*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
NVidia drivers didn't do anything, but it seems to be the G2 doesn't like being cold. It had been getting a bit of a draft from a slightly open window and the ghost slowly resolved itself over the course of about 10 minutes. I'm nearly convinced though the SDE is definitely worse all of a sudden. Almost like I've got a different headset. It MUST just be me though over scrutinising it.. right?

Associate
Did you get hit with any nasty extras?

I'm thinking about ordering some
Been waiting for the order to progress. Currently they're waiting for the lenses from Zeiss. So a will be a while before I get them shipped.
I am expecting no VAT to pay or hidden charges. This is because the item price is less than £135. Which means you pay the VAT to the seller up front and they pass it on for you. Therefore there should be no import handling fees either, for adding the VAT.
Will keep you updated.

Soldato
NVidia drivers didn't do anything, but it seems to be the G2 doesn't like being cold. It had been getting a bit of a draft from a slightly open window and the ghost slowly resolved itself over the course of about 10 minutes. I'm nearly convinced though the SDE is definitely worse all of a sudden. Almost like I've got a different headset. It MUST just be me though over scrutinising it.. right?

You are correct, the panels don’t function properly until they warm up... when cold they’ll exhibit quite bad smearing.

it’s generally not a bad idea to leave it plugged in for a while before you use it - it’ll warm up the headset and help stop it steaming up too.

It isn’t realistically possible for the SDE to change, that is an effect of the dead space between pixels and is a fixed physical constant. I can observe SDE if I look really hard for it in the right conditions, so I think you may just be over scrutinising as you say.

Associate
Been waiting for the order to progress. Currently they're waiting for the lenses from Zeiss. So a will be a while before I get them shipped.
I am expecting no VAT to pay or hidden charges. This is because the item price is less than £135. Which means you pay the VAT to the seller up front and they pass it on for you. Therefore there should be no import handling fees either, for adding the VAT.
Will keep you updated.

Ok,cheers for that. Much appreciated

Associate
Just had an email from System Active. They're getting some stock in next week. And doing pre-orders on their site from 8pm today. Expect the site to go down lol.
Still waiting for my order from HP. Estimated delivery of 23/03 at the moment....

Associate
If anyone is still looking to buy a HP G2. I've just had an email from SystemActive stating they are having a limited number of G2's arrive next week and they will be taking orders from 8PM tonight from their website. I can't share the URL details due to the forum rules about competitors. They have said they have many more people who have subscribed to have interest than the number of G2;s they are going to receive. I have mine so thought I'd let you all know.

Associate
Seems like systemactive site is taking a battering, site won't load.

It's like the GPU situation all over again. :)

Just had another email from Systemactive, even their staff can't get onto the site to open it up so that people can buy the G2's. Show's how many people want these headsets and probably shows how many bots are hitting the site to try to get them so that people can then sell them at higher prices on ebya.

Associate
I think all of these companies should move to a lottery type system, including Overclockers when they release sort after graphic cards/cpu. Open a window of say 2 hours where people can register their want of the product. Then randomly sort those orders into a sequence, then ask people to pay for their order once they know where in the sequence they are. It would also give time for the sellers to find bots/scalpers etc before taking payments. This mad rush for orders is crashing so many internet shops at the moment

Associate
You are correct, the panels don’t function properly until they warm up... when cold they’ll exhibit quite bad smearing.

it’s generally not a bad idea to leave it plugged in for a while before you use it - it’ll warm up the headset and help stop it steaming up too.

It isn’t realistically possible for the SDE to change, that is an effect of the dead space between pixels and is a fixed physical constant. I can observe SDE if I look really hard for it in the right conditions, so I think you may just be over scrutinising as you say.

Cheers for that.. might start doing as you say then and switch it on a good bit before. I'm intrigued to know how/why that happens technically so I'm gonna go do some reading. A rebuild is still on the cards, getting all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff going on now that only a Microsoft OS could ever deliver. Powering on the headset is a good example.. the explorer.exe process even dies as WMR launches. Was desperately hoping to hold out for a 3080 before rebuilding but I think I'm gonna just have to stop being lazy and get on with it.

Associate
Is this buying situation going to improve eventually do we think. With the ongoing pandemic and brexit, is this it now for the UK? At one point do HP flood the market with enough that it's not worth it for the scalpers to buy them all up, and similar with the Nvidia cards. I took a punt with the G2 and pre-ordered, and despite the shaky start I'm glad I did now given the huge difficulties others are having getting them, I didn't plan on needing a 30xx card to do it justice though so I feel like I'm in the longest queue in the world.

Soldato
Cheers for that.. might start doing as you say then and switch it on a good bit before. I'm intrigued to know how/why that happens technically so I'm gonna go do some reading.

When LCDs are cold they have higher response times (the liquid becomes more viscous the lower the temp and can't be twisted as quickly), pixels can't update as quickly as the image, you get ghosting which appears to smear any movement. If the headset was always kept at room temp you probably wouldn't observe any.

It was very evident on mine when it was fresh off the cold delivery truck but that's about the only time I've seen it I can recall. Warming up before hand by connecting it a good 10 mins or so before you want to use it is still valuable though to help prevent any fogging of the lenses I find.

Is this buying situation going to improve eventually do we think. With the ongoing pandemic and brexit, is this it now for the UK? At one point do HP flood the market with enough that it's not worth it for the scalpers to buy them all up, and similar with the Nvidia cards. I took a punt with the G2 and pre-ordered, and despite the shaky start I'm glad I did now given the huge difficulties others are having getting them, I didn't plan on needing a 30xx card to do it justice though so I feel like I'm in the longest queue in the world.

Weird times but not immune to the laws of supply and demand. You'll find no Quest 2's being scalped on ebay for example... supply is too regular.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird times but not immune to the laws of supply and demand. You'll find no Quest 2's being scalped on ebay for example... supply is too regular.

Yep, look at what happened when Quest 1's were in short supply - prices rocketed. Second hand ones going for the price of new or even higher.

Back
Top Bottom