Failures of West in Eastern Europe

Permabanned
What do you expect should happen exactly? I'm curious to know how you'd deal with Bulgaria.

Closer integration and common laws across all member states - influence from Brussels for a system restart there and more social policies to be implemented.

Do you remember the scandals at the Bulgaria - England football qualifier?
It's not good.

Caporegime
Homogenised law is already a requirement for membership, the problem is when those laws conveniently disappear after accession. Any action by the EU will inevitably be seen as an overreach of it's competence and fuel more discordance among member states, the only solution for that is unanimous (minus Bulgaria obviously) approval for action... something I doubt can ever happen unless the Visegrad Four agree which have their own compliance problems.

Looks like a paradox to me, which is why I think the EU (eminent member states) would rather ignore it until it's plainly obvious that action is required and the diplomatic cost of defending Bulgaria is too high. I can't say I envy anyone in this situation, least of all Bulgarians.

Can't say that i'm keeping up with anything on the continent nowadays, not really the UK's problem anymore.

Permabanned
OP
I just wanted to add to my OP since the thread has been revived. The idea of my OP is that we're losing the Cold War 2.0. At this rate we're going to follow USSR collapse but on our soil.

We're playing right into Putins hands, he has projects spanning decades meanwhile we in west obsessed with next election or next quarter. Completely oblivious because we only think short term.

Even things like Nord Stream 2 has done more damage to US/German/EU relations than anything else. The pipe already played out putins game and goals, without pumping a single unit of gas. Germans buying russian gas geopolitically would almost mean nothing, they have been doing since height of cold war. If anything it allowed for more leverage over putin. Due to short term goals of US, all we did is cause major divisions and oppened up wounds in Germany/US relations - so much so that it has sunken to lowest level since ww2.

Short term goal of being able to sell Germans US tanker gas, caused major rift in relations which will cause billions/trillions worth of damage in future.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think Poland and Hungary are intensely trolling the EU and the very idea why it exists :o :rolleyes:

Hungary and Poland on Monday (16 November) blocked the adoption of the €1.8 trillion new long-term EU budget and the coronavirus recovery package, in their dispute over linking EU funds to the respect of rule of law.
At an EU ambassadors' meeting, the two countries blocked a key step in the process, the adoption of the EU's so-called "own resources" legislation, which sets out the revenue the bloc itself can raise.

https://euobserver.com/political/150089

I have a great idea. The UK to establish its own Union and take these with it.

Please!

Permabanned
Some good news.

The Biden administration helps.

Senators: Corruption threatens US-Bulgarian relations

"Corruption and a lack of media freedom in Bulgaria are “serious challenges to the US-Bulgaria bilateral relationship,” according to a joint statement by US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez (Democrat) and Jim Rich, one of the committee’s senior Republicans.

“The persistent corruption, declining media freedom, politicisation of the judiciary, and other threats to the rule of law pose serious challenges to the US-Bulgaria bilateral relationship,” read the joint statement.

The senators also highlighted that Bulgaria fairs worst among EU countries in Transparency International’s corruption index, as well as under the media freedom index published by Reporters Without Borders.

“The Bulgarian government and judiciary must work to uphold the rule of law for all, not just some, and the media must have the freedom to report the truth without facing harassment, violence, or punishment,” the senators said.

They commented that for eight months the citizens of Bulgaria have called for protests demanding an end to corruption, the rule of law and respect for democratic values. The US embassy in Sofia also backed the protests last summer.

The ruling GERB party suspects that the position of the two senators is the result of lobbying. Prime Minister and GERB leader Boyko Borissov did not comment, nor did he oppose his party’s position.

Georg Georgiev (GERB) tried to align the position of the senators with the visit of Republicans for Bulgaria party leader Tsvetan Tsvetanov to the US."
Senators: Corruption threatens US-Bulgarian relations – EURACTIV.com

Senators Warn U.S.-Bulgarian Relationship Faces 'Serious Challenges' As Sofia Prepares For Elections
Senators Warn U.S.-Bulgarian Relationship Faces 'Serious Challenges' As Sofia Prepares For Elections (rferl.org)

Next step is airstrikes :) The people will welcome them!

Permabanned
Has anyone watched Bald and Bankrupt on youtube? He's done the Soviet touring holiday, it's a very bleek watch, All the locals say they miss the USSR

Planned economy is always better than market economy.

The prices were extremely low back then. So low, for example a full meal for lunch was something like pennies, while today the same costs hundreds of pennies.
People were able to build houses for cheap - try today to build a house with your average wage. Never gonna make it.

Permabanned
hmmm, Go have a watch of it, It was more Russia was funding everything, then the money stopped coming sort of thing.

The money stopped coming because all the economies in the Eastern bloc were tied to each other and when in 1989, the likes of Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria turned their economies to the West, the USSR economy which relied on the foreign imports simply stopped. That blocked the USSR economy.

Permabanned
Next step is airstrikes :) The people will welcome them!

I didn't understand - what do you think?

Will the U.S and UK somehow try to help by launching airstrikes against the naughty, corrupted, authoritarian regimes in South-East Europe?

Back in the 2000, NATO launched such airstrikes against Belgrade, and some bombs even reached the outskirts of Sofia.

Man of Honour
I didn't understand - what do you think?

Will the U.S and UK somehow try to help by launching airstrikes against the naughty, corrupted, authoritarian regimes in South-East Europe?

Back in the 2000, NATO launched such airstrikes against Belgrade, and some bombs even reached the outskirts of Sofia.

Are the naughty, corrupted, authoritarian regimes involved in ethnic cleansing or other mass civilian culling?

Permabanned
Are the naughty, corrupted, authoritarian regimes involved in ethnic cleansing or other mass civilian culling?

Well, indirectly yes. Specifically, for the Bulgarians - down from 9 million people in 1990 to only less than 6.9 million today, while the Romani ethnic group gets serious social benefits for having children.
This policy effectively changes the gene pool of the nation and there are forecasts that by 2050, the Bulgarian governments will become dominated by Romani people.

Keep in mind, that this is a Slavic country, and the Romani are completely different. They are "similar" to the native Americans in Canada, U.S and Mexico.

What about the killed journalists? Who will return them to life and who will get imprisoned for their murders?
What about the media freedoms?

What about the children? Should all of them migrate to better lands?

Caporegime
Well, indirectly yes. Specifically, for the Bulgarians - down from 9 million people in 1990 to only less than 6.9 million today, while the Romani ethnic group gets serious social benefits for having children.
This policy effectively changes the gene pool of the nation and there are forecasts that by 2050, the Bulgarian governments will become dominated by Romani people.

Keep in mind, that this is a Slavic country, and the Romani are completely different. They are "similar" to the native Americans in Canada, U.S and Mexico.

What about the killed journalists? Who will return them to life and who will get imprisoned for their murders?
What about the media freedoms?

What about the children? Should all of them migrate to better lands?

Isn't that what happening here in the UK too?

Screenshot-20210310-075626-Drive.jpg

Permabanned
As long as they have dab+ things will be reet :p.

Err, no media freedoms, and consolidation of the ownership of the stations in the hands of two or three oligarchs connected to the government, means no DAB+.
There is no free competition in the market. These two or three groups completely control the media market and profits there.
Which means the doors are closed for entrepreneurships and new start-ups.

Generally speaking, there is almost no modernisation, except the very good internet speeds.

Back
Top Bottom