• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Caporegime
OP
Well @Grim5 reckons that 7nm TSMC wafers might be closer to $15k:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34608712/
Which changes things a bit. Also, it seems that my linked Ethercalc is down, so is an updated version:
https://ethercalc.net/php0rgyrm7ka
vIBC58b.png
Guess an online spreadsheet you don't have sign up to is too good to be true :(
Lots of guesswork about margins, selling prices, defects.

If those margins are about right the have made 270 Million $ Profit on the consoles up to now, probably a bit more at this point at those figures are from Q4 last year.

225 Million $ Profit on Zen 3.

15 Million $ Profit on Navi 21.

If they had use the 67.000 wafers they used on consoles for the 5800X they would have made 9.7 Billion $ Profit, not that they could have sold 43 Million 5800X's :D but it does go to show how much more profit is in the Zen 3 CPU's vs Consoles and GPU's

Caporegime
OP
They cost $30, maybe $40 or $50 to get them sales ready, they are not sold to board partners, a $450 5800X is probably sold to suppliers for $300 each minimum, $250 profit on each one.

This is how Intel make Billions, by selling millions of CPU's pocketing $250 on each one sold.

Caporegime
OP
Permabanned
It's ONE supplier!

Size is irrelevant.

On the contrary, size is the most important detail in this context.
This company can be as large as all the others gathered...

There is a very significant difference between being the largest and being a local village shop !

Soldato
On the contrary, size is the most important detail in this context.
This company can be as large as all the others gathered...

There is a very significant difference between being the largest and being a local village shop !

So like humbug has said and now you, IT'S ONE SUPPLIER!

Size is irrelevant to this statement

Associate
This is great but its only one supplier.

Sorry to go on... but just imagine that, if all AMD sold was Zen 3 CPU's and nothing else, and they sold every one they could make, AMD's income would match Intel's easily.

AMD GPU's and Consoles are a huge drain on their profitability.
That's what I've been saying for a while now.
Obviously if they wanted to sell millions of 5800X they might have to reduce prices a bit.
I also keep saying Wall Street's obsession with margin is crazy short-termism.
Better to sell 50 million at @ $100 profit than 10 million at @ $200.
Marketshare also buys mindshare.

Plus going back, it was like certain GPUs they didn't want to push so that after the full sunken costs of the R&D, they'd rather sell a few.
Okay HBM might have been a production nightmare, but even with Hawaii, I though that making it so tightly packed (the last time AMD beat Nvidia decidedly on perf/area) whereas paying a bit more for each die (and saving some power via wider and slower) would have had a much better return on their R&D.

Associate
It's a great sign for AMD that their CPUs are selling more than Intel. Puget a great resource for workstations and benchmarks, in the past favoured Intel, but their benchmarks and I imagine their own customers favor AMD when looking for highest workstation performance and yes, stability. Single and Multicore AMD dominates. They also only sell stock machines, nullifying any Intel overlocking advantage.

Associate
Looks like AMD bought extra capacity:
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20210312PD203.html
60CfG0p.png
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1370335123078455297
GiLCYl4.png
Bidding war doesn't sound good for the end price though. Zen3 CCDs could easily absorb costlier wafers (as long as they don't start taking good CCDs and cut them down to 4 core Athlons), but GPUs not so much.
Q2 onwards and a follow-on tweet also mentioned the long lead times
AP1aK6c.png
So any extra supplies will take a while.
Wonder if there is any sign of console demand tapering off in 2021 as even 10-20% less console demand would do wonders for CPU and GPU supplies.

Back
Top Bottom