 8-pin EPS connector just fine for the CPU you have.

Associate
OP
I ran a few stress tests of CPU in linux and no reboot, that said I can do CPU / FPU in windows without reboot as well. It didn't reboot while browsing around either though, need to try for longer or perhaps find a way to stress test the same way, CPU and general memory tests appear not to cause any issues.

I installed win 10 on old 7200drive and it still reboots, its also unbearably slow..all that disk access makes me want to throw it out the window! Guess that rules out the nvme drive.

Memory has been tried in all banks, it's back in slot 2 running single stick, also now at 2133.

I tried the old PSU with just 4pin but it restarted before getting into windows, or might not even have booted..I didn't pay much attention just noted it as not working. I did however plug the 24 pin (how are these not obsolete, feels like I will snap my mobo every time I try and pry them off or push them on) from my old PSU into the new mobo and and kept just the 8 pins for CPU from new PSU which was powered up using old PC, so a combo of both PSU powering new board with an ati card that doesn't need any extra juice, still get the reboot, I'm not sure if that is enough to rule out the PSU but seeing as CPU / FPU benchmark run without issue I think I can.

Looks like GFX, NVME and PSU are good. That still leaves me with Memory, CPU and Mobo though :/

Using adia64, cpu, memory read and memory write benchmarks pass every time. The memory copy benchmark fails every time with a reboot within 2 seconds (although it did pass once in about 15 attempts!)

The description for the tests are:

read: "The benchmark reads a 16 MB sized, 1 MB aligned data buffer from system memory into the CPU. Memory is read in forward direction, continuously without breaks."
write: "The benchmark writes a 16 MB sized, 1 MB aligned data buffer from the CPU into the system memory. Memory is written in forward direction, continuously without breaks."
copy: "The benchmark copies a 8 MB sized, 1 MB aligned data buffer into another 8 MB sized, 1 MB aligned data buffer through the CPU. Memory is copied in forward direction, continuously without breaks."

If the read / write benchmarks and memtest86 all pass, it makes me think that the memory is also probably fine..leaving more likely candidate of CPU or mobo?? I have 0 idea on the what CPU memory controller failure would be, the fact it can still do read writes but not copy is perplexing me, I also keep reading about memory incompatibility and instability so am still wary of that.

At this point I feel I have exhausted my options and will have to start the RMA process on the most likely to least likely which at this point I'm thinking is CPU, mobo, ram?

Soldato
At this point I feel I have exhausted my options and will have to start the RMA process on the most likely to least likely which at this point I'm thinking is CPU, mobo, ram?

Therein lies the issue, it could be any of them. If you got all the parts from one place you could ask them to figure it out for you. Normally I'd happily offer my services but due to covid I can't really have people over to help with diagnostics (even if you live near by). :(

Associate
OP
Yeah no probs, thanks though! I ended up ordering a cheap used mobo as I didn't want more back and forth that and I'm lazy, it has already done my head in!

So this cheapo asrock is running fine and stable, therefore it looks like I have a bad board or it is extremely picky with what ram it will accept, I will return it on the weekend. Probably a bit wasteful as this board cost me £40 but I will grab something in due course probably when I get a graphics card so 2022 by the looks of it! This will do for time being I think.

Thanks for the assistance on this all, greatly appreciated :)

Associate
Don't discount the CPU either. Can you go into BIOS and give it a bit more voltage and test? I remember some issues with a few older 2600/2600X where they ran more stable with boost or xmp boost or something which also fed the CPU more voltage, and replacing CPU confirmed the originals were faulty. Jury's still out somewhat on these newer 5000 series but there are accounts about more dodgy ones than normal. Thing is that Intel's marketing practices need taking into account when it comes to these stories as well.

Agreed:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34615420/

Back
Top Bottom