Replacement for Galaxy S10e?

Soldato
My contract ends in May, and I'm going back to SIM only, so looking to replace my S10e, lovely phone, horrendous battery life.

I've just got my son a Xiaomi Redmi 9 for a bargain £54, and my wife a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite 5g for £155, so I guess I should probably look for a Xiaomi too, lol!

Any recommendations for up to around £400? Cheers.

Soldato
The Mrs’ is in exactly the same boat, S10e up in June and if it was now I would be recommending either the Pixel 4a/4a 5g or 5. They just represent decent value (particularly the 4a variants) and you know you’ll get a solid user experience.

Soldato
OP
The Mrs’ is in exactly the same boat, S10e up in June and if it was now I would be recommending either the Pixel 4a/4a 5g or 5. They just represent decent value (particularly the 4a variants) and you know you’ll get a solid user experience.

Thank you, the only worry I have there is that they're all going to be slower than the 10e, although that might not be noticeable in use.

Soldato
I wouldn’t recommend the S10 Lite based on my own (or rather my sister’s) experience. It’s an ok phone but she was just ultimately disappointed with it and she was particularly damning of the fingerprint scanner and the camera.
Obviously everyone is different so I’m not saying don’t get it, just that I personally wouldn’t recommend it. It’s also considerably larger than the S10e just in case you prefer a smaller device.
With all that said is the S10 Lite even an upgrade over the e? The Lite has gorilla glass 3 as opposed to the e’s GG5 and it’s also constructed from plastic as opposed to glass and aluminium (if that is of importance to you). The Lite also has a Super Amoled display much the same as the S20 FE and although it’s by no means a poor display it’s still a tier below the dynamic amoled offered by the S10e.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the Pixel range.

My last 2 or 3 phones have been Samsung, and I won't be going for one this time, just fancy a change more than anything.

Associate
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the Pixel range.

My last 2 or 3 phones have been Samsung, and I won't be going for one this time, just fancy a change more than anything.

If you visit a certain hot deal website, you will find plenty of recent Pixel deals.

Soldato
I was considering buying an S10e, is the battery life really bad?
It's certainly not great, partly down to the small size of the battery itself combined with the power hungry Exynos processor.
I have to ask, why an S10e now? It's a 2 year old device at this stage and if a small device is your fancy then for my money the Pixel 4a would be a better buy and I believe in and around the same cost but don't quote me on that.

Soldato
That phone really was crippled by the battery life with the Exynos, I'm happy enough when I switched over to the big brother S10+ but of course had to go up in size considerably.

Soldato
It's certainly not great, partly down to the small size of the battery itself combined with the power hungry Exynos processor.
I have to ask, why an S10e now? It's a 2 year old device at this stage and if a small device is your fancy then for my money the Pixel 4a would be a better buy and I believe in and around the same cost but don't quote me on that.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm looking for a reasonably priced small phone, I still want a 'premium' phone so I figured buying an older one would be best. I bought a P Smart 2020 which firstly is too big but also it's not as good as my old iPhone SE. I'm not really fussed about screen quality, more about camera and, possibly randomly, the external speakers as it appears that I use them more than I realised! The SE blows the Smart out of the water in this regard. I will look at the Pixel 4, thanks.

Soldato
I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm looking for a reasonably priced small phone, I still want a 'premium' phone so I figured buying an older one would be best. I bought a P Smart 2020 which firstly is too big but also it's not as good as my old iPhone SE. I'm not really fussed about screen quality, more about camera and, possibly randomly, the external speakers as it appears that I use them more than I realised! The SE blows the Smart out of the water in this regard. I will look at the Pixel 4, thanks.
When the S10e came out it was a great little phone - I had one myself as well as the Mrs except I sold mine after a year - that was just me getting the 12 month itch, absolutely nothing wrong with the phone.
Just to be clear, I wouldn't go Pixel 4, make sure you look for the 4a or 4a 5g.
If you've used iPhone in the past what about an 11 or even 12 if your budget allows? The 12 not much bigger (if at all) than the S10e and is pretty much as premium as you can get at that form factor.

Back
Top Bottom