Post Your Garden!

Soldato
Yes something like that could also work, also thinking I'll struggle to bridge that gap between wall and patio doors totally, so I may prioritise putting the sheltered bit outside of the patio doors with some seating under it.

The lounge should feel a bit more private then, and as most pergolas seems to be approx 3m x 3m light should still get in :)

Soldato
Yup. There are literally about half a dozen plants, trees, and bushes that will grow in it. You see them repeated all over the neighborhood. I mean I had a tree planted in the garden. You remember the rains a few years back that caused all the flooding? Come the summer the tree literally fell over cus all the roots had rotted, lol.

You'd need to dig up/rotavate/get some professionals in and break up the hard pan and get some organic matter in there to improve the soil condition as well as improve drainage. If it floods you might want to look at a drainage system. All depending on budget and/or inclination of course.

There is a landscape company coming over early next week to look at some options, I wanted to float the idea of some kind of outdoor shelter/cover for the patio outside of the kitchen/lounge area, bridging the gap to the garage on the left hand side.

Would this work? excuse my poor paint drawing! :)
OEkAZkTh.jpg

Not seeing a drawing just a photo? To be honest since you have landscape gardeners in I'd have a good chat with them about what you want they'd probably draw up plans for a low maintenence project if it was me I'd want to something to break up all that hard landscaping and get some planting in there

Soldato
You'd need to dig up/rotavate/get some professionals in and break up the hard pan and get some organic matter in there to improve the soil condition as well as improve drainage. If it floods you might want to look at a drainage system. All depending on budget and/or inclination of course.

Not seeing a drawing just a photo? To be honest since you have landscape gardeners in I'd have a good chat with them about what you want they'd probably draw up plans for a low maintenence project if it was me I'd want to something to break up all that hard landscaping and get some planting in there

Sorry the drawing was the poor paint black pillars and such.

I am definitely a fan of low maintenance, but I agree it's a bit lame to just have all paving. Behind me in the shot is a big planter thing that spans the back wall, so it's not just patio.

They had some stuff when I moved in but I wasn't huge on it, so just cleared it all ready for something better.

I think my focus would be on easy to manage smaller plants, and staying neatly organised.

Soldato
We've just had our garden sorted. It's nothing special but it's now way better than it was when we first moved in.

einV6UA.jpg

Lb8RB0a.jpg

Had the patio extended by about a meter in length and had it extended up to the fence and had the rest of the garden made a bit more level and turfed.

Plan is to get a shed built in a few months and build some flowerbeds etc but for now we were just fed up of looking at the mud pit

Soldato
Your first pic looks like my Linden Garden did, a sodden mess because lack of top soil, drainage was pretty bad.

You may find your turf needs more ground work to avoid the problem, but worth playing the wait and see game.

Does look a lot better in the after shot though!

Soldato
Your first pic looks like my Linden Garden did, a sodden mess because lack of top soil, drainage was pretty bad.

You may find your turf needs more ground work to avoid the problem, but worth playing the wait and see game.

Does look a lot better in the after shot though!

Aha, what a surprise that ours is also a Linden House! We we're quite lucky as we had a few gardeners come around when quoting and most dug up a few bits in different patches and said we were quite lucky the soil was decent quality.

The gardener we used ended up bringing in another 2 or so tonnes of top soil before putting the turf down and we have a minor slope which should help the drainage but we'll see how that goes.

It's made the garden look bigger and the extra bit of patio will be nice to put some garden furniture on one the warmer weather starts. It's certainly not as depressing to look at any more

Caporegime
We've just had our garden sorted. It's nothing special but it's now way better than it was when we first moved in.

Lb8RB0a.jpg

Had the patio extended by about a meter in length and had it extended up to the fence and had the rest of the garden made a bit more level and turfed.

Plan is to get a shed built in a few months and build some flowerbeds etc but for now we were just fed up of looking at the mud pit

Can you elaborate on what was done with the lawn? Have a feeling ours will be the same.

Soldato
Can you elaborate on what was done with the lawn? Have a feeling ours will be the same.

It was fairly uneven so we had it levelled - mostly meant taking the soil from one side to the other. Also had 2 tonnes of quality top soil placed on top of the existing soil before we had the turf put down. We were going to get a path and shed base put down but it was way more than we thought it would be. So we've decided to get that done at a later date

Caporegime
It was fairly uneven so we had it levelled - mostly meant taking the soil from one side to the other. Also had 2 tonnes of quality top soil placed on top of the existing soil before we had the turf put down. We were going to get a path and shed base put down but it was way more than we thought it would be. So we've decided to get that done at a later date

Yeah, I'm wondering if we'll need to dig back and put more top soil down.

Need to let it go through a season and figure itself out first i think.

Associate
Soldato
What is the canopy like to take off? I live in a very windy area surrounded by open fields and would most likely need to remove it after the summer months. Or, could it just be tied up and secured?

The poles that go through the sail just hook off the main frame its dead easy or you can just wind it all the way back so its not open and leave it tied up

Associate
The poles that go through the sail just hook off the main frame its dead easy or you can just wind it all the way back so its not open and leave it tied up

Brilliant, thank you.

Do you know how far apart the legs are by any chance? From reading the reviews, it seems that they are closer together than 300cm? Our patio area is exactly 3m x 3m so I am hoping that it would fit on that space and be fixed down (I'm assuming there are holes for fixing points)?

Also, is it possible to fit curtains to it somehow?

Associate
a lot of sweat and tears on this but delighted as a DIY'er. If anyone wants anymore I have plenty of pics of during the work.

126051113-10219190743018997-5504453903447964824-o.jpg

126178259-10219190743739015-1564913066131815962-o.jpg

126129792-10219190750579186-502571105967338315-o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom