• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Lose More Market Share To Nvidia - Now Only Got 18%

Soldato
Okay, that is true. (And it makes any "are Microsoft or Sony selling the consoles at a loss" calculation harder as it's not just about the BoM since development cost so much.)
Doubt that the savings of wafer prices decreasing factors into it as I though one of the main reasons Nvidia are out of consoles was because they didn't pass those cost saving on, so I assume the current contracts are clear on who and how such savings would be shared out.
I thought Nvidia got the boot for screwing MS and Sony in the products they supplied and not because of the cost of the GPU? :confused:

Unfortunately there is no way for us to even guess at what the contract says.

Caporegime
That's AMD Radeon Technologies R&D budget down to a minimum again then.

Doubt it, they have to take into account the current situation and how many they could produce etc. You could have made the same comment about their cpu division a few years ago and that was turned around nicely. They're not going to give up after basically equalling nvidia in a single jump from the 5700xt after being behind for many years, obviously ray tracing will be vastly improved in the next series of cards as well.

Soldato
Doubt it, they have to take into account the current situation and how many they could produce etc. You could have made the same comment about their cpu division a few years ago and that was turned around nicely. They're not going to give up after basically equalling nvidia in a single jump from the 5700xt after being behind for many years, obviously ray tracing will be vastly improved in the next series of cards as well.

Yeah, also it's not like they're not able to sell the cards because they can't compete... RDNA2 is competitive and they're selling each and every card they can produce (all 5 of them :p), and will continue to do so for a good while yet.

If anything the profit from the current period, not just GPU's but also CPU's and (maybe) Consoles, is a good argument to plough more money into R&D for RDNA3 (which they've already hinted they are doing/have done)

Associate
I had 7950 and now I have 1080, and I take radeon control panel any time.

Found nvidia panel outdated and lack of features . Like fan control or simple overclocking or monitoring.

If I had a choice I buy and card any day.

Soldato
The thread on the PC Gaming subreddit was celebrating it because AMD are "greedy" for setting prices anywhere near Nvidia's cards, and full of people saying they'd never buy AMD because of their "lower quality" and "driver issues". One highly-upvoted post said that AMD would have to provide better performance than Nvidia at half the price before they'd even consider buying an AMD card..

Thats reddit in a nutshell though full of dumb sheeple endlessly regurgitating the same circle jerking nonsense incapable of seeing beyond the end of their own noses/whatever the prevalent circle jerk is. Hive mindset and not just hardware the game modding subreddits are exactly the same.

Soldato
Simply comes down to stock. Nvidia is shipping 5 times as many GPU's as AMD can, so of course Nvdia's market will continue to grow.

But it is worth remembering that an nvidia owner upgrading to another nvidia card will NOT increase Nvidia market share. The fact that Nvidia's share is going up simply means that AMD owners are switching to Nvidia :D As has been mentioned, many people are so desperate they will buy whatever card is in stock and since Nvidia is shipping 80% of all manufactured desktop GPU's right now that inevitably means AMD owners looking for an upgrade end up buying Nvidia :p

Soldato
The thread on the PC Gaming subreddit was celebrating it because AMD are "greedy" for setting prices anywhere near Nvidia's cards, and full of people saying they'd never buy AMD because of their "lower quality" and "driver issues". One highly-upvoted post said that AMD would have to provide better performance than Nvidia at half the price before they'd even consider buying an AMD card.

That's the kind of mindshare they're up against. I think Nvidia have surpassed Apple in terms of the cult-like following they have. Nobody ever really liked Intel to begin with. There was just no other option.
Craziness, if the 6800XT had been available at MSRP I would have bought it. AMD did very well this time.

Associate
The thread on the PC Gaming subreddit was celebrating it because AMD are "greedy" for setting prices anywhere near Nvidia's cards, and full of people saying they'd never buy AMD because of their "lower quality" and "driver issues". One highly-upvoted post said that AMD would have to provide better performance than Nvidia at half the price before they'd even consider buying an AMD card.

That's the kind of mindshare they're up against. I think Nvidia have surpassed Apple in terms of the cult-like following they have. Nobody ever really liked Intel to begin with. There was just no other option.
In other words, they all want AMD to compete so they can buy GeForce cheaper.
Yet they don't see the simple flaw there since how can they compete of they never make any money from it? Do they expect competition only every console cycle when Microsoft and Sony have paid for a huge chunk of the R&D?

Soldato
Largely down to stock. Bare in mind these GPUs are produced on same fab as the CPUs and consoles SOCs. No doubt they have minimum quantity contracts with MS and Sony that are fairly rigid. After that need to crunch the numbers and may be numbers wise makes more sense to produce more CPUs. After that could focus on navi 22 GPUs. Seems they can pretty much make two of those chips for each navi 21 chip.

Caporegime
Largely down to stock. Bare in mind these GPUs are produced on same fab as the CPUs and consoles SOCs. No doubt they have minimum quantity contracts with MS and Sony that are fairly rigid. After that need to crunch the numbers and may be numbers wise makes more sense to produce more CPUs. After that could focus on navi 22 GPUs. Seems they can pretty much make two of those chips for each navi 21 chip.

Its likely that even less of 6800 series is reaching retail as both ms and sony asked amd to help with scaling up production more. So from the rumoured 70% of the production going to console it wouldn't surprise me if that was 80%+ at this stage.

Really just a perfect storm that screwed things up with covid, console release schedules and shortage of components across the board.

Soldato
Its likely that even less of 6800 series is reaching retail as both ms and sony asked amd to help with scaling up production more. So from the rumoured 70% of the production going to console it wouldn't surprise me if that was 80%+ at this stage.

Really just a perfect storm that screwed things up with covid, console release schedules and shortage of components across the board.

AMD needs to get to 5nm ASAP so it can leave consoles eating so much 7nm capacity while desktop gets 5nm - as long as consoles and desktop are 7nm there will be stock shortages for amd pc products

Associate
Of course AMD's market share is falling. You're going to lose market share when your GPU's aren't even available to buy anywhere. Getting 5 AMD 6000 cards a week at a Microcenter isn't going to do anything when Nvidia is delivering 100 cards a week.

Permabanned
If stock were there at M"S"RP I'd get maybe a 6700XT and then switch back for Hopper for RT proper or much closer to it, with a night/day better launch needless to say, otherwise I'll forget about RT another gen and keep the 6700XT or whatever I ******* get.

Back
Top Bottom