Census 2021

Soldato
Done mine, nothing on it I didn't really expect to see, as others have said only real issue I can see with it is the fact that so many people will be putting they work from home and don't commute, which could have an affect on public transport when everyone does start commuting again.

The other thing I didn't do was a stupid religion - I am not religious at all, so didn't pick Jedi or Sith to be "clever"

Soldato
When I was born in the sixties gender meant the same thing as sex :confused:

I hate to break it to you, but some things have changed over the last 60 years.

The other thing I didn't do was a stupid religion - I am not religious at all, so didn't pick Jedi or Sith to be "clever"

The way you answer these is important though, there shouldn't be much thought about it. I chose Atheist whereas my OH chose None. Same as the difference between British and English; no difference in reality, but how you define your nationality when asked is interesting nonetheless.

The statisticians must hate Jedi etc because it's basically "None" but a semi-void/spoiled vote.

Soldato
I hate to break it to you, but some things have changed over the last 60 years.

The way you answer these is important though, there shouldn't be much thought about it. I chose Atheist whereas my OH chose None. Same as the difference between British and English; no difference in reality, but how you define your nationality when asked is interesting nonetheless.

Actually that hasn't, just like we still have two legs as a species

None is the correct answer to the religion question.
A Dave Allen joke.

Pope to atheist: You are like a man in a dark room with a blindfold on looking for a black cat that isn't there
Atheist to Pope: You also are like a man in a dark room with a blindfold on looking for a black cat that isnt there. The only difference is that you have found it.

Soldato
Actually that hasn't, just like we still have two legs as a species

None is the correct answer to the religion question.
A Dave Allen joke.

Pope to atheist: You are like a man in a dark room with a blindfold on looking for a black cat that isn't there
Atheist to Pope: You also are like a man in a dark room with a blindfold on looking for a black cat that isnt there. The only difference is that you have found it.

Why does atheist have a definition if it's the same as none? Maybe you just don't know what atheism is?

Your leg analogy is hilarious. Pretty sure there's a disability question in there, though I can't remember for sure as I don't have one so I would have flown past it. But just because someone is born with 2 legs, then you don't care/want to know if that's still the case?

Soldato
Why does atheist have a definition if it's the same as none? Maybe you just don't know what atheism is?

Your leg analogy is hilarious. Pretty sure there's a disability question in there, though I can't remember for sure as I don't have one so I would have flown past it. But just because someone is born with 2 legs, then you don't care/want to know if that's still the case?
Atheism is not the same as none, it is a belief that there is no god, but to prove that you keep on looking. None means that you have no religious beliefs for or against. It takes up no time in your life.

The leg analogy is valid as humans are defined as bipeds (as opposed to quadriped or other). A very small number are born with one or none but these exceptions do not disprove the rule.

Soldato
The leg analogy is valid as humans are defined as bipeds (as opposed to quadriped or other). A very small number are born with one or none but these exceptions do not disprove the rule.

I'm not disagreeing with that. And I presume you condone of there being a question about disabilities?

So why are you so against a question about gender?

Soldato
I don't get it. Atheism and No Religion are the same thing?

I think in modern terms, the difference here is Atheism is considered to be the more narrow definition of holding the position 'there are no gods' whereas No Religion is more like 'don't know, don't care, not interested in the topic, leave me alone'

Part of the interest in the results though is no doubt looking at the trends of how many people identify with particular terms too.

Soldato
I'm not disagreeing with that. And I presume you condone of there being a question about disabilities?

So why are you so against a question about gender?
Personally I am not. It is like homosexuality was raised as a question, probably in the eighties I haven't checked, to ensure that numbers were available and any provisions made in budgets etc. The same is applicable here. It is a national snapshot. I was a bit amused at a complainer about his workplace being a personal question though. One does wonder what he does. ;)

If people want more than two genders who am I to criticise.

Permabanned
I think in modern terms, the difference here is Atheism is considered to be the more narrow definition of holding the position 'there are no gods' whereas No Religion is more like 'don't know, don't care, not interested in the topic, leave me alone'

Part of the interest in the results though is no doubt looking at the trends of how many people identify with particular terms too.
ty That's a nice clear way of writing it. The census would be more accurate if worded like that.

Man of Honour
See post #81 and you will get the gist :D Thank you for pointing out my spelling mistake btw.

As a self employed London taxi driver, I could only put “driving a taxi” as nature of the job, I almost put “duh”, but thought better of it.
It asked for the name of my wife’s employer, e.g. BP oil, but not the address.
Thanks for taking my advice in good part, I meant no harm :)

Associate
Atheism is not the same as none, it is a belief that there is no god, but to prove that you keep on looking. None means that you have no religious beliefs for or against. It takes up no time in your life.

Atheism is a rejection in the belief of gods, this doesn't mean you believe there are no gods.

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system.
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Source: https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/about-atheism/

Back
Top Bottom