Really getting tired of hacking now

Soldato
I've never had anything hacked so somethings going on with your accounts/PC i'd be scanning for malware if it was me

Closest I've had was I got a message that someone tried to access my account or change password or something but obviously failed I changed it make it more secure after that. Other than that nope, nothing. Don't even use 2FA either

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wow it appears I'm popular

Loads of attempted logins from all over the world

Netherlands and Russians seem persistent...

iCsoSTA.jpg

For sites and accounts that do not offer a form of 2FA, I have gone in and changed passwords with the randomly generated suggestion that Firefox pops up with then saves into its password manager. There is not a computer on the planet that can crack a password of that length in any reasonable amount of time so at the very least if you do not use 2FA, make sure your password is strong.

At least this way the only way they will hack into your account is if the service provider has a breach and passwords are not stored by them securely.

Soldato
Oh the irony :D

It's only ironic if you take what people say literally. Actual comprehension requires a bit more nuance when it comes to speech.

Taking sentences out of context is also a typical way of making something sound silly.

Yes I could have made it clearer by adding one word, but it wasnt absolutely necessary.

Soldato
It's only ironic if you take what people say literally. Actual comprehension requires a bit more nuance when it comes to speech.

Taking sentences out of context is also a typical way of making something sound silly.

Yes I could have made it clearer by adding one word, but it wasnt absolutely necessary.
Honestly, I understood exactly what it was you were saying. Pendants gonna pedant.

Caporegime
Honestly, I understood exactly what it was you were saying. Pendants gonna pedant.
"You have won a million pounds!"
"You could have won a million pounds!"

Yeah sure, just pedantry.

e: Anyway, if nothing else I found out that my email didn't already have 2fa enabled (I could have sworn it did). Also found multiple unsuccessful logons from Brazil, India and China. Just needed South Africa for a full house ;)

So thanks, OP!

Soldato
So rather than mud slinging

What would people suggest we use to help protect ourselves.

I use a pay version of lastpass for my passwords and notes
2FA is in place for most things (not that it helps totally with Paypal as proved by my recent hack issue)

Unfortunately, it's pretty much an unwritten rule on here that every thread will turn into a massive battle. It's beyond tedious now but you just have to try and filter past the usual suspects and extract the information you need.

I use 2fa on every account that I can, and I generally link that to my Microsoft app as I can approve the sign in request on my phone with my fingerprint. Some sites like PayPal will rely on a text message. I use a random password generator to create passwords and I store them in Google Chrome which means I never need to know or remember them. For any sites that I can't use Chrome (very few indeed) then I use bitwarden.

Caporegime
It’s constant now. In the last few weeks, I’ve had the following accounts hacked:

Uber eats
Spotify
Netflix
eBay
Microsoft account

All have different passwords, but that doesn’t seem to be making any difference. It’s gone from merely annoying to seriously troublesome now.

@robfosters , sorry to hear about it all, it's a pain.

As was mentioned previously go to this website:
https://haveibeenpwned.com

For the sites that you Have been hacked on already, type in the password that was present on those accounts into the above website in the 'Passwords' section, if it states it's been 'Pwned', change the password on the site it was used on AND(!!!) any other site you use that same password.

Then to reiterate what others have said amongst the rabble, set up 2FA where possible on other email accounts or websites. If the above doesn't make sense feel free to DM me.

Also scan everything, no harm in doing so, I'm going to go on the assumption that the accounts that got hacked are associated with the same email? If not, that's some bad luck.

Associate
OP, I don't suppose you have used the same password for your email account for other accounts? If any other website has been compromised that you have signed up to, and have had email addresses and passwords leaked, then there is a possibility they may have got into your email from there.

Passwords are a real pain to remember, but I have 2FA on any important services I use, and suggest you do this ASAP. It's quite easy to setup, but just remember to take a note of the recovery code (It should display during setup), as should anything happen to your phone with 2FA enabled, you're pretty much screwed. I also never save payment details on any accounts as an added measure.

What security do you have on your PC? Antivirus? Does it have anti malware built in? It's always good to make sure there is no malware before changing passwords as you could be back to square one.

Soldato
Because its common knowledge. So common that 11 Yr old who are taught about it most likely already knew about it.
No it isn't, the fact most IT professionals know about 2FA and high school students are now taught it on the current IT syllabus doesn't make it common knowledge. If you stopped people on the street and asked them what 2FA was less than 5% would be able to tell you and even less would be able to tell you what it does or how.

Hell you're statistically more likely to find somebody who can tell you how many milk bottle tops you need to make a Lancaster bomber than somebody who can correctly explain 2FA.

Also... this is GD. These responses are expected.
There is nothing in the GD/forum rules that requires you to mock/insult people who know less about recent developments in computer security than you.

Soldato
You're either easily phished or there's a key logger on a device.

Agreed, there’s no way this is a coincidence. You are either clicking on links and entering your details onto hackers fake versions of websites so they can see your password, or someone has a key logger monitoring what you type on your computer. Either way do what’s been advised.

Enable 2FA, and make sure your devices are clean. Find someone you are fiends with who is techy who knows more the you about this stuff and explain why and what you want to do so they can help you.

Soldato
No it isn't, the fact most IT professionals know about 2FA and high school students are now taught it on the current IT syllabus doesn't make it common knowledge. If you stopped people on the street and asked them what 2FA was less than 5% would be able to tell you and even less would be able to tell you what it does or how.

Hell you're statistically more likely to find somebody who can tell you how many milk bottle tops you need to make a Lancaster bomber than somebody who can correctly explain 2FA.

There is nothing in the GD/forum rules that requires you to mock/insult people who know less about recent developments in computer security than you.

*reverts to child like response mode*

Blah blah blah, shut up Mr sonic screwdriver

*goes back to sleep to dream about building bombers from milk bottle tops... from milk man bottles which mostly went out of use a decade ago...*

Soldato
Holy moly.

As said if MS are making you wait there must have been a load of issues flagged up. I would seriously consider closing that account when you regain control and creating a new one. if you have any banks or any other important services linked to that account, get them changed now. consider them all compromised until you do.

Learn about 2fa. create a new account and lock it down.

MS made me wait 30 days when I changed my mobile number. No flags, no suspicious activity & 2FA already enabled.

Although in the last month there have been several attempts from IPs resolving back to Vietnam.

Soldato
*reverts to child like response mode*

Blah blah blah, shut up Mr sonic screwdriver

*goes back to sleep to dream about building bombers from milk bottle tops... from milk man bottles which mostly went out of use a decade ago...*
U OK hun?

Maybe you should try and learn some basic KS3 social skills - my 11 year old would have responded better in this thread than you! :D

Back
Top Bottom