Need help with screws inside laptop

Associate
Hey guys not sure if anyone's had a similar problem, but one of my screws on my laptop heatsink is blunted and i cant unscrew it and really not sure what to do now.

anyone got any suggestions please as i have no idea, and cant proceed with repairing my laptop

Associate
u talking about philips no longer a philips and more like a round hole? if so, there is something u can do. biggest screw driver u can put is and apply extra presure.

Soldato
Use an elastic/rubber band for grip, place it on the screw(the stripped part) and apply pressure with the screwdriver and it should help it grip the screw.

Failing that, some needlenose pliers and a rubber band or a piece of thin cloth to help with grip if needed.

Soldato
As above try the rubber band first.

If that doesn't work, tap a slightly larger torx head into the screw.

Failing that, Dremel a straight edge, and use a flathead screwdriver.

Failing that, your screwed lol. Could try drilling it out if you have a small metal drill bit.

Soldato
Anything involving a dremel to cut a slot or a drill for whatever will create metal fragments everywhere so be prepared.

Maybe you could get a grip with some pliers on the rim of the screw. Can't try many times before you round the edge off too.

Soldato
You might be able to buy a heatsink on fleabag with screws Next time get and use the correct size screwdriver :)

Was my first thought too! But benefit of the doubt and all that.

I personally wouldn't Dremel it, but depends what you are trying to do to "fix" your laptop. I would go down the strong adhesive let it set rock hard on the wrong size screwdriver you used, and then try to get it out that way.

Just make sure you dont get ANY adhesive anywhere else.

As for screw spares, contact MSI support they will be able to assist with giving you the correct dimensions of screw needed, and then you can get one from any good hardware store/site.

Back
Top Bottom