Xbox welcomes Bethesda to the family!

Associate
Just announced the deal has gone through this week, Bethesda and its other studios are now part of the Xbox 1st party line up.

BethesdaAndXbox_HERO.jpg

Associate
I think they'll release existing IPs - Doom, Wolfenstein etc - on the PS5 but anything new will be Xbox Exclusive.

They're giving people a myriad of options with Game Pass, PC and xCloud. You don't have to own an Xbox console, although the Series S is a cost-effective option. They want to incentivize people to invest in the Xbox ecosystem, they've already said they don't need to release games on the PS5 to recoup their expenditure.

It's not about single unit sales, they want repeat subscriptions. The pre-existing deals with Deathloop and GhostWire will be honoured, and live services will remain like ESO, Fallout 76 etc.

I saw this explanation on Reddit which pretty much says it all:

Keeping Bethesda exclusive to Microsoft's eco-system both adheres to Phil's views on exclusivity being a "bad thing", and will bring in enough revenue to make the acquisition worthwhile.

First off, Spencer isn't referring to exclusivity on a 'console-to-console' basis. He's simply talking about not limiting access to these games by putting them behind a $500 paywall. That's why Gamepass exists. It's always been about accessibility and affordability.

People saying that MS will miss out on millions of sales without the Sony consumer base are missing the point. Playstation has a bigger console market share than MS, we know this. But Playstation's market share is dwarfed by PC, which is in turn, dwarfed by mobile. Having Gamepass on a console, PC, mobile, and eventually as an app on your TV, gives MS a strong foothold in something like 82% of the entire gaming market. By offering their games on Playstation they are removing that requirement for Sony consumers to buy into Gamepass, and are therefore hindering their own platform. It's not about sales anymore, it's about subscriptions.

THAT is what Phil means when he says "exclusivity is bad". Remove the $500 pay walls, increase accessibility. And it's already paying off massively. Xbox made $15.5B in profit in the last quarter. Twice the Bethesda investment. They don't need Playstation's userbase to make this thing work.

Last edited:
Associate
The purchase of the Bethesda group has cost Microsoft nothing other than the movement in share price (which may have actually given Microsoft a profit if the share price has risen).........the group sit as an asset on Microsoft's accounts.

Soldato

That's what they said, it's all old stuff.

Microsoft is honouring currently contracts but didn't mention anything about Playstation other than that. They only mentioned Gamepass on Consoles/PC/Mobile/Smart Displays.

Someone from Bethesda mentioned something happening this summer, didn't say what, but maybe a new game.

FPS boost coming soon to more Bethesda games.

that's pretty much it so far.

nothing unexpected to be honest

Caporegime
Oh My days. Another batch of great games to add to the backlog! I guess The Evil Within 2 has some kind of exclusivity with PS Now as it’s missing.

The only downside is that typically any DLC isn’t included. So to get the extras for Oblivion will cost a packet. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Oh My days. Another batch of great games to add to the backlog! I guess The Evil Within 2 has some kind of exclusivity with PS Now as it’s missing.

The only downside is that typically any DLC isn’t included. So to get the extras for Oblivion will cost a packet. :(

Doom 2016 and Evil Within 2 are currently on PS Now, so there's probably a contractual obligation. They will find their way on Game Pass eventually though.

As for Oblivion's DLC, just wait for a sale, they're usually £2-3 each.

Lol some posts in here aged well.

going to be so much fallout from some games being Xbox only now.

I called it! :p

Soldato
After fallout 4 I have no faith in the next one being good. Elder scrolls maybe, hopefully by then there is a controller I can bear using on the SX unless I go pc route.

Back
Top Bottom