Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
***This thread is intended to be for discussion of the trial (and aspects of the incident, people involved relevant to the trial), it's not intended to be about any previous or future protests/civil unrest or broader discussions of other incidents involving US police forces.***

The trial is starting today - or at least the jury selection aspect, apparently the prosecution can object to up to 9 jurers and the defence up to 15.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder (originally he was charged with third-degree murder by a local prosecutor then the charge was upgraded when the state AG took over) and second-degree manslaughter. There are arguments, perhaps to be steeled today re: whether a third-degree murder charge can also apply too.

Obviously, this is a highly publicised case and there are arguments that he can't get a fair trial locally, so possibly the trial could be moved too - though so far the judge seems to have said that the same applies anywhere in the US, it's hard to have escaped this incident.

The trial will be televised, this is going to be bigger than the OJ Simpson trial potentially. the prosecution had objected to this but the judge is allowing it. I do wonder if the person who performed the autopsy will get a bit of flack as his evidence is going to be pretty key here.

IMO, if it wasn't for the fact this is so political with all the coverage and resources are thrown at it, I'd be quite skeptical about the prospects of a conviction - but... it looks like Chauvin was worried enough that he was prepared to accept a plea deal with 10 years in prison and 3rd-degree murder! But that was rejected.

Key bit of reporting that has often been missed in the press coverage is the drugs issue and the fact that Floyd had breathing difficulties before he was even put on the floor - was already saying "I can't breathe" when in the police car. On the other hand, Chauvin does hear from Floyd himself that he's having difficulties specifically with the knee on his neck - that could be the bit of dialogue that caused the charges to be upgraded to 2nd-degree murder. To complicate things though, the knee on the neck is covered in their police dept training manual.

Recent BBC article, doesn't mention the drugs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56270334

Washington post article, but more detailed/thorough:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/07/derek-chauvin-trial-george-floyd/

Soldato
Hoping that it stays sane, the facts presented, no circus and with justice seen to be done. They cannot mess this up. Not holding out much hope.

This country isn't much better, look at these two recent incidents, one wasn't even police:

Kevin Clarke

Jack Barnes

Horrible ways to go, very young and probably very avoidable. RIP.

Soldato
Are you telling me that this person had always told the truth and had not tried to resist the police and that people do not lie when being arrested?

No, he’s pointing out that it clearly couldn’t of been a lie and you are an idiot for pretending it could have been, based on the fact, that he.... died.

Soldato
Are you telling me that this person had always told the truth and had not tried to resist the police and that people do not lie when being arrested?

What are you thinking he died from if not an inability to breath, given you seem confident he may have lied about that?

Caporegime
What are you thinking he died from if not an inability to breath, given you seem confident he may have lied about that?

I didnt say he did lie, I'm asking as a policeman do you simply trust everything someone says, even if they tried to fight you moments before?

I mean he says I can't breath, you ease up he jumps up and runs away/fights you again.

Are you saying this is not a possibility that could have occurred and that has occurred many times, where a suspect has been apprehended and lies about an ailment to try and escape?

Soldato
I didnt say he did lie, I'm asking as a policeman do you simply trust everything someone says, even if they tried to fight you moments before?

I mean he says I can't breath, you ease up he jumps up and runs away/fights you again.

Are you saying this is not a possibility that could have occurred and that has occurred many times, where a suspect has been apprehended and lies about an ailment to try and escape?

As a policeman you don’t restrain someone by strangling them to death. Happy to help clear that one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom