**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Currently in the process of buying a new car and they have put on 235/35/19 Alloy's on with Excelleron Tyres all round, does anyone know much about these as after googling I cant find much other than Goodyear have something to do with them.

Guessing by the lack of information they aren't great?

I like to use premium tyres but after buying a car and having to change 4 tyres straight away at not the cheapest size isn't ideal, so if they are shocking may try to see what can be done before I buy it.

It's a GTD - So not a performance car but I do like to bomb it around in stereotypical fashion :D

At the end of the day they are budget tyres, but in fairness they are one of the better ones out there.

If you can afford to, maybe get some proper branded tyres on and sell the others as part worns?

If not or you feel comfortable enough with the tyres then use them.

Soldato
Currently in the process of buying a new car and they have put on 235/35/19 Alloy's on with Excelleron Tyres all round, does anyone know much about these as after googling I cant find much other than Goodyear have something to do with them.

Guessing by the lack of information they aren't great?

I like to use premium tyres but after buying a car and having to change 4 tyres straight away at not the cheapest size isn't ideal, so if they are shocking may try to see what can be done before I buy it.

It's a GTD - So not a performance car but I do like to bomb it around in stereotypical fashion :D

If they are sticking budget tyres on what else are they scrimping on?

I'd ask them to put tyres of the similar level.of what they came as factory or atleast of a make you know... Even something like Avon.

Or alternatively get a price for tyres you are happy with and get them to knock it off the car price.

Is it a main dealer?

Caporegime
If they are sticking budget tyres on what else are they scrimping on?

I'd ask them to put tyres of the similar level.of what they came as factory or atleast of a make you know... Even something like Avon.

Or alternatively get a price for tyres you are happy with and get them to knock it off the car price.

Is it a main dealer?

If its a dealer they probably just put the tyres on to prep it for sale, it may not be indicative of how it has been maintained.

If its a private seller, ask them about it. When I bought my S60 it had some brand new ditchfinders on it, the seller said he put them on so he could sell it because the old ones were near illegal, figured it would be easier to sell. The previous set were Goodyears, the receipt was in the history.

Shame he bothered because they immediately went in the bin. Utter crap. :p

Soldato
One of the best budgets tyres of the last few years is Nexen... if you have to go cheap, go with these as they're solid in the wet unlike 99.9% of all the other cheap tyres!!! For the money, probably the best VFM there is...

Caporegime
One of the best budgets tyres of the last few years is Nexen... if you have to go cheap, go with these as they're solid in the wet unlike 99.9% of all the other cheap tyres!!! For the money, probably the best VFM there is...

They are (or used to be) factory fit to new Kias, even the high end ones, so they can't be that bad can they. :)

Got some on the back of my Lexus at the moment, they are disappointingly non-lethal in the wet I must say. :p

Soldato
They are (or used to be) factory fit to new Kias, even the high end ones, so they can't be that bad can they. :)

Got some on the back of my Lexus at the moment, they are disappointingly non-lethal in the wet I must say. :p
Seriously I've had the on my old jeep 22" 285/35/22's and they were fantastic, never let me down I was shocked how good they were in the wet.

We've now just replaced the fronts on my 350Z with them as well and will be replacing the remaning PZeros on the rear with them later this year and in the wet and dry, great tyres for the money... incredible VFM. I'd now put them close to say the Falken FK's now in performance... I've got the Falkens on my RX8. If you want cool tyres and tyres that look great, NEXEN aren't it... if you care about longevity and wet and dry all round, I'd never hesitate in having a set.

Underboss
Any recommendations for a new full set of tyres for a 2004 ford focus estate?

I'd been recommended the Michelin CrossClimate+ (195 60 r15) and can get them for £83.50 fitted per corner?

Sounds ok but thought I'd check whether people think they're worth it or whether it's better to just get regular road tyres not all season ones?
#

i use them , great in low temps over summer tyres, that's the reason i bought them

Soldato
Got my Michelin 4S fitted at the front the other day and first impressions are how much more comfortable they are over the Conti's. Now I know they're new and have some more tread on them but they really are night and day. And the handling seems just as sharp as ever. Got to use them a bit more, but unsurprisingly the first impressions are very positive as usual.

Also as an added bonus, managed to get 2 x 235/35/19 fitted for £256 at F1 Autocentres. And Michelin are doing a promotion to give £40 cashback on a pair of 19" tyres, so it looks as though a pair of 235/35/19 Michelin 4S tyres may have cost me £216 fitted, which is ridiculously good value considering a pair of Kleber or Toyo tyres would have set me back £230 fitted, and only cost £20 more than a pair of Nankangs!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Got my Michelin 4S fitted at the front the other day and first impressions are how much more comfortable they are over the Conti's. Now I know they're new and have some more tread on them but they really are night and day. And the handling seems just as sharp as ever. Got to use them a bit more, but unsurprisingly the first impressions are very positive as usual.

Also as an added bonus, managed to get 2 x 235/35/19 fitted for £256 at F1 Autocentres. And Michelin are doing a promotion to give £40 cashback on a pair of 19" tyres, so it looks as though a pair of 235/35/19 Michelin 4S tyres may have cost me £216 fitted, which is ridiculously good value considering a pair of Kleber or Toyo tyres would have set me back £230 fitted, and only cost £20 more than a pair of Nankangs!

Wait until theyve scrubbed in for 500 miles and the weather warms up :D Then you will be blown away with how good they are.

Associate
Recently fitted Bridgestone A005 all weather tyres very impressed with them.
They are not the top rated for snow performance but are M&S rated so easily coped with snow covered local roads where my previous summer tyres slid all over the place.
The reason i went for them was the top rated wet performance and longevity comparable with a summer tyre.
No spinning tyres at junctions now in the wet compared to the summer Continentals i had.
Only time will tell re longevity but feel a lot more confident on wet roads which in Scotland is most of the time :D

Soldato
Looks like I'll need some new tyres for the front of the Mondeo.
Looks like Primacy 4 are a good bet, but I'm confused that there are the normal ones which are £151 and B fuel, A wet.
Then there are the S1 version at £156, A fuel, A wet.
Any reason not to get the better rated ones?

There's also a Volvo version which gets A fuel, B wet.

Soldato
Wait until theyve scrubbed in for 500 miles and the weather warms up :D Then you will be blown away with how good they are.

I had them on my old M3 and they were magnificent in all situations, including on track.

I've had a bit of a 30 mile drive on them today and they are as fantastic as I remember them to be. You get to the point in a bend where you think "I should be understeering here".... but you're not and the tyres still aren't anywhere near the edge of their grip and you know you could push it even harder if you had the balls. The front's now being stickier has just highlighted the rears needing to follow suit. There are some Hankook S1 Evo 2's on the back which aren't bad tyres at all, but you can feel that they are the first to break away whilst the fronts are still happily clinging on like **** to a blanket.

In other news, the C63 is absolutely magnificent. Yes the cabin has a good few rattles, yes the gearbox isn't as responsive as the DCT was in the M3 and yes the interior is pretty dated these days, but on the other hand the brakes being nearly unfadeable on the road, the steering being so fast and responsive and that engine that just wants to destroy the world means it's such an absolute joy to drive. What an amazing car.

Soldato
FWIW - F1 autocentres frequently have very good deals on tyres. Managed to get a pair of 235/35/19 Michelin 4S tyres for £255 fitted

Just priced mine up at the local F1 centre. 2x 225/40/19 & 2x 255/35/19. Annoyingly, they don't seem to make the fronts in non S otherwise I'd probably just go for those.

After discounts comes in at £618. Should be able to drop that by another £8 as that includes disposal of my old tyres (runflats) which I want back as the still have 4-5mm all round & can sell them on.

UPDATE
Had a chat with Kwik Fit this morning & they have offered the same tyres fully fitted for £578

One thing I noticed, they have the same tyres listed 3 times, only difference I can see is fitment is listed for Ford, BMW & Hyundai

Ford fitting is £30 cheaper, but as far as I can see the tyre is identical. Any idea why this would be?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom