Persistent random restarts - Help!

Soldato
Im sorry if this has already been answered, but what about the infinity fabric, one of my MSI boards used to undervolt this and cause random restarts, no warning at all, just off and then reboot, try setting the CPU SoC/NB voltage manually to 1.100v, it wont hurt it, AMD actually recommend this voltage themselves, MSI bios doesnt work in offset mode, you get what you put in, so just type 1.100v into this setting and save & exit.

The fact that you are running 2x16gb sticks of ram makes the IF more of a suspicious candidate to me, it's harder on the memory controller, especially double sided modules, it's the same as running 4 single sided sticks.

Anyone will tell you when the IF is on the edge of stability, this is exactly how it behaves, and it would be at the craziest of times too, during gaming etc, when the CPU wants all the power it needs, the board would supply it, and everything would be fine, however, simple things like word processing, surfing the net, it would seem to crash and reboot, there could be 5 mins or even an hour between this happening.

Last edited:
Associate
I have exactly the same problem:
Hardware = X570-Tomahawk + R7 3800XT
Problem = Repated (3 to 6 times a day), kernel power 41 bsod events - always in light-use or idle (never under load)
Detail = Can be any number of error types displayed on the blue-screen, and event viewer might or might not have an assiciated 'windows' error at the same time.

I have had two different Tomahawks - first replaced via OCUK.
I have tried three different BIOS's (now using 1.5)
I have tried two different sets of memory (memtest86 finding no errors)
I have tried two different SSD's (as the first one sometimes had a trim 'windows' error associated with KP41)
I have tried two separate PSU's - first a Seasonic Premium platinum - and then bought a Seasonic Focus gold (yay!)
I have tried setting bios to Typical Current 'Idle' from what it was set at 'Auto'
I have done a half a dozen fresh Win10 64bit installs.

Always rolls through stress tests without a drop of sweat, breezes through gaming, but let it run idle and 'bam'.

No dice. Never have I had a PC that has given so much trouble, so little joy, and such a burning desire to throw the bloody thing out the window.
[edit] i have now swapped a 3600 back in.
so now have to wait and indefinite amount of time doing no particular activity, in the hope the that at at no point does it do the thing i don't want it to do.

**waits**

Last edited:
Associate
For reference - updates on the status outlined above:

09/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 24hrs idle running without a hitch!
> PC - despite all the changes listed above - hasn't been able to manage this in months (3-6 bsods daily if not gaming or running P95)

10/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 48hrs idle running without a hitch!
> aside from idle running - also still able to take load (OCCT Power test and gaming)

11/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 72hrs idle running without a hitch!
> next step is to put the 3800XT in the B550i board and see whether it is fine... or hates it too.

12/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 96hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT now running idle in my B550i media PC, let's see if it complains about the CPU...

13/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 120hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT now running idle in my B550i media PC - now done 24hrs idle running without a hitch!

14/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 144hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT now running idle in my B550i media PC - now done 48hrs idle running without a hitch!

15/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 168hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT now running idle in my B550i media PC - now done 72hrs idle running without a hitch!

16/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 192hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT now TURNING OFF when running idle in my B550i media PC - arse! had about five instances where B550i/3800XT PC just switches off shortly after loading up... :(

17/03/2021 - After swapping out 3800XT for 3600 - now done 216hrs idle running without a hitch!
> 3800XT seems to have the same problem on B550i as it did on X570 toma - even if it exhibits slightly differently: Happily ran under Prime95 all day long, just flakes out when idling.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

Found this thread from google and have very very similar issues.
So current setup is
3900x
Asus crosshair VIII X570
2x16Gb G.Skill Trident Z NEO DDR4 3600 Mhz
Corsair 2TB Force MP600 (installed in primary CPU m.2 slot)
EVGA 3080
Corsair 750W HX750i

My issues started after I upgraded to this MP600 and re-installed win10.
Memory and mobo had been use about 6 months using XMP profile without issues then win10 was installed on PCI-e 3.0 Nvme drive that was installed on the secondary slot.

After this windows re-install and using same XMP profile @ 3600 on memories had these light workload / idle crashes. Crashes are hard crashes where I hear the click from PSU similar when shutting down PC.

Did some experiments and updated BIOS to news version and kept it on defaults. No issues using BIOS on "optimized defaults"
Changed memory to XMP and issues started again.

Planning to move the MP600 to the secondary m.2 slot that is driven through the chipset and not CPU as reading your conclusions I am thinking it is voltage issue.
Will let you know once I move the ssd what are the results.

Associate
Also try disabling PCIE v4.

Assuming the m.2 "link state" setting in BIOS does this tried to set it GEN 3 but issues were actually worse, not sure if I had memory XMP enabled then, but it even crashed in BIOS and was lucky to get optimized defaults loaded :)

UPDATE: tried switching MP600 to secondary slot -> enabling XMP = almost immediate crash on desktop.
Did slight modification on the XMP profile where dropped speed to 3200 ,FCL clock to 1600 and voltage to 1,30 from 1,35. Currently stable for whole 30mins :)

Last edited:
Associate
If the problem is the same as that experienced by me then it would seem to be the M/B objecting to the CPU.

What is yet to be determined is whether this indicates a fault with the CPU, or the M/B being allergic to this particular CPU...

Updates reecorded above.

Associate
Yeah, would tend to agree Peegee.

System is now stable with 3200 @ 1,30V for memory. After the updating to latest ASUS BIOS version 3204 issue seems more radical and it crashes almost instantly if it crashes so something changed there. At least it makes it easier to diagnose, no need to wait around for days :)
Will continue to experiment and update here if anything improves.

Been hoping to update to 5900X at some point anyways, once I can get one, but seems a expensive trial if issues persists with that too.

Associate
I had random blue screens and failures with my 5600X, build.

Got new Corsair PSU, random restarts began from day one....Anyway, Corsair RAM two months old was also faulty, ran Memtest86 after random no reason bluescreens and so many errors at stock....Sent RAM back and voila, no bluescreens with a new Seasonic PSU as well. Seasonic Focus GX 750 Gold.

Associate
It is looking like the X570 Tomahawk just doesn't like my 3800XT.

X570 tomahawk system running great for 6 days now using the R5 3600, and B550i board running great for two days now running that same R7 3800XT:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34618706

3800XT now TURNING OFF when running idle in my B550i media PC.
arse! had about five instances where B550i/3800XT PC just switches off shortly after loading up...
perhaps it is just a duff 3800XT, but funny how it seems fine to bed in fine to a new board before deciding to crap out?

n.b. i have installed ryzen master yesterday, so i could run the CPU in eco mode...
...since a loud 100w eight core seemed overkill for a media pc

Last edited:
Associate
My pleasure.

Ryzen Master on eco mode did not help, just made the switch-offs quicker.
So i ran the system all day long on Prime95 yesterday without a hitch, until i pulled the mouse out the system when it immediately dropped into hybernate mode.
I say hybernate rather than switched off, because pressing the power button on this B550i system afterwards the system attempts to come back up without display.
Hard reset and power cycle sets things back to normal.

So, this board exhibits the problem differently (unrecoverable hybernate rather than bsod), but both seem to be fine under load and flakey under idle conditions.

It is looking like a flakey CPU.

Associate
Long story short - received an email today in reply to my RMA of the 3800XT asking whether I would like a refund or a replacement.

So, if you are stuck with a Ryzen2 CPU that runs fine under load and yet seems frustratingly unreliable under IDLE, then you are not alone.

Just remember to stress the 'idle' part - after sending it back with a full description I received an initial reply three says later saying the following:

Them - "Good afternoon, My colleagues have inspected/tested the returned CPU and it has passed without fault. Please can you provide a return address?"

Me - "Did your colleagues simply test it under load conditions, or did they leave it under idle?" **resends full description of IDLE problem**

Them - "Good morning, Thank you for your email. My colleagues will have had this on stress test. I can ask them to leave this idle over the weekend to see if the unit fails and we can go from there if that is okay?"

Me - **eight days later** "I guess the testing presented problems?"

Them - "Good afternoon, Thank you for your email. Please can you confirm if you would prefer a refund or replacement."

To be fair, they've been great and it was an awkward problem to demonstrate, but it goes to show that CPU's aren't always in a completely-fine/totally-broken condition.

Back
Top Bottom