Redesigning a kitchen - how?

Associate
Hi all

We want to change our kitchen - it really is not built well/ has terrible space utilisation. However I have no idea where to start with this/ who I need to contact/ roughly how much it might cost.

The below will of course change depending on price (whether we do it all) but what we essentially need is:

- a small wall knocked down
- we have plenty of existing cupboards that can be reused
- moving/ removing a radiator
- moving a oven
- installation of a new electric hob and removal of the old gas one
- building a island (can we repurpose existing cupboard for this)?
- changing the single garden door to a double door and knocking out the wall to make room for this

Who should I be contacting to get a quote? Is it a builder, kitchen company or both?

Also if anyone knows roughly how much this would cost that would be helpful. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty if needed too.

Thanks

Soldato
I'd start with finding a local independent, reputable kitchen company who I'd expect to subcontract all the necessary tradesmen they don't have in house - brickie, electrics, plumber, plasterer etc and "manage" the project.
As far as cost - well, whatever you're guesstimating add at least 50% ;)

Soldato
I'd start with finding a local independent, reputable kitchen company who I'd expect to subcontract all the necessary tradesmen they don't have in house - brickie, electrics, plumber, plasterer etc and "manage" the project.
As far as cost - well, whatever you're guesstimating add at least 50% ;)

Absolutely this. The high street names are usually expensive and whilst are often good quality, don’t have the range or flexibility with projects. No reason not to get a range of companies out to quote though.

This will be expensive and reusing cabinets might be challenging, but all the more reason for getting an independent out to assess.

Where are you based? People might have recommendations. Speak to your neighbours to see if they know anyone good (or bad!!).

Soldato
This depends on the manufacturer of your current kitchen. If you want to reconfigure it then you may need to use the same brand to get a match otherwise this isn't always an easy task. In theory cabinet fronts and cabinets seem like they should be interchangeable between brands but this isn't always the case.

Do you know who the manufacturer is?

I like Howdens, have used them on trade terms for a long time, never had any problems. Lots of local depots and supply always available. Their design teams are good too.

They have a good network of local installers / builders and you can contact your local depot, explain the project inc building work and they will give you the contacts inc builders.

https://www.howdens.com/help-and-advice/buying-from-us/how-to-buy

Other options are to find a local independent joinery, if you have one. You will also have smaller independent kitchen showrooms and fitters who are also worth trying.

If you find a good and sensibly priced builder then they can manage the whole project.

It's easy to rack up costs and work like swapping gas for electric where you will need a new spur off your RCD can be quite involved assuming there is no hob circuit already.

Overall, I would find a builder to manage this. You could manage all the individual trades yourself but from your opening post, I would take this route.

I think reconfiguring the kitchen and using existing units could bump the pricing disproportionately unless you can get the same manufacturer matching units/fronts. Not all manufacturers make this easy or possible.

Permabanned
Well that all sounds expensive.

It seems strange that you would go to such expense and re-use kitchen cupboards.

Your first step would be to seek the advice of a builder to sort out an order in which you can do things, and whether everything is practical / cost effective.

You can approach this as one job or a series of jobs. You could, for example, remove the wall and enlarge/fit the new door first, then move the radiator, and so on. Basically it is done in the order of the most messy/disruptive first.

kai

kai

Soldato
This will be dependent on your budget and a little left field. However, we are just completing a project on our living room. We will be doing the exact same thing for our kitchen renovation later this year.

We used a website called Design For Me. They match you with the right architect or designer for your home renovation project. For our living room, i posted photos and interior designers bid for the project. I conducted 3 interviews with different people i liked based on their portfolio. Following consultations, via Zoom due to Covid they sourced pretty much everything and an entire shopping list with 3D Designs, down to artwork and discounted items due to them being in the trade.

They have an area for kitchen designers and architects who specialize in Kitchen renovation. It's nice because you do not get an off the shelf design from retailers. They actually look at the space and make it work for you based on your requirements. You could also just get the designs and CAD work from the designer and take it to any retailer i.e. Howdens and have them cost it up based on the exact design.

https://www.houzz.co.uk/ do something very similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom