LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Well, there are a gazillion more games out for PC than for PS4/PS5 combined then of course those select few heavily developed console titles that have many millions pumped into them then they are going to have more effort put into them than many PC titles. As consoles now use x86 hardware there is no 'significant' difference between developing a PS4/PS5 game and a PC game other than the level of graphical fidelity they can cram in before they run out of horsepower, which is of course limited by the fixed hardware inside a console. That means they can often put a ton of detail into characters and environments, but the penalty is generally the draw distance or number of NPC's or whatever sacrifices they need to make to balance things out and make the most of what they have.

If those games were (as some are, such as Mordor and HZD) ported to PC then on good hardware they would generally always look better as you could then remove the limited horsepower from the equation and crank up the settings. The best looking games on PC are far above the best looking games you can get on console as a result of that. I'm not sure why we are even discussing this, it's just a matter of record.

PS: TLOU2 has only been out since June last year.

He said its took consoles ten years to make games that look good. I begged to differ. I'm fully aware more powerful hardware in PCs will make multiplatform games look better if ported correctly. What are the best looking games on PC so i can give my Rtx3070 something to do?

Soldato
Wait six months to pay 50% more than a current CX in the the 'hope' that they have fixed flickering VRR issues? Not the best decision imo.

Yeah I guess you may be right - it’s just that’s the only real reason I want to upgrade - tearing is doing my head in. In every other respect my 2018 E8 is still excellent.

Soldato
Wait six months to pay 50% more than a current CX in the the 'hope' that they have fixed flickering VRR issues? Not the best decision imo.

Que?

Has anyone on this thread experienced the much talked about 'flickering VRR' problem? I've never come across it, if someone actually had a repro I'd be interested to try it.

Caporegime
Yeah I guess you may be right - it’s just that’s the only real reason I want to upgrade - tearing is doing my head in. In every other respect my 2018 E8 is still excellent.
The CX is a storming buy at the moment, especially with the offers currently on, I would really go for that before stocks are snapped up. Otherwise I think you would regret it.

Ok I am a muppet and have now learnt a little about HDMI cable specs and how to better read them... seems like the cable I bought only supports 1080p at 60hz in the 15m version. The super weird thing is that it DID briefly work as a full bandwidth cable for a day before going boobs up... lol...

I am going to return the cable and buy a certified one that is guaranteed to provide full bandwidth at 15m. I would love a Ruipro HDMI2.1 15m cable but I am not paying £200... :)
Ok, in the end I bought a 15m Ruipro 8k HDMI 2.1 cable. I cheekily messaged them to ask for a discount and they gave me a 20% off voucher so that softens the blow somewhat. Looking forward to some 4k120 HDR 444 gaming. :D

Soldato
Good man! What was the damage in the end? Sure you don't want a 65"? :D

Haha, I would have liked 65 but the increase in cost isn’t worth it for me I think. I’m happy with the size! I ordered it with a company I won’t mention here but in the end was about 1150 - I’m sure there are cheaper places but the thing that swayed me was being able to use PayPal credit over 24 months at 0%. I quite like using PayPal credit as I can pay off more whenever I feel like it.

Caporegime
Haha, I would have liked 65 but the increase in cost isn’t worth it for me I think. I’m happy with the size! I ordered it with a company I won’t mention here but in the end was about 1150 - I’m sure there are cheaper places but the thing that swayed me was being able to use PayPal credit over 24 months at 0%. I quite like using PayPal credit as I can pay off more whenever I feel like it.
PayPal credit at 0% over 24 months is a no-brainer... but would have also made the 65" manageable. ;) Ok I kid I kid, I have the 65" and I love it but I realise not everyone has the same space and/or requirements. Having sai that, the 55" to 65" is imo a much more worthwhile upgrade than the 65" to 77". The 65" costs 40% more than the 55" whereas the 77" costs a whopping 100% more than the 65". :eek:

Congrats though you are going to love it. :D

Soldato
I know what you mean - the 65 is probably the one to have. But it isn’t the biggest room really, and I think the 65 would start to dominate it quite heavily. At no point have I felt the 55 was not big enough, I just wanted gsync, VRR etc :)

Caporegime
I know what you mean - the 65 is probably the one to have. But it isn’t the biggest room really, and I think the 65 would start to dominate it quite heavily. At no point have I felt the 55 was not big enough, I just wanted gsync, VRR etc :)
Then it sounds perfect... prepare for OLED shock and awe, not only for the amazing colours but when you first play games with lots of dark areas and you realise that you can still see stuff. :D

Associate
Well I've had my 55 CX for just over a day now and loving it. 55 inch is the perfect size for our room, glad I didn't get tempted by the 65. Only problem so far is it really makes it obvious how poor some of my sources are! Netflix and such look amazing with Dolby Vision, so then putting on old 1080p freeview straight after looks awful!

I've not changed much in the settings yet, just followed rtings basic advice. Struggled a little bit with getting HDR right on games but only tried Witcher 3 and Red Dead 2 so far. Seems like what works for one game might not work for another which is a bit annoying. Witcher 3 especially I just couldn't quite find the right balance, especially with DTM sometimes I feel like I have to switch it on or off depending on the scene! Maybe because it's not a great HDR implementation?

Any tips or anything for how to set up, especially for gaming and HDR, would be great!

Caporegime
Just got the 48 cx for pc monitor duties, wow, I will go near lcd again.
It must be amazing if you sit far back enough on your desk. My 3090 also very conveniently has 2x HDMI 2.1 ports so if I had 2x OLED's it would cover the bedroom for keyboard and mouse gaming and the living room for big screen gamepad gaming.

Oh man this is pure first world craziness.

Associate
Just bought the 65cx. Seems like stock is low with most businesses.

Measured out the TV to show my wife, which she then called me a chav because of the size...

What slim mounts are people using for this? It's so massive I almost might as well put it on a stand but I want to keep it as out of the kids reach as possible.
Also do you have any connection issues when using a slim mount?

Last edited:
Associate
What picture mode do people opt for HD films (NON HDR / Dobly) I am presuming one of the ISF modes?
I've got the original Xbox one with Plex.

I've started off with the base settings from RTings. I've yet to have at look at the other modes yet.

Soldato
What picture mode do people opt for HD films (NON HDR / Dobly) I am presuming one of the ISF modes?
I've got the original Xbox one with Plex.

I've started off with the base settings from RTings. I've yet to have at look at the other modes yet.

Filmmaker or ISF dark/bright depending on your room lighting, adjust oled light to preference.

Soldato
Just bought the 65cx. Seems like stock is low with most businesses.

Measured out the TV to show my wife, which she then called me a chav because of the size...

What slim mounts are people using for this? It's so massive I almost might as well put it on a stand but I want to keep it as out of the kids reach as possible.
Also do you have any connection issues when using a slim mount?

I used the Vogels slim mount. It's hinged so you can pull the bottom of the TV away from the wall to get at the connections easier. I have a 90 degree optical connector and cable plugged into the back fine.

Back
Top Bottom