iRacing

Soldato
I did briefly try the AMG/Merc GT3 around Bathhurst a bit ago, didn't seem too bad but still lacking in a bit of feel, that was just on the baseline setup though and only a handful of laps so not really a useful metric. I think I saw they're doing 20 min races?, might be tempted for the lols/carnage occasionally...

Soldato
I did briefly try the AMG/Merc GT3 around Bathhurst a bit ago, didn't seem too bad but still lacking in a bit of feel, that was just on the baseline setup though and only a handful of laps so not really a useful metric. I think I saw they're doing 20 min races?, might be tempted for the lols/carnage occasionally...

All the GT3s got a tyre upgrade start of this season, was just before Christmas I think, they allow a lot more slip angle now and you can actually recover when the back end steps out. The AMG is a bit broken at the moment, it has a problem with the rear diff, it's slow and prone to back end coming round so not many people run it. VRS, which is all the GT3s, is 40 min races, IMSA which just has Lambo + BMW (+ GTE/LMP2 ) are 45 minutes. There's a fixed ferrari gt3 race, with 15 races. The baseline setups while slowly getting better are still crap, I think each setting is just RNG lol

Soldato
A friend of mine loves iRacing and has tried to get me to like it over the past year by inviting me to races in various combos. Recently he has asked me to join his team for an upcoming endurance race with GT3 cars. He and I autocross together and the rest of the team are autocrossers as well.

When he sent me the setup and I tried it out, I was ~15 seconds off his pace on an 8-minute track.

When we compete with each other in real cars, we each win some and lose some, but neither of us ever put much of a gap on the other. I chalked it up to iRacing being far more difficult than driving real cars at the limit and me being too lazy to re-learn driving just for iRacing (although I have never driven a real GT3 car, the two Miatas I tried in iRacing were more hateful than any of the countless real Miatas I have driven)

He was shocked at the difference in pace. He stays at my house for our local events, and when he was here this past weekend, I asked him to see if he could show me what I was doing wrong.

He drove for a few minutes, exited back to the pits and said "I see why you hate iRacing. Have all the cars been this hard to drive?"

Well, yes. Yes they have.

We spent hours trying to get the GT3 car that drives so well for him in his rig to stop being such a pushy pig in my rig. (Still not there yet)

My hardware works well with AMS2, rFactor2, and PC2, but something is apperantly off for my install of iRacing.

FWIW, the iRacing GT3 turns better than the GT3 cars in ACC, but still won't turn-in without slowing waaaayyyy down, and almost any attempt at slight throttle application results in a precipitous end to any turning that may have been happening up to that point. -and downshifting too soon upsets the car instantly produces an unrecoverable death spiral.

I'm hopeful that I may be able to add iRacing to the sims I enjoy spending time in once I get this issue figured out.

Soldato
Sounds weird, did/do you have any idea what's going on? What's your setup?

Fanatech 1.1 wheel base and V3 pedals. We are looking at differences between ini files. The next time we do a local in about a month, he's bringing his PC and we'll plug my stuff into it and see if it's software related. (If I haven't figured it out by then)

I use Reverb G1 and he uses index. I sometimes get a double-vision effect that I can mostly fix with software IPD settings that are different than what I use for everything else. Maybe the depth/speed perception is all wrong due to some visual issue. Most of the people we have talked to suspect brake setup issues. May be a combination of little stuff.

Soldato
Fair enough, be interesting to hear what you find...

I'm on a good 'ol basic Logitech G25, a classic these days :p, and single monitor the works... I did/do have an OG Vive, but not really the grunt to run it as well as I'd like... But no problems here, well, other than me :D

Associate
Ouch on the IR, I kinda feel the same GT3's, got a couple but they just feel a bit numb/lifeless, never sure whether I just need to drive them more... I'm guessing you think the GT4's are pretty good then, other than the IR? :p

yeah i got to 2000 irating for the first time and then fell apart after that haha! Not too concerned really because the racing on the most part has been fun and fair in my splits. GT4 Cayman is actually pretty good and its been a good series to find some race craft in again.

Soldato
So I was reading the forums last night and saw some discussion on the Cayman apparently being better so thought I'd give it a go, seems I own it already cause why not obviously :p So jumped in Sebring and just did a handful of laps with the baseline setup as-is, felt pretty good actually, definitely driveable, I'd like a bit less understeer but I'd assume that's doable with setup... I did a low 2:14, which I expect is way off the pace but pretty sure I could improve that with time and tweaking the setup, it could be fun though...

That and I see there's an endurance series in it with 4-6 hour races that can be done solo, the crazy in me is tempted :D

Soldato
So I was reading the forums last night and saw some discussion on the Cayman apparently being better so thought I'd give it a go, seems I own it already cause why not obviously :p So jumped in Sebring and just did a handful of laps with the baseline setup as-is, felt pretty good actually, definitely driveable, I'd like a bit less understeer but I'd assume that's doable with setup... I did a low 2:14, which I expect is way off the pace but pretty sure I could improve that with time and tweaking the setup, it could be fun though...

That and I see there's an endurance series in it with 4-6 hour races that can be done solo, the crazy in me is tempted :D

NLS/VLN? Not sure I would fancy lapping the Nordschleife for 6 hours... :p

New rumours are the McLaren 570s GT4 coming soon as well.
Someone on reddit managed to accidently download the paint template for it :D

Last edited:
Soldato
NLS/VLN? Not sure I would fancy lapping the Nordschleife for 6 hours... :p

New rumours are the McLaren 570s GT3 coming soon as well.
Someone on reddit managed to accidently download the paint template for it :D

Think they've named it "Nurburgring Endurance Series" this time, but yeah that one :D As I said, crazy :p

I've not actually raced the Nordschleife 'in anger', I remember spending months trying to learn it properly in Grand Prix Legends way back in the day... Not sure 6 hour races is the best starting point for that but it's all good...

Oh yay, another GT3 car :p How many more can there be? Is there still a limit of car 'types' per session (like 8 or something?) will they need to lift that just to make all the GT3 cars eligible for one series? :D

Soldato
Think they've named it "Nurburgring Endurance Series" this time, but yeah that one :D As I said, crazy :p

I've not actually raced the Nordschleife 'in anger', I remember spending months trying to learn it properly in Grand Prix Legends way back in the day... Not sure 6 hour races is the best starting point for that but it's all good...

Oh yay, another GT3 car :p How many more can there be? Is there still a limit of car 'types' per session (like 8 or something?) will they need to lift that just to make all the GT3 cars eligible for one series? :D

Mistype from me it's actually the a GT4 not 3. I did VLN in TCR last year, it was good fun, this is no other track like Nords but I'm not going to do it this year. Focusing on other things.

Soldato
Ah right, same thing :p

Still really undecided on what to do, may just end up floating around doing whatever takes my fancy, but feel like that'll end up drifting to the comfort zone of the Skippy... It'd be nice to expand my horizons a bit...

Associate
Absolutely love Hockenheim, going to be a lot of fun racing this in various different series.

Great video, Hockenheim looks beautiful in iRacing.

I'm a new iRacing player, it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. I am a Class C driver and going into the new season I'm sat here trying to decide what to drive. So far I've narrowed it down to sticking with the MX-5 and either going Sim-Lab series or Advanced MX-5. The other option is to buy the McLaren 570S GT4 and going into IMSA Michelin Pilot series.

Watching your video kinda makes me want to consider the Skippy too, I'm torn. I do love driving the Mazda to be fair so I don't mind sticking around that car for a season or two. But the GT4 (and now Skippy) are attractive too!

This will be the first time I'll be dropping money on iRacing content, I'll probably buy 12 pieces of it to get the 15% discount twice, most probably 1 car and 11 tracks.

I will need to decide soon! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Soldato
I've been struggling with getting used to Hockenheim, been running the Week13 fun series there in the Cayman, trying to get used to both a new car and a new track may not be the best idea :p Still, had some good races though :)

Can definitely reccomend the Skippy, but I'm leaning towards running the Porsche Cayman in the IMSA Michelin Pilot series, would be tempted by the McLaren but also thinking of the Nurburgring Endurance series as well so seems to make sense to get familiar with the Cayman...

Associate
I've been struggling with getting used to Hockenheim, been running the Week13 fun series there in the Cayman, trying to get used to both a new car and a new track may not be the best idea :p Still, had some good races though :)

Can definitely reccomend the Skippy, but I'm leaning towards running the Porsche Cayman in the IMSA Michelin Pilot series, would be tempted by the McLaren but also thinking of the Nurburgring Endurance series as well so seems to make sense to get familiar with the Cayman...
Interesting! But wait, looking at the season 13 schedule right now and I don't see the Nurburgring Endurance series.

Associate
Don't think it's on the usual schedule because it crosses multiple seasons, there's a thread on the forum: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3796005.page

Thinking about it, as you like the MX-5, that's another of the car options... If you really want to spend 4 hours lapping the Nordschleife in that thing... :p
I think the Advanced MX-5 series has Nordschleife on the calendar anyway, which I find interesting to say the least. Just checked, yep, it's on there. To me it doesn't make sense.

I'll look into the Cayman. The M4 GT4 is out of question for me because I hate driving front engined cars in general. But the Cayman and the 570S are really tempting but I will only be getting one of them as I want to make sure I buy more tracks than anything.

Soldato
Thinking about it, as you like the MX-5, that's another of the car options... If you really want to spend 4 hours lapping the Nordschleife in that thing... :p

I did a couple of years ago. Solo. :D

I'll look into the Cayman. The M4 GT4 is out of question for me because I hate driving front engined cars in general. But the Cayman and the 570S are really tempting but I will only be getting one of them as I want to make sure I buy more tracks than anything.

570S won't be getting added to not-VLN/NES. They've hit the car limit, so it's Cayman, Cayman or Cayman for that series in the GT4 class.

Associate
I did a couple of years ago. Solo. :D

570S won't be getting added to not-VLN/NES. They've hit the car limit, so it's Cayman, Cayman or Cayman for that series in the GT4 class.
Hmmm, that might just swing it. How do you like the Cayman? And this question goes out to others too? From some quick digging on the iRacing forums I see a lot of people really like the 570S, good over kerbs and nicely balanced. Cayman is apparently a bit of a pig over curbs? I'll do some more research still but I'll happily listen to your pointers.

Back
Top Bottom