Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Open-World RPG / Medieval History

Soldato
Started last night and tbh I'm genuinely impressed by it.

The intro story set up was done really well, sure the Voice acting is a bit ropey in places but otherwise it's solid so far.

I haven't done much past leaving the town but hope to play more this evening.

I'm playing on TV via a controller, fully supported and works well BUT the mouse cursor is always on screen?

Also the save system is obviously a little different? I imagine it's ok once you get used to it. I haven't had to save with a drink yet

Soldato
The save system used to be: make this product from ingredients, now you can save.

I haven't played for a while so it may have changed. I started playing in 2013 though through kickstarter and backing it.

I would recommend this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1/ to save whenever you want, without having to "make" saves from ingredients. Was never a good idea IMO.

Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it for a bit and see how it goes but I do think I'll end up going for it. I cant really see how limiting saves makes for a better experience?

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it for a bit and see how it goes but I do think I'll end up going for it. I cant really see how limiting saves makes for a better experience?
I think the argument is that when you do finally save, it's more rewarding as it's been a challenge to get there.

I've never gone for the unlimited saves thing even in hardcore, I prefer the risk. I have stolen rather than made almost all the Saviour Schnapps though!

Thanks for the advice, I'll leave it for a bit and see how it goes but I do think I'll end up going for it. I cant really see how limiting saves makes for a better experience
It makes for a start and finish your session moment, and pretty quickly isn't a problem as you can buy them at every town, and then make them if you try to quickly enough level that skill.

It encourages you to rather than save in the middle of the street and quit out, instead go home and go to bed. Then next time you play you'll start at home in bed.

Soldato
Interesting thoughts on the topic. As I say I'll leave it as standard for now as it was done by design but if I find it more frustrating than it's worth I'll consider the mod.

Thanks! I understand the risk reward aspect and think I will like that about the game

Soldato
My advice, said earlier in this thread is to pick nettles early in game. You gain strength from bending down, poison resistance from the stings and some pennies from selling them.

Associate
Good tips to follow are getting good at shooting arrows! Arrows are a 1 hit kill to any open face/helmet in the game. Practice a lot with Captain Bernard to level your hand-to-hand combat abilities - even using wooden weapons (just make sure to take any armor Henry is wearing off as it still gets damaged).

With practicing on Captain Bernard you will get used to combination attacks, normal parrying and to riposte. To riposte press key/button for a perfect parry as the green shield icon is about to light up which massively opens up an opponent - a skilled opponent can, however, riposte a riposte so it isn't a guaranteed thing. I have on occasion been locked in a riposte war with Captain Bernard constantly countering and me also constantly countering. A riposte can also be initiated by watching your opponent's tells in their body movement - if they raise their weapon to attack hit that button! as the Green shield icon won't light until the attack is about to hit you.

The Shield and Mace are by far the most useful in combat as they have very high endurance and to armored opponents, they do tonnes of damage as blunt damage is king - next is long swords with higher stab damage as a hit to an unprotected face/arm is

Soldato
All good advice above. Feints are also good to get skilled at. It gives you much reliable means of clunking someone on the head with your mace if you get the misdirection right.

Oh, even though you're using a mace the thrust/stab move can actually be one of the most useful in a lot of circumstances, counter-intuitively. It comes out faster and has better range than the swings it seems. A riposte followed by two quick mace thrusts to the faceplate will finish an awful lot of fights.

Also, whilst combos can be really useful, the three-move combos are much easier to land than the four-move ones, which might seem obvious, but worth bearing in mind when you select your skills at level-up.

Associate
All good advice above. Feints are also good to get skilled at. It gives you much reliable means of clunking someone on the head with your mace if you get the misdirection right.

Oh, even though you're using a mace the thrust/stab move can actually be one of the most useful in a lot of circumstances, counter-intuitively. It comes out faster and has better range than the swings it seems. A riposte followed by two quick mace thrusts to the faceplate will finish an awful lot of fights.

Also, whilst combos can be really useful, the three-move combos are much easier to land than the four-move ones, which might seem obvious, but worth bearing in mind when you select your skills at level-up.

Ahh of course - I forgot about feints! Moving the weapon in different directions away from the opponent's guard is very effective!

Agree about the stab move with the blunt weapons too - some of the Warhammer's later on like the Raven's Beak have a point on which does a fair bit of bleed but more often than not you've either knocked the opponent out or outright killed them!

Agree on 3 hit combos far easier to hit and therefore can save some skill points as 4 and 5 hit combos are almost pointless as you're often riposted / countered and left with no stamina leaving you wide open for a lot of damage to be done to you.

Soldato
Is it worth using any gfx mods for this game? my performance seems fine but apparently there's one that gives more fps and better gfx?

Loving the game so far.

Associate
Tried several times ot get into this and failed quickly. I gave it one more try and bam, got through the intro (that was a long time!) then the game really opened up.
So atmospheric walking around looking out for ne'er do wells skulking in the bushes.
I also quickly found out that fast travelling is pretty much a death sentence as I just cannot fight more than one person at a time (well, for the minute).

I even enjoy trying to find places to sleep and or repairing my gear. That usually turns me right off but it just seems so right :)

Oh and alchemy is pretty hard. Maybe after a few goes I'll get it right but it is fun looking over at the recipe to work out what's next.. feel like Harry Potter is potions class.

Soldato
I played through the intro and was really enjoying the game, but I never really understood the combat tutorial and by the time I had to fight again I had no clue what I was doing. I gave up in frustration which is a shame as I really wanted to play it. Are there any decent guides / videos on the combat around?

Soldato
I played through the intro and was really enjoying the game, but I never really understood the combat tutorial and by the time I had to fight again I had no clue what I was doing. I gave up in frustration which is a shame as I really wanted to play it. Are there any decent guides / videos on the combat around?

I felt exactly the same, and avoided combat as much as possible for my first 10 hours or so in the game. Best thing I found was just to spend a couple of hours in the training ring with Captain Whatsisface outside Rattay. I went from completely bewilidered to mildly perplexed over that time and then it smoothed out from there. Once you get the riposte unlocked, get the move that let's you win clinches, and you can use a feint to land your mace on someone's head with reasonable reliability things feel much better.

I tried watching a few videos. I can't remember which ones, but the only thing that sorted it for me was just sparring in the training ring with wooden weapons for a while.

(If you're referring to the fight I think you are, I got my backside royally handed to me in that one to the point I couldn't see a possible way to win it as well...)

Back
Top Bottom