Sony XH90 owners

Associate
Hi, I’m looking into this set as I’ve recently read it does now have the update for 4K 120hz but I hear that the image can be blurry? Is this true?

Has it also had the update for vrr or has that now been cancelled?

Also can you confirm if this is the correct model number KD55XH9005BU.

I believe it’s the right one but what do the numbers mean after xh90? The 05bu. I’m worried I’m going to pick up the wrong set.

Many thanks

Associate
If it's for gaming your much better off getting an LG CX or BX OLED.

With the current LG 10% off OLED promotion the price won't be a huge amount more.

Soldato
Hi, I’m looking into this set as I’ve recently read it does now have the update for 4K 120hz but I hear that the image can be blurry? Is this true?

Has it also had the update for vrr or has that now been cancelled?

Also can you confirm if this is the correct model number KD55XH9005BU.

I believe it’s the right one but what do the numbers mean after xh90? The 05bu. I’m worried I’m going to pick up the wrong set.

Many thanks

Can't comment on being blurry, other than i wouldn't have thought so.

KD55XH9005BU is the correct model number.

VRR update still coming according to Sony
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1610531618

If it's for gaming your much better off getting an LG CX or BX OLED.

With the current LG 10% off OLED promotion the price won't be a huge amount more.

I can see the LG BX is £1100 and Sony XH90 is £800 from RS. Unless the LG can be had for cheaper, £300 is still a sizeable chunk of money (to me anyway).

Associate
I can see the LG BX is £1100 and Sony XH90 is £800 from RS. Unless the LG can be had for cheaper, £300 is still a sizeable chunk of money (to me anyway).

55 BX was £900 yesterday but that was due to a pricing error at Argos. Quite a few people got them though and also managed to get Richer Sounds to price match.

Update - 55 BX is £886 at Very currently using a discount code and £917 at Costco (Costco has excellent warranty - 5 years and 90 day no quibble return policy)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies everyone. I really am set on the tv.
Would there be any downside to this particular set only having hdr10 and not hdr10+?

Is it only the game mode that has very low input lag? I believe this set is one of the best with regards to this?

Associate
OP
Have Sony shown what the next new model up from the xh90 will be yet?

If it’s slightly better spec and not drastically different in price might be worth looking into.

Soldato
Have Sony shown what the next new model up from the xh90 will be yet?

If it’s slightly better spec and not drastically different in price might be worth looking into.

It’ll probably come out at around £200 more than the outgoing model and then drop in price throughout the year.
However, I’m not sure what the X90J specs are or when it’s due as 2020 was a bit of a write off.

X90J (75”, 65”, 55” and 50” models) 4K LED TV features:

• Cognitive Processor XR understands how humans see and hear, providing a revolutionary experience that completely immerses viewers in their favourite content
  • Combined with the precision of a Full-Array LED panel, XR Triluminos Pro and XR Contrast Booster deliver supreme realism with deep blacks and intense brightness
  • Latest XR Motion Clarity technology cross-analyses data to ensure action stays smooth, bright and clear with no blur
  • XR 4K Upscaling technology upscales 2K signals close to true 4K quality for incredibly real and detailed pictures
  • HDMI 2.1 feature compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and eARC
  • Acoustic Multi-Audio and sound signal processing technology deliver sound that matches perfectly with what’s on-screen
  • Ambient Optimization technology with a light sensor automatically adjusts picture and sound to viewers’ environment
  • Minimalist design with flush surface maximises the screen and minimises the bezel so users stay focused on what’s important – the picture
  • BRAVIA CORE™: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all-new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps.
  • Quick access to an array of content and services with Google TV
  • Easy connectivity to most devices, including Apple® AirPlay® 2 and HomeKit™
  • Support for Dolby Vision® HDR and Dolby Atmos® immersive audio will transform entertainment with ultra-vivid picture quality and incredible moving sound
  • Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
  • Hands-free voice search works alongside Google Assistant to provide a smarter viewing experience
  • Netflix Calibrated Mode offers studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™ delivers IMAX remastered picture and immersive audio by DTS
  • Calman® Ready offers advanced calibration capabilities and the ability to fine-tune adjustments simply not possible through conventional picture settings

Last edited:
Soldato
Point too - whether xh90 prices will drop further with new model in the uk, seem to be usa deals @costco on xh;

new model has different screen sizes versus predecessor too, so whether zones have changed from 48 odd, they have currently in xh;
I'm still cynical about benefit of relatively few zones these have, although you loose the 100hz for the models next down the range.

they don't seeem to have added av1(4k utube) codec support on the new model, which is one of my careabouts

Soldato
I set my heart on the xH90 for my series x gaming, had it 2 weeks and absolutely hated it. I couldn’t get the colours / brightness right for tv viewing compared to my previous cheapo LG and each input constantly needed adjusting. I found Android was very buggy and crashed a bit but I did love being able to play redream and my Dreamcast games on it.

in the end, I had to send it back and upsold myself to a 55CX. I had it set up within a day to my viewing preferences and haven’t looked back. It was more money obvs which I hadn’t budgeted for but the CX setup and use is so much easier IMO

Associate
I set my heart on the xH90 for my series x gaming, had it 2 weeks and absolutely hated it. I couldn’t get the colours / brightness right for tv viewing compared to my previous cheapo LG and each input constantly needed adjusting. I found Android was very buggy and crashed a bit but I did love being able to play redream and my Dreamcast games on it.

in the end, I had to send it back and upsold myself to a 55CX. I had it set up within a day to my viewing preferences and haven’t looked back. It was more money obvs which I hadn’t budgeted for but the CX setup and use is so much easier IMO

Did you look at the varioud guides to calibrating? AVforums etc.

Im thinking of the XH95, i can see the newer model (X90J) being a lot more expensive for something taht probably doesn't warrant it.

Soldato
Did you look at the varioud guides to calibrating? AVforums etc.

Im thinking of the XH95, i can see the newer model (X90J) being a lot more expensive for something taht probably doesn't warrant it.

Yes, I tried loads of calibration but I just couldnt get there with it. The picture is supposed to be better on the XH95 although I'm not convinced I'd be able to get it to my preference. Pretty sure it doesnt support 4k/120

Soldato
Not sure even their updated android platform should be viewed as a games platform (there's a cpu spec comparision I can't refind on the web).

Can even the new architecture support 50+Mb/s on wireless or lan from a media server, it meets legitimate needs, though.
[see earlier xf thread https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/sony-xf90.18817534/#post-31761537 ]
the upscaling(sd)/motion-handling should be better than LG oled(their low bitrate issues); and, colour fidelity - well vincent didn't have problems. (sounded like buyers remorse excuse)

for hdr colour adjustment, not sure who from panasonic/sony/lg has the best adjustment system allowing the brightness/eotf curve to be adjusted ,
- for panasonic looked like you have to have a colour meter to access additional tv menus

they don't seeem to have added av1(4k utube) codec support on the new model, which is one of my careabouts
Sony embraces the AV1 video format with its 2021 TVs

Back
Top Bottom